Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby - I don't get it

Comments

• Options
    I may be talking cobblers - but I thought that a lot of the infringements in rugby take place when the game is fairly static (ie ruck or scrum).

I think that it may be simpler for the ref to see these infringements over the more fluid nature of infringements in football?!?
  • Options
    I think the ref thing has more to do with most refs had played and as a ref you could let the forwards sort out a lot of your job for you with a bit of shoeing and the odd punch up,plus the ref talks to the players unlike football.Nowadays it has gone a bit camp,a lot of the refs are being fast tracked and are the same snidey types that are football refs ie they cant play the game so this is their moment of glory.Fools like Nigel Owens just make it all a big version of supermarket sweep!
  • Options

What i find most odd is how football fans seem only to like football, and look down on sports such as cricket, rugby etc...whereas rugby fans seem to enjoy the vast majority of sports. Obviously a huge generalization but just seems to be the trend.

Football fans might not go and actively watch other sports but doesnt mean they dont like them
    To be fair, that is probably what i was getting it! Just phrased it completely wrong!! Anyway I love both sports, so who really cares!

So your generalisation was totally incorrect then.
    Please accept my utmost apologies for the incorrect wording of my post Sir Henry of Charlton Life. You now know what I was trying to get it, so no need for the harsh tone.

Don't start sulking and getting sarky just because you got it totally wrong.

I had no idea that when you said one thing what you actually meant to say something totally different. How could I?

You trotted out some bollocks about sharing databases before finally admitting you were unable to use the correct words. Bit of a draw back when you work in "marketing".

You got it totally wrong, be big enough to say it without all the crap and snide insults.
  • Options

I may be talking cobblers - but I thought that a lot of the infringements in rugby take place when the game is fairly static (ie ruck or scrum).

I think that it may be simpler for the ref to see these infringements over the more fluid nature of infringements in football?!?

Fair point SA but it is nevertheless impressive that the refs seem to have a happy knack (with the assistance of the touch judges/linos) of seeing the detail when here are a dozen brawny giants diving all over each other. At international level they rarely get things wrong. The authorities deserve credit too for their sensible use of tv replay technology.
  • Options
    Agree with the TV replay thing definitely.

I'm not sure where to draw the line - but football needs the assistance of technology. Just as long as they don't go the Rugby League route where they seem to refer to the TV ref for every single try....and now never seem to make a big decision on their own.
  • Options
    TV referrals would be so easy to do in football and usually a lot quicker to sort out than in rugby. Suspect a goal was offside? "Is there any reason I cannot award the goal?". Would take 20-30 seconds in most cases and the game has already stopped anyway. Why not do it?

Of course, as long as that corrupt bastard Blatter is in charge we will never see it.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

TV referrals would be so easy to do in football and usually a lot quicker to sort out than in rugby. Suspect a goal was offside? "Is there any reason I cannot award the goal?". Would take 20-30 seconds in most cases and the game has already stopped anyway. Why not do it?

Of course, as long as that corrupt bastard Blatter is in charge we will never see it.

True, and he will probably be followed by the English hating bastard Platini.
  • Options

What i find most odd is how football fans seem only to like football, and look down on sports such as cricket, rugby etc...whereas rugby fans seem to enjoy the vast majority of sports. Obviously a huge generalization but just seems to be the trend.

Football fans might not go and actively watch other sports but doesnt mean they dont like them
    To be fair, that is probably what i was getting it! Just phrased it completely wrong!! Anyway I love both sports, so who really cares!

Please accept my utmost apologies for the incorrect wording of my post Sir Henry of Charlton Life. You now know what I was trying to get it, so no need for the harsh tone.

I had no idea that when you said one thing what you actually meant to say something totally different. How could I?

You trotted out some bollocks about sharing databases before finally admitting you were unable to use the correct words. Bit of a draw back when you work in "marketing".

You got it totally wrong, be big enough to say it without all the crap and snide insults.
    Ridiculous! Where have I insulted you?! My original post still stands, just the phrasing was slightly wrong. Don't start rubbishing my line of work, when what I have said is totally factual. Rugby uses the same databases as many other sports because fans of rugby tend to have more of an affiliation with other sports than fans of football do. That's a fact.

Admittedly my original comment phrased it slightly wrong, but the underlying point was still there. Always thought you were a fairly reasonable poster but comments like ' Bit of a draw back when you work in "marketing" ' make you out to be a bit of the kn*b that others seem to think you are.

