Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Prison sentence for Chelsea Supporters in possession of flares

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I agree with the point that it is unlikely that stadiums will be brunt down, but there is the risk to individuals especially if some idiot decides to throw the flare on the pitch, all you need is a poor throw and a fellow supporter is seriously injured. Don't agree with a jail sentence or the six year ban unless there is more behind it.
  • Options
    SE10 said:

Absoloute joke.

Treated worse than nonces!

Talking of overeactions...
  • Options
    True just thought they had done away with these sentences .
  • Options
    The kind of thread on here that needs to be clicked away from...
  • Options
    Why, in every thread, is the word "nonces" being mentioned ?
  • Options
    shut it you nonce - you going tomorrow MOG ?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Have most of you failed to notice that the serious night club fire in Brazil was caused by a flare.

I have often found that football stadiums these days aren't indoors, aren't made of wood and don't have flammable fixtures and fittings.

Nightclubs also don't have massive patches of empty grass in the middle just in case something goes wrong.

So its ok to set flares off then ?

They are fire hazards and therefore illegal unless used for emergency situations.

• Options
    PL54 said:

Love to, but....

1). No ticket
    2). No money.

Will try and watch our flares from SE26.

• Options
    It will be an emergency situation if we go two up tomorrow.
  • Options
    I just thought that the comparison between an enclosed nightclub with locked doors and a football stadium was poor - nothing to do with the legality of pyrotechnics
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

PL54 said:

Love to, but....

1). No ticket
    2). No money.

Will try and watch our flares from SE26.

Mate - if you can find a ticket I will genuinely buy it for you. You can't miss this one fella'.

It's also just up the road from you.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I won't disagree that flares 'can' be dangerous but just a couple of points.

There are very few stadia where there is anything flammable in the stands. Most are steel, concrete and plastic seats. Stands like the one at Valley Parade are few and far between - tomorrow being one of the few exceptions.

Secondly, what law were the Chelsea fans breaking? As far as I'm aware. there is no law that prevents you from carrying around pyrotechnics which are available on open sale. Certainly nothing within the UK Firearms Law and nothing within the Ground Regulations at (for example) CAFC. If I were them I would have sacked my brief.

Happy to be proved wrong.
  • Options

PL54 said:

Have most of you failed to notice that the serious night club fire in Brazil was caused by a flare.

I have often found that football stadiums these days aren't indoors, aren't made of wood and don't have flammable fixtures and fittings.

Nightclubs also don't have massive patches of empty grass in the middle just in case something goes wrong.

They are fire hazards and therefore illegal unless used for emergency situations.

PL54 said:

I think you're missing the point of the thread mate. What's more the comparison is chalk and cheese. I agree flares are dangerous in a stadium environment but the banning order and sentence is ridiculous, in my opinion
  • Options
    edited February 2013

PL54 said:

They are fire hazards in the wrong environment - an open air stadia constructed of steel and concrete would come down low on the list of hazardous risk areas.

They are not illegal.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

PL54 said:

They are fire hazards in the wrong environment - an open air stadia constructed of steel and concrete would come down low on the list of hazardous risk areas.

They are not illegal.
    This is my first This
  • Options
    You'll get less for driving down a street and killing a pedestrian or cyclist
  • Options
    This is good news - hopefully it will make anyone thinking of taking these devices into a football match think again.
  • Options
    http://ow.ly/hkec2 think they're taking a tough stance from now on with them. Found on cafc twitter
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Amazing, so Wembley is the exception when all the fireworks go off when lifting the cup. Double standards I say. 20/20 cricket also exempt from the law it seems.
  • Options
    Any other links to this story?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    J BLOCK said:

Smoketink bombs it is

• Options
    Spanish said:

Addickted said:

PL54 said:

They are not illegal.
    This is my first This
    They are fire hazards - nothing to do with buildings (wooden or not). I saw a bloke set on fire in the Army by a flare in the open air. I wouldn't chuck them about in a crowd
  • Options
    Addickted said:

PL54 said:

They are not illegal.
    Sorry to disappoint the court of Charlton Life but S.80 Explosives Act would say otherwise. You cannot go around letting off explosives in a public place and not expect there to be consequences I'm afraid, legal or otherwise. We can argue whether the penalty is appropriate or not, that's another matter, but it's not a surprise really that a (very short) custodial sentence has been given as the court will want to send a message that it takes public safety seriously and offer a deterrent.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    How much do these things cost?
  • Options
    £3

Described as "smoke grenades" in court which last for 90 seconds.

One of the convicted has previous as a ticket tout.
  • Options
    For anyone that can be bothered to read it, all the relevant law is summarised here:

http://www.fsf.org.uk/media/uploaded/Stand Up Sit Down Fact Sheet.pdf
  • Options
    Spanish said:

PL54 said:

PL54 said:

I think you're missing the point of the thread mate. What's more the comparison is chalk and cheese. I agree flares are dangerous in a stadium environment but the banning order and sentence is ridiculous, in my opinion
    what if you are stood next to a Nigel Ultra, have you considered his face paint & curly red 'n blue comedy wig might be highly flammable??!!
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Addickted said:

PL54 said:

They are not illegal.
    Sorry to disappoint the court of Charlton Life but S.80 Explosives Act would say otherwise. You cannot go around letting off explosives in a public place and not expect there to be consequences I'm afraid, legal or otherwise. We can argue whether the penalty is appropriate or not, that's another matter, but it's not a surprise really that a (very short) custodial sentence has been given as the court will want to send a message that it takes public safety seriously and offer a deterrent.
    Not true.

Section 80 (of the 1875 Explosive Act) forbids you to throw fireworks in a public place.

1) A flare is not deemed to be a firework.
    2) Setting off a flare is not throwing it.
    3) If you're over 18 it's not an offence to be in possession of a flare (Regulation 4 of the Fireworks Act 2003)
    4) Flares aren't a category 4 Firework (Regulation 5 of the Fireworks Act 2003)

Flares do not explode and are therefore not deemed to be part of the 1875 Explosive Act.
  • Options
    the same smokebombs I've seen used at a 15 year olds paintball party can land you in prison? there is no fire hazard to a cold burning smoke bomb (there is no fire,just inflammable chemicals)