Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby - I don't get it

12346»

Comments

• Options

LOL! It's a man's game - Belgium v Georgia Rugby World Cup qualifier descends into huge brawl

See http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/video/2013/feb/05/rugby-belgium-georgia-brawl-video

Imagine the outrage if this was football!

It would be front page news for a couple of days...which is why I think some people get annoying with the game.

They feel it gets too much coverage outside of the sports pages compared to other sports although you have to expect that...
  • Options
    Danepak said:

Watch rugby league. Proper edge of the seat stuff, if you follow a team.
    Also more brutal.
    I understand that union is a far more complex game...but it's just boring to watch.
    Scrum. Scrum collapses. Ref blows whistle.
    Redo scrum, which collapses. Ref blows whistle.
    Redo scrum, which collapses. Ref blows whistle.
    Redo scrum. Ref blows whistle. Penalty.
    2 mins later, 3 points earned. Yawn.

You will rarely see a scrum re-set more than once, the referees have a very low tolerance if they see someone not binding properly or some other minor infringement they'll award a freekick or penalty immediately. So prevalent is this that many teams barely bother practicing back row moves any more.

Prior to the rule change they would re-set the scrum multiple times and it was a genuine set piece and feature of the game. Another thing that has wrecked the scrum as a feature in the game is the mass substitition of players. Watching a team wear down and dominate a scrum over the course of a match used to be part of the game, now around the 60 minute mark both teams bring on a fresh hoker and front row forward or two and the whole dynamic changes.

• Options

Valley11 said:

Can't we stop using the word 'rugger'....it's the equivalent of wacky new sports presenters call football 'footie'.

I use it to annoy Rugger fans : - )

It is actually a very old word from the late 1800s. Like soccer.
    Exactly....soccer, urgh.
  • Options
    redcarter said:

Rugby and cricket have piss poor attendances so try to pool resources, I think that's the point

Ahem,
    Cricket has the record for the biggest attendance at any sporting event in the world - Any MCG Test match involving England.

• Options

redcarter said:

Rugby and cricket have piss poor attendances so try to pool resources, I think that's the point

Ahem,
    Cricket has the record for the biggest attendance at any sporting event in the world - Any MCG Test match involving England.

LOL - Very good.
  • Options
    I do hope I never see any of you at Blackheath.