• Options

Ridiculous! Where have I insulted you?! My original post still stands, just the phrasing was slightly wrong. Don't start rubbishing my line of work, when what I have said is totally factual. Rugby uses the same databases as many other sports because fans of rugby tend to have more of an affiliation with other sports than fans of football do. That's a fact.

Admittedly my original comment phrased it slightly wrong, but the underlying point was still there. Always thought you were a fairly reasonable poster but comments like ' Bit of a draw back when you work in "marketing" ' make you out to be a bit of the kn*b that others seem to think you are.

PMSL

• Options
    Nicholas said:

PMSL

Pretty silly argument really isn't it!!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
  • Options
    Yawn, why does this site seem to have more than its share of people having a pop at one another.
    Chill pill. After all, its a Rugby thread, so, thats enough to send anyone to sleep.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Keep digging that hole for yourself. You got it massively wrong, which even you admitted. Although I see you are going back on that now.

Not very good at this making a logical, consistent point thingy are you?

And I suppose the "Sir Henry of Charlton Life" and "knob" weren't meant as insults either, you just couldn't find the right words. Again. What you really meant was "It was just a joke, no offence intended" I guess but who knows?

Anyway back to your spurious argument since you have decided it is true despite having disowned it only 20 minutes ago.

You keep going on about databases and keep stating "rugby fans TEND to having more affiliation to other sports" but for which you have provided no evidence.

Even if that was true how did you make the huge and totally incorrect leap to this meaning that football fans "seem only to like football, and look down on sports such as cricket, rugby etc...whereas rugby fans seem to enjoy the vast majority of sports"

No evidence to back that up whatsoever but you carry on digging that hole.

• Options

Always thought you were a fairly reasonable poster but comments like ' Bit of a draw back when you work in "marketing" ' make you out to be a bit of the kn*b that others seem to think you are.

Who thinks that ?
  • Options

Keep digging that hole for yourself. You got it massively wrong, which even you admitted. although I see you are going back on that now.

Not very good at this making a logical, consistent point thingy are you?

And I suppose the "Sir Henry of Charlton Life" and "knob" weren't meant as insults either, you just could find the right words. Again. What you really meant was "It was just a joke, no offence intended" I guess but who knows?

Anyway back to your spurious argument since you have decided it it true despite having disowned only 20 minutes ago.

You keep going on about databases and keeping stating "rugby fans TEND to having more affiliation to other sports" but for which you have provided no evidence.

Even if that was true how did you make the huge and totally incorrect leap to this meaning that football fans "seem only to like football, and look down on sports such as cricket, rugby etc...whereas rugby fans seem to enjoy the vast majority of sports"

No evidence to back that up whatsoever but you carry on.

Bloody hell mate stop getting your knickers in a twist. Read my original post, I always stated it was a sweeping generalization, I never said it was 'fact', just said it tended to be that way. I never stated that's solely how clubs use marketing, I said it seems to be a trend that is developing. Can't really see why your getting so worked up about this! As an aside, I didn't call you a knob, I said your post rubbishing my job made it clear why some people think that. I think you'll find my words were calling you a reasonable poster.

I didn't get anything 'massively wrong'...I stated a sweeping generalization that appears to be the current trend within sport. If that offended you so much, then I really do feel sorry for you. I don't understand why I need evidence for what I always said was a sweeping generalization!!
  • Options
    Chill out lads - we've got much more important things to discuss - like why did our game on New Years Day start at 12.30 instead of 3 .
  • Options

Chill out lads - we've got much more important things to discuss - like why did our game on New Years Day start at 12.30 instead of 3 .

And in keeping with the theme of this thread, who should play centre for England on Sunday!
  • Options
    Rugby and cricket have piss poor attendances so try to pool resources, I think that's the point
  • Options
    Uboat said:

The trouble with the theme to Rugby Special was that, like Ski Sunday, it was like a reminder that the weekend was nearly over.

This
  • Options

And in keeping with the theme of this thread, who should play centre for England on Sunday!
    tuilagi
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I much prefer club football but international rugby. I won't even bother with the England V Brazil match tonight. I guess it about the atmosphere.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    chazza said:

tuilagi
    Gotta be 12trees, he had a blinder against the sweaties. Tuilagi is good as a shock runner but can't pass nor can he kick. Billy 12trees is the man for me, as an ex stand off he can do the lot. Shame that Ben Morgan is unfit, Just as he was showing what a powerful no8 he is. Haskell though is an excellent replacement
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Always thought you were a fairly reasonable poster but comments like ' Bit of a draw back when you work in "marketing" ' make you out to be a bit of the kn*b that others seem to think you are.

