Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby - I don't get it

Comments

• Options
    Vinnie V. said:

If you watch the top ten goals of all time you will see beautiful curled free kicks, magnificently controlled volleys from 40 yards, & unbelievable skill and trickery.

If you watch the top 10 tries. It will always just be a fat lad running with a "ball" in his hand.

But some of the great goals are team goals, where a series of passes leads to a great finish, e.g. the Hales goal of the season which started by our corner flag. The best Rugby tries are similar. Others of course, are much more like Stoke City goal mouth scrambles!
  • Options
    Love watching international rugby but never been into the club scene. Which is a shame as a couple of my mates are big Wasps fans and regularly go to games, which they say are fantastic. They usually have to watch them again on telly though cos they're completely shitfaced by halftime.
  • Options
    Absolutely love it. Think I almost prefer playing it to football.
  • Options
    Played rugby for a bit to try and please my dad (post divorce thing) and hated every minute. Far too physical for me and I was never comfortable sharing a big bath with nine year old boys.
  • Options
    chazza said:

I'd love to see the likes of bale, Suarez and the other cheats who throw themselves around on a rugby pitch. The thing with rugby is the players just get on with it, no surrounding the ref becausec they cant get their own way, no rolling around after chipping a finger nail etc, etc.

It's views like this that make me dislike rugby.

moaning to a ref is far worse than scraping your studs up someones back or squeezing their nuts till they pop, yeah? Its a mans game, well done.
  • Options
    Grown rugger toffs drinking til they strip naked and vomit in the pub after singing expletive filled ditties all night.... good wholesome fun by gentlemen.

Kids lighting flares at football after too many stellas.......the act of heinous animal scum.
  • Options
    I used to find rugby boring, but over the years have learned to like it a lot. Like PL54 I find the rules baffling some of the time, but I just go with the flow and trust that the ref knows what he is doing.

I can understand those that dislike the snobbery and the rugger bugger antics, but that is really the equivalent of not liking football because of overpaid players and hooliganism - it should not take away from the qualities involved in the actual game.
  • Options
    Bloody egg chasers.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    My best mate recently sacked off years of being a ST holder at Charlton to start playing rugby on saturdays. Seems to enjoy it but as far as our friendship is concerned he may has well have told me he likes to dress up in his mother's clothes.

• Options

Grown rugger toffs drinking til they strip naked and vomit in the pub after singing expletive filled ditties all night.... good wholesome fun by gentlemen.

Kids lighting flares at football after too many stellas.......the act of heinous animal scum.

Could never understand this attitude. Some of the most obnoxious blokes I've met have been members of the local rugby club, tossers to a man after a few shandies yet they're seen as good ol' rugger lads. It's a class thing a lot of the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fantastic game,great atmosphere at Twickenham.Proper supporters who know how to have a good time without damaging parked cars.Supporters who are all mixed in together and enjoy a bit of banter together without any nastiness.Exciting game played by great athletes at a furious pace.Go to see as many games as I can,great to pop down to Blackheath now and again.Dont understand the antipathy of some football fans to Rugby.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Fantastic game,great atmosphere at Twickenham.Proper supporters who know how to have a good time without damaging parked cars.Supporters who are all mixed in together and enjoy a bit of banter together without any nastiness.Exciting game played by great athletes at a furious pace.Go to see as many games as I can,great to pop down to Blackheath now and again.Dont understand the antipathy of some football fans to Rugby.

Perpetuating a myth doesn't make it fact.

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/7985199.Rugby_fans_blamed_for_car_park_damage/?ref=eb
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

In fairness, I don't understand the envy some rugby fans have for footballs popularity though DP?
  • Options

dickplumb said:

In fairness, I don't understand the envy some rugby fans have for footballs popularity though DP?
    Envy, snobbery and myths of being in some way "better". Plus it is just sooooo tedious to watch.

Still if Blackheath want to move to the Valley and pay for a new pitch ala Saracens at Watford then I'm all for it.
  • Options
    I love rugby and enjoy the tactics, the fitness levels and ball handling skills. I don't say it's a better game than football, just different. I could never be as passionate about a rugby team than I am about Charlton however. The same with cricket. Love the sport but it doesn't engender the same pulse-quickening excitement as footie.
  • Options

dickplumb said:

Perpetuating a myth doesn't make it fact.

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/7985199.Rugby_fans_blamed_for_car_park_damage/?ref=eb
    brilliant.
  • Options

chazza said:

I'd love to see the likes of bale, Suarez and the other cheats who throw themselves around on a rugby pitch. The thing with rugby is the players just get on with it, no surrounding the ref becausec they cant get their own way, no rolling around after chipping a finger nail etc, etc.

moaning to a ref is far worse than scraping your studs up someones back or squeezing their nuts till they pop, yeah? Its a mans game, well done.
    Which is no different to kicking, intentional fouls, etc, etc.

All sports have there good and bad points to them.

By the way, scraping your studs up someone's back is quite legal if you are on the wrong side of the ruck, not many players get on the wrong side, I wonder why?

