Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby - I don't get it

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Croydon said:

chazza said:

chazza said:

Chill out lads - we've got much more important things to discuss - like why did our game on New Years Day start at 12.30 instead of 3 .

And in keeping with the theme of this thread, who should play centre for England on Sunday!
    tuilagi
    Gotta be 12trees, he had a blinder against the sweaties. Tuilagi is good as a shock runner but can't pass nor can he kick. Billy 12trees is the man for me, as an ex stand off he can do the lot. Shame that Ben Morgan is unfit, Just as he was showing what a powerful no8 he is. Haskell though is an excellent replacement
    Agreed. 12trees and Barritt for me. Dropping Barritt would be suicide against O Driscoll with how well he holds our defence together.

I like 12trees but can't see tuilagi being left out. Barritt is a fixture in the team now. Whoever gets the nod will do a job I'm sure.
    I see Tualigi nowadays more as winger, he's so powerful and a great finisher. Tactically in midfield, both attack and defence, 12trees is more experienced and the better all rounder. The thing is I like Brown on the wing, no great pace but a great footballer, very aware and astute. If Tualigi replaces anyone it should be Ashton, but that just will not happen. I will be disappointed if Lancaster does not select 12trees for saturday. Barrit is a shoo-in. He'd tackle a rhinoceros if necessary and he improves in attack with every game
    After what you've said I can't help think what a great impact Tuilagi would have coming off the bench at around the 60 minute mark,his pace and power against a relatively tired Irish defence after 12trees and Barritt have already worn them down.

But I think after his performance against NZ,Lancaster is sure to start him

i totally agree .. with the replacement arguement. Billy 12 should start as no12
  • Options
    LenGlover is correct, cricket is still played in state schools up here in Yorkshire. Something to do with still having green fields to play on I think.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Spanish said:

Hmmn... Henners, given the introduction of Sky TV and now the Heineken Cup, I think you'd be suprised how difficult you would find it to buy a ticket for most club matches. Quinns normally move their fixture to Twickenham and Sara's vice versa to Wembley for their clashes and they tend to sell out quickly.

Exactly. Quins broke a world record when they got 82000 to a Twickenham game, only for Saracens to go and break it with an attendance of nearly 84,000 at Wembley a few weeks later. Quins, Leicester, Northampton all consistently sell out their matches. Obviously the attendences are not what premiership football's are, but they are getting more and more impressive for rugby.

Anyway, really boring argument that I phrased wrong earlier (Sorry Henry). Both sports are brilliant, and lets just leave it as that.

• Options

LenGlover is correct, cricket is still played in state schools up here in Yorkshire. Something to do with still having green fields to play on I think.

Cricket has always been problematic for schools. The main part of the season is during the long school summer holiday
  • Options

Always thought you were a fairly reasonable poster but comments like ' Bit of a draw back when you work in "marketing" ' make you out to be a bit of the kn*b that others seem to think you are

lmfao

• Options

Cricket has always been problematic for schools. The main part of the season is during the long school summer holiday

Spanish said:

Hmmn... Henners, given the introduction of Sky TV and now the Heineken Cup, I think you'd be suprised how difficult you would find it to buy a ticket for most club matches. Quinns normally move their fixture to Twickenham and Sara's vice versa to Wembley for their clashes and they tend to sell out quickly.

Exactly. Quins broke a world record when they got 82000 to a Twickenham game, only for Saracens to go and break it with an attendance of nearly 84,000 at Wembley a few weeks later. Quins, Leicester, Northampton all consistently sell out their matches. Obviously the attendences are not what premiership football's are, but they are getting more and more impressive for rugby.

Anyway, really boring argument that I phrased wrong earlier (Sorry Henry). Both sports are brilliant, and lets just leave it as that.

Don't forget Exeter & Gloucester
  • Options
    Rugger attendances certainly rising but that is from a very low point.

2012/3 average is 12,145 per match in the premiership which is still a lot less than the Npower Championship.

Choice said:

Always thought you were a fairly reasonable poster but comments like ' Bit of a draw back when you work in "marketing" ' make you out to be a bit of the kn*b that others seem to think you are

lmfao

Strange to see you posting without calling for Powell to be sacked Phil? We must have lost at the weekend

• Options

Spanish said:

Don't forget Exeter & Gloucester
    Can probably add Bath as well. Remember rugby only became professional 1995. Attendences, Sponsorship (look at Saracens deal with Allianz) , prize money, salaries are just going to keep on getting bigger and bigger and rugby will continue to grow very quickly.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    In England, Football is NOT called soccer, Rugby is NOT called Rugger
  • Options

Spanish said:

Apology accepted. Kiss and make up : - )

Rugger is still a boring minority sport with pretensions of grandeur and small crowds other than the big show piece games : -)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Haha kissed and made up ;)
  • Options
    It seems that 'Henry Irving' and 'rugger' have much in common .. in sharing 'Pretensions of grrrrandeur'
  • Options
    Aww bless you two :o)
  • Options

It seems that 'Henry Irving' and 'rugger' have much in common .. in sharing 'Pretensions of grrrrandeur'

Lucky for me I have almost nothing in common with either rugger or you.

• Options

Lucky for me I have almost nothing in common with either rugger or you.

