Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Prison sentence for Chelsea Supporters in possession of flares

Stone posted this on another thread, but thought it should be highlighted seperately.

Chelsea Football Club has received confirmation that two of the three Chelsea supporters arrested in possession of flares at the Capital One Cup match at Swansea last week have been sentenced to 28 days imprisonment.

They have also been banned from attending football games for six years, while a third supporter has been banned for three years. All three will be banned from Stamford Bridge for 10 years by the club.

There has recently been an increase in the presence of flares and fireworks at games, which have the potential to cause harm and distress, and are a fire risk. They are banned by law inside football stadiums, and Chelsea FC will work closely with police and staff at other grounds to ensure such offences and dangerous behaviour is prevented.

Comments

• Options
    Cheers CE , how do they get away with it in Italy , or are they a bit more relaxed when it comes to this sort of thing?
  • Options
    Utterly pathetic over reaction. Burgle, nick a car, GBH etc etc conditional discharge, fine or community service. Wave some blue smoke around? Prison. Joke.
  • Options
    Have to agree with you Clem, completely OTT reaction which, sadly, has become the norm in this country of ours.
  • Options
    Smoke bombs it is
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Smoke bombs it is

And petrol bombs.
  • Options

Utterly pathetic over reaction. Burgle, nick a car, GBH etc etc conditional discharge, fine or community service. Wave some blue smoke around? Prison. Joke.

I assume its to make an example. Agree though, maybe there were other factors.
  • Options
    How ridiculous
  • Options
    Have most of you failed to notice that the serious night club fire in Brazil was caused by a flare.
  • Options

Have most of you failed to notice that the serious night club fire in Brazil was caused by a flare.

there is your clue
  • Options

How is Swansea's modern, spacious Liberty Stadium in any way comparable architecturally to that night club ? The only link is that pyrotechnics were involved in both
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2013
    What's the point of that sentence they will do all of 12 days
  • Options
    se9addick said:

How is Swansea's modern, spacious Liberty Stadium in any way comparable architecturally to that night club ? The only link is that pyrotechnics were involved in both
    Maybe have a word with some Bradford fans about what its like when a football stadium catches fire...
  • Options
    DRF said:

se9addick said:

Maybe have a word with some Bradford fans about what its like when a football stadium catches fire...
    Grounds have moved on a bit since then though.
  • Options
    and the flare that was carried by the gold medal winner through a packed BBC audiance on Sports Personality of the Year ? how long will he get in the clink?
  • Options

DRF said:

se9addick said:

Grounds have moved on a bit since then though.
    And flares are quite a lot hotter than cigarette butts.
  • Options
    OTT reaction, but I'm not a fan of them purely because every club seems to be doing it now and it doesn't really hold an unique value.

Just like the introduction of loads of foreign songs into British fan culture the past couple of years, I don't get it.
  • Options
    A custodial sentance seems very harsh for the offence unless there are other factors involved not mentioned in the article.

Does smack of breaking a butterfly on a wheel for the sake of setting an example.

It is still an offence though whether you agree with it or not. The law is the law.

Does make you wonder how the palace "ultras" have got away with for so long given how much CCTV there is around.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    se9addick said:

Fine. I have no problem with a stiff sentence to set an example.

But then somebody who steals a car, or causes GBH should also get a stiff sentence.
    10 years inside for burglary would be a good start, followed by life for rape or GBH.

Then that would be consistant.

• Options
    Absoloute joke.

Treated worse than nonces!
  • Options
    "They are banned by law inside football stadiums" is the relevant point that some are missing. Just because you don't agree with it, doesn't mean it's not still the law! If you don't like it, then lobby your MP to get the law changed.

A fire in a crowded stadium would cause problems, even if the infrastructure has vastly improved since the Bradford fire. There is potential to cause injury (possibly worse) with thousands of people panicking and running for the exits.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Cheers CE , how do they get away with it in Italy , or are they a bit more relaxed when it comes to this sort of thing?

Not sure our police have any jurisdiction over in Italy....
  • Options
    DRF said:

se9addick said:

Wasn't the roof of the stand involved in the tragedy made of wood ? I haven't carried out a full inspection but I'm fairly certain that the liberty stadium, opened in 2005, isn't made of wood.

They were idiots but lets not pretend that the likely impact of their actions were the deaths of hundreds of people as in the two terrible events cited by way of comparison in this thread. Try and show a bit of common sense.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

se9addick said:

But then somebody who steals a car, or causes GBH should also get a stiff sentence.
    10 years inside for burglary would be a good start, followed by life for rape or GBH.

The point of stiff sentances to set an example is that they are one-off examples. Are you suggesting that nobody who steals a car or causes harm EVER gets a stiff sentance? Because that is simply not true. Some are made an example of. If you want everyone to get a stiff sentance then you want zero torrelance which is something completely different.
    I assume you do have endless amounds of evidence to back up that no one has ever got life for GBH?
  • Options
    Wilma said:

"They are banned by law inside football stadiums" is the relevant point that some are missing. Just because you don't agree with it, doesn't mean it's not still the law! If you don't like it, then lobby your MP to get the law changed.

I don't think people are missing the point, they just think there should be some kind of consistency with regards to other, is some people's opinion, more serious crimes.
  • Options
    Wilma said:

A fire in a crowded stadium would cause problems, even if the infrastructure has vastly improved since the Bradford fire. There is potential to cause injury (possibly worse) with thousands of people panicking and running for the exits.

don't think the complaints are down to whether it should be illegal or not,it's down to the fact that they are so quick to harshly prosecute football fans for minor offences whilst muggers,rapists,paedos etc are all handed joke sentences by a messed up judicial system

• Options
    SE10 said:

Absoloute joke.

Treated worse than nonces!

Yeah clearly
  • Options
    DRF said:

Oggy Red said:

se9addick said:

The point of stiff sentances to set an example is that they are one-off examples. Are you suggesting that nobody who steals a car or causes harm EVER gets a stiff sentance? Because that is simply not true. Some are made an example of.

If you want everyone to get a stiff sentance then you want zero torrelance which is something completely different.
    I assume you do have endless amounds of evidence to back up that no one has ever got life for GBH?
    You say,"Some are made an example of".

And many are not. British justice, eh?

• Options

I have often found that football stadiums these days aren't indoors, aren't made of wood and don't have flammable fixtures and fittings.

Nightclubs also don't have massive patches of empty grass in the middle just in case something goes wrong.

• Options
    12 days hardly making a example is it
  • Options
    It's a criminal record though