Who thinks that ?
    Seconded. I think hes a tit! ;o)
  • Options

chazza said:

tuilagi
    Gotta be 12trees, he had a blinder against the sweaties. Tuilagi is good as a shock runner but can't pass nor can he kick. Billy 12trees is the man for me, as an ex stand off he can do the lot. Shame that Ben Morgan is unfit, Just as he was showing what a powerful no8 he is. Haskell though is an excellent replacement
    Agreed. 12trees and Barritt for me. Dropping Barritt would be suicide against O Driscoll with how well he holds our defence together.

• Options
    redcarter said:

Rugby and cricket have piss poor attendances so try to pool resources, I think that's the point

And that is the point. Nothing to do with made up nonsense about football fans not liking other sports.

Plus rugger and cricket are played, mostly, in different months of the year while football is nearly 10 or 11 months of the year now.

Also football does and always has drawn support from a very wide social demographic.

Rugger and cricket looks to a narrower demographic. There are no premiership rugger clubs in inner london or even in East or SE london to my limited knowledge. Watford, Wycombe, Reading are now home to "London" clubs although I thinks Saracens are or have moved to Barnet.

Great opportunity for Blackheath if they were any good.
  • Options

chazza said:

tuilagi
    Agreed. 12trees and Barritt for me. Dropping Barritt would be suicide against O Driscoll with how well he holds our defence together.

I like 12trees but can't see tuilagi being left out. Barritt is a fixture in the team now. Whoever gets the nod will do a job I'm sure.
  • Options
    Hmmn... Henners, given the introduction of Sky TV and now the Heineken Cup, I think you'd be suprised how difficult you would find it to buy a ticket for most club matches. Quinns normally move their fixture to Twickenham and Sara's vice versa to Wembley for their clashes and they tend to sell out quickly.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    chazza said:

chazza said:

tuilagi

I like 12trees but can't see tuilagi being left out. Barritt is a fixture in the team now. Whoever gets the nod will do a job I'm sure.
    I see Tualigi nowadays more as winger, he's so powerful and a great finisher. Tactically in midfield, both attack and defence, 12trees is more experienced and the better all rounder. The thing is I like Brown on the wing, no great pace but a great footballer, very brave, aware and astute. If Tualigi replaces anyone it should be Ashton, but that just will not happen. I will be disappointed if Lancaster does not select 12trees for saturday. Barrit is a shoo-in. He'd tackle a rhinoceros if necessary and he improves in attack with every game
  • Options
    edited February 2013

redcarter said:

And that is the point. Nothing to do with made up nonsense about football fans not liking other sports.

Plus rugger and cricket are played, mostly, in different months of the year while football is nearly 10 or 11 months of the year now.

Also football does and always has drawn support from a very wide social demographic.

Rugger and cricket looks to a narrower demographic. There are no premiership rugger clubs in inner london or even in East or SE london to my limited knowledge. Watford, Wycombe, Reading are now home to "London" clubs although I thinks Saracens are or have moved to Barnet.

Great opportunity for Blackheath if they were any good.
    I've stayed out of this but in Wales and Cornwall Rugby Union is actually very popular amongst what have traditionally been regarded as working class people. The same is also true in areas like Gloucester and Leicester to name just two.

Cricket used to be a classless sport but with successive governments selling off school sportsfields like they are going out of fashion the game has become more club than school based in many areas and the school game is increasingly confined to the independent sector.

That said Yorkshire is an area where the game is still widely played in the state school sector to the best of my knowledge. It was certainly played at the state comp my daughter did her teaching experience at in Scarborough.
  • Options

chazza said:

chazza said:

tuilagi

I see Tualigi nowadays more as winger, he's so powerful and a great finisher. Tactically in midfield, both attack and defence, 12trees is more experienced and the better all rounder. The thing is I like Brown on the wing, no great pace but a great footballer, very aware and astute. If Tualigi replaces anyone it should be Ashton, but that just will not happen. I will be disappointed if Lancaster does not select 12trees for saturday. Barrit is a shoo-in. He'd tackle a rhinoceros if necessary and he improves in attack with every game
    After what you've said I can't help think what a great impact Tuilagi would have coming off the bench at around the 60 minute mark,his pace and power against a relatively tired Irish defence after 12trees and Barritt have already worn them down.

But I think after his performance against NZ,Lancaster is sure to start him