Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Aussie Open Tennis 2013

Comments

• Options
    Agree Ormy I somehow think that the Federer monkey is off Murrays back after the Olympic final. This is the Djokovic/Murray era now don't get me wrong for me Federer is the greatest player we have ever seen but his time is coming to an end and I don't believe Nadal will ever fully recover (I could be wrong) to be the force he was.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Would love to see Murray beat Federer - he can do it, but Federer is still scarily good. On a good day he is practically unbeatable. Djokovic has shown that he is vulnerable to aggressive play.
  • Options

Agree Ormy I somehow think that the Federer monkey is off Murrays back after the Olympic final. This is the Djokovic/Murray era now don't get me wrong for me Federer is the greatest player we have ever seen but his time is coming to an end and I don't believe Nadal will ever fully recover (I could be wrong) to be the force he was.

The main reason I fancy Murray is that as a younger bloke he should be that bit fitter than Federer and better able to cope with the heat and fatigue of so many games so quickly.

Djokovic worries me though, he is awesome in Melbourne and very well supported by the huge local Serbian population.
  • Options
    Djokovic (1)
    Berdych (5)

Ferrer (4)
    Almagro (10)

Chardy
    Murray (3)

Tsonga (7)
    Federer (2)

QF line-up.
  • Options
    Djokovic worries me though, he is awesome in Melbourne and very well supported by the huge local Serbian population.

Bloody hell Ormy I have to say Djokovic looks awesome most of the time he is some player/athlete/competitor
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Berdych and Tsonga can beat anyone on their day and Berdych has been a bit of a bogeyman for Murray if he does get past Novak. Ferrer's no mug either.

Murray certainly has a half decent chance in this tournament and hopefully, having now won a slam, will cope with the pressure better too.

• Options
    All good points Le although Murray has a good record against Tsonga I wouldn't be too nervous if he had to play him. Ferrer agree the man is a fierce competitor but for me only really has a chance against Murray on clay, faster courts the age difference and power of Murray should see him through. But I like you think mens tennis at the moment is one of the most compelling sports to watch.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Ferrer has one trick. It's a very good trick. But if he can't outserve his opponent he shows signs of wear quite early on into the second set. Murray is one of, if not THE best returner in the world at the moment, and he also can vary his strategies throughout a match to respond to what his opponent is doing. If Ferrer is on form and banging aces past him he might drop a set, but I think he has learned not to be his own worst enemy, and has the resilience to come back, as we saw in the US open. Also let's not forget AM is on fire at the moment and hasn't dropped a set. Having said that Ferrer is also a fighter, and has the potential to dig in and make things uncomfortable for AM, but I think Murray is the better player.
  • Options
    Novak will have a game on his hands with berdych
  • Options
    Djokovic has an 11-1 h2h record v Berdych, his only loss against him coming on grass a few years ago. Can't see that changing.

Berdych is just like Ferrer in that they are both comfortably better than anyone outside the top 10, but neither are good enough to beat any of the top 4.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Djokovic beat Berdych in four. Ferrer through in five against Almagro after being two sets down.

In the women's side of the draw, Sloane Stephens (the US girl who knocked out Laura Robson) has just beaten Serena Williams in three sets in the last QF.

Was expecting Murray to be done by now, not only just starting...
  • Options
    Nineteen year old Sloan Stephens has just put Serena Williams out, albeit Serena wad playing with a back injury. This Stephens kid looks the real deal though.

Murray up next. Things just seem to be going his way at the moment with all the big names, except Federer, dropping out of his half and Novak having to work harder for his wins than usual. This Chardy bloke is dangerous though.I watched him beat Del Potro and Seppi and he had a massive forehand which is a real weapon if he's getting it to land inside the court. Murray should be a step too far but I'm not counting any Chickens yet.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    So having said all that, Murray breaks in the first game. 2-0 up now.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Murray takes the first set 6-4. Was 4-0 up at one point though. Chardy finding his feet, second set could be interesting.

Murray has apparently won something like 87 and lost only 6 of the matches in majors where he has won the first set.
  • Options
    Second goes to Murray 6-1. I need to stop trying to call what's going to happen next!
  • Options
    All over. Turned into a routine win in the end.
  • Options
    Murray, one word...BRUTAL! and still not into top gear. Thought Stevens was clever, changing the pace and direction with a maturity beyond her years.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Apart from that one blip where he let 4-0 slip to 6-4, a very professional job done by Murray.

Federer and Tsonga playing out a classic right now. Federer 2-1 up in sets but Tsonga is a break up in the fourth. Winner plays Murray in SF.
  • Options
    Oops. Back on serve as soon as I post that.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    And Tsonga breaks AGAIN. Three breaks all in a row. Tsonga to serve for the set and 2-2.

Seals it with an ace.

Tsonga 6-7 6-4 6-7 6-3 Federer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A 5 setter for Fed is good news for Murray
  • Options
    Federer now a break up in the fifth.
  • Options
    Semi Final will be on BBC2 at 8.30am Friday
  • Options
    JT said:

Semi Final will be on BBC2 at 8.30am Friday

I need to leave to go to a meeting at 10.30, so hope Murray can get it over with quickly ;-)
  • Options
    Federer through in 5 sets.

7-6 4-6 7-6 3-6 6-3.
  • Options
    Nervous for AM. RF on fire the last few games I've seen. Would have laid money on AM beating Tsonga, Federer still has a few tricks up his sleeve. Depends which players turn up. If AM can stick to his guns, stay calm under prressure he can roll over Federer. If Federer rises to his heights I see a brutal five sets.
  • Options
    Sharapova destroyed by Li Na 6-2 6-2, quite a surprise there.

Djokovic currently hammering poor Ferrer in straight sets.
  • Options
    Outstanding performance from Djokovic.

Wins 6-2 6-2 6-1 in 89 minutes.
  • Options
    Seems the Djokovic steamroller is pretty unstopable. Although Murray hasn't dropped a set he isn't, by his own admission, playing his best. But then again hasn't been pushed too either. I'm sure he'll raise his game against Federer. Although he has an excellent record against him he's never beaten in him in a Slam. Time to put that one to bed and I think he will. A final agianst Djokovic will be quite different.
  • Options
    Murray vs Federer coverage live on BBC2 now, match starts in half an hour.