Leave it Hinge and Bracket!
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Spanish said:

Rugger is still a boring minority sport with pretensions of grandeur and small crowds other than the big show piece games : -)
    Absolutely love that quote. Encapsulates my feelings towards rugby even more along with all the bizarre "proper broke/lads" connotations that seem to go with those associated with it. In my experience, a good chunk of those playing the sport are silly w*nkers. I suppose some would say the same for football too, however.
  • Options
    Each to their own. It's never been my cup of meat, though. Can't get my head round the crowd going wild at someone's ability to kick the ball off of the pitch.
  • Options

Spanish said:

Absolutely love that quote. Encapsulates my feelings towards rugby even more along with all the bizarre "proper broke/lads" connotations that seem to go with those associated with it. In my experience, a good chunk of those playing the sport are silly w*nkers. I suppose some would say the same for football too, however.

Feel free to quote it as and when. : - )

• Options

What i find most odd is how football fans seem only to like football, and look down on sports such as cricket, rugby etc...whereas rugby fans seem to enjoy the vast majority of sports. Obviously a huge generalization but just seems to be the trend.

Sorry, but that is bollocks. Taking me as an an example, I love cricket and i like lots of other sports too but find rugby to be very dull and another point is that a lot of so called 'rugger' fans who say it is better than football are basing their comparison on rugger internationals.
  • Options

What i find most odd is how football fans seem only to like football, and look down on sports such as cricket, rugby etc...whereas rugby fans seem to enjoy the vast majority of sports. Obviously a huge generalization but just seems to be the trend.

Sorry, but that is bollocks. Taking me as an an example, I love cricket and i like lots of other sports too but find rugby to be very dull and another point is that a lot of so called 'rugger' fans who say it is better than football are basing their comparison on rugger internationals.
    As stated many times, i got the phrasing wrong. Let me try again.....I would be willing to bet a rather large sum of money that more football fans only follow/play football, than rugby fans only follow/play rugby (percentage wise of course as football has a far larger fan base).

Anyway its been done to death this afternoon. Lets just watch some young English talent destroy Brazil shall we!!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    PL54 said:

the ladies who turn up are a far better standard than at football games

Q.E.D.
  • Options
    (cross-reference that w/ my post on page 1 about the aesthetics of rugby)
  • Options
    Each to their own but I love football, boxing, cricket and rugby

Id like to see the acknowledgement and respect for the officials in boxing and rugby a bit more in football but it would be like trying to ban firearms in the states now.

I played rugby to a good level and liked it for different reasons to football, I dont like people who say they like rugby purely because they dont like football or because they were shite footballers.

Also I completely agree with those who dont understand the rules when watching the England tests. I dont get why half of the penalties given are given and I used to play!!.

Me and a good half of the side I played for on a Saturday also used to play football sundays too apart fro the front rows as they were all fat bastards
  • Options
    fattmatt said:

I much prefer club football but international rugby. I won't even bother with the England V Brazil match tonight. I guess it about the atmosphere.

Shame, you missed a good game Matt.

• Options
    Our head office is based in Wales. In our London outlet I work with 4 Welsh people who like their rugby, therefore I was more than happy to have the craic and a smart pound about who would win on Saturday (admittedly biased meself). Come Monday morning, had a good laugh before all and sundry let me moan about Palace, but all good natured. If you like it, you like it, if you don't you don't. 6 Nations keeps us all chatting at our place, whilst everyone checks how CAFC have got on to see what I'm going to be like of a Monday:). And Italy beating France was hugely funny..
  • Options
    Watch rugby league. Proper edge of the seat stuff, if you follow a team.
    Also more brutal.
    I understand that union is a far more complex game...but it's just boring to watch.
    Scrum. Scrum collapses. Ref blows whistle.
    Redo scrum, which collapses. Ref blows whistle.
    Redo scrum, which collapses. Ref blows whistle.
    Redo scrum. Ref blows whistle. Penalty.
    2 mins later, 3 points earned. Yawn.
  • Options
    Can't we stop using the word 'rugger'....it's the equivalent of wacky new sports presenters call football 'footie'.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Football is more entertaining and exciting but I do agree with the view than players could learn a lot about respect to officials and others from the rugby guys.

Mind you the officials wouldn't let swearing etc happen in the latter without punishment whereas the likes of Rooney and Cole are allowed to do as they please without any real punishment despite the face the refs can give out yellow/red cards etc.

They did the the 10 yard rule in football I remember but that never worked...just think of the reaction a rugby player would get from his large team-mates and coaches if he cost them a game by 3-6 points due to abusive behaviour leading to an easy penalty..

Ofcours rugby isn't as tribal from a fans point of view...could be a good thing in someways but you need a bit of banter and rivals in a sport.
  • Options
    LOL! It's a man's game - Belgium v Georgia Rugby World Cup qualifier descends into huge brawl

See http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/video/2013/feb/05/rugby-belgium-georgia-brawl-video

Imagine the outrage if this was football!
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Can't we stop using the word 'rugger'....it's the equivalent of wacky new sports presenters call football 'footie'.

I use it to annoy Rugger fans : - )

It is actually a very old word from the late 1800s. Like soccer.