I love both sports for the record
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

chazza said:

By the way, scraping your studs up someone's back is quite legal if you are on the wrong side of the ruck, not many players get on the wrong side, I wonder why?

So if its the same, then i dont understand why Rugby fans feel the continual need to bring up footballers behaviour to slate the game.

Perhaps its like the inferior complex we see with Millwall.
  • Options

chazza said:

Its all about opinion and I can see where you're coming from. I don't recall saying it was a mans game? Yes there are things that go on that probably shouldn't. What I'm trying to say is that they just get on with the game and respect a decision. In football that rarely happens nowadays.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    chazza said:

chazza said:

Its all about opinion and I can see where you're coming from. I don't recall saying it was a mans game? Yes there are things that go on that probably shouldn't. What I'm trying to say is that they just get on with the game and respect a decision. In football that rarely happens nowadays.

I wasnt saying you said it was 'a mans game' mate, just that its the tired old cliche that Rugby fans seem to hold over footballers.

Anybody thats played football has got annoyed with a referee's decisions at some point and argued it. If they havent then they are lying. Perhaps its easier for rugby players to accept a decision because the offences in rugby are clearer and more obvious?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Croydon said:

You get a scrum for a knock on(dropping the ball forwards),forward pass,accidental offsides(running into a member of your own team when in possession of the ball),being held up over the tryline,if the opposition place the ball down in their own try area having carried it over themselves,when the ball is unplayable at the bottom of a ruck and if a maul stops moving. I think that's most of the reasons.

Line-outs (throw-ins)-have to be thrown straight or a scrum to the opposition

Offside-if in front of the kicker on your own team,standing less than 5 metres from the back of a scrum,standing less than 10 metres from a lineout (unless you're a scrumhalf) or standing in front of the back foot of a ruck or maul

Penalties-given for any infringement of the offside rule,or any foul play ranging from obstructions to dangerous tackles.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for posting that Croydon. I started reading it last night & I've just woken up :-)
    I want to like rugby & try to watch the "big" England games, if they don't clash. However, I personally find it so boring most of the time. I can recall free flowing games that I've enjoyed on one hand.
    I enjoyed the World Cup Final. It kicked off at about 10am if I recall correctly.
    Charlton were away somewhere & I met my mates at Cross Keys Gracechurch St at about 9am. Watched the final, then went to Charlton's away game.
    Lager for breakfast. Now that was a great day.
  • Options

chazza said:

chazza said:

I wasnt saying you said it was 'a mans game' mate, just that its the tired old cliche that Rugby fans seem to hold over footballers.
    Fair enough mate. As I said I can see where you're coming from. And your are spot on about rugby fans.

• Options
    chazza said:

chazza said:

good point, it's one aspect of the game i'd like to see in football, some respect for thr ref and his decisions.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

chazza said:

chazza said:

good point, it's one aspect of the game i'd like to see in football, some respect for thr ref and his decisions.
    thats all well and good but from my small amount of knowledge of Rugby it seems like the decisions within the game are more clear to make, and easier for the players to accept?

Im not saying football players have a right to argue or abuse officials, but its perhaps where the frustration comes from.
  • Options

chazza said:

chazza said:

thats all well and good but from my small amount of knowledge of Rugby it seems like the decisions within the game are more clear to make, and easier for the players to accept?
    Is there a link between you liking Friends and not liking rugby? I think their might be.

Does your husband like either?
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

chazza said:

chazza said:

Is there a link between you liking Friends and not liking rugby? I think their might be.

Does your husband like either?
    could be mate. i stopped liking rugby when Gareth Thomas retired...maybe that means something.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Possibly but I think footballers have far too much mouth especiall the C word when talking to officials.
  • Options

cafc999 said:

chazza said:

So if its the same, then i dont understand why Rugby fans feel the continual need to bring up footballers behaviour to slate the game.

Perhaps its like the inferior complex we see with Millwall.
    I think your missing the point Gary, I don't know why rugby fans keep bringing up, but I can see why they bring it up.
    For example, sportspeople are role models that are looked up to by many small children who then go out and emulate there favourite player. I have witnessed this first hand when running the line for my son's under 14 team when I have given a throw in and the opposing payer has told me to eff off. I have even seen kids surround the ref after giving a penalty.

It is down to the FA to sort this out like the RFU done with rugby but unfortunately the players and media have to much power.

Maybe people should just see the two different games for what they are......different.

• Options

(Love football, of course, but) I like rugby, tennis, cricket and even enjoyed the American Football the other night. Shoot me.

There's a lot to respect in all of them, especially the tactics of gridiron (the basic rules are way easier to understand than rugby for me!). If you can get the rules, there's a decent chance you'll get engrossed int he game - provided you Sky+ American sports and fast forward the crap talk, which in all fairness is a much better level of talk than we get for football!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I would like to see footballers with bags of fake blood hidden down there socks. Christiano Ronaldo could take play acting to another level. Imagine the fake blood exploding everywhere, when he has just been fouled would add to the atmosphere.

In all seriousnes though Rugby is cack.