Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby - I don't get it

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Like the grid iron too. I like the the chat between plays as it is very informative. Remember earlier on in the season and the Nfl pundits were picking the bones out of a play and one of them said the following right at the end of the description 'don't forget gents, he has to Make a decision in about 1 second while he has half of the opposing team trying to rip his head off!'
  • Options

Charlton were away somewhere & I met my mates at Cross Keys Gracechurch St at about 9am. Watched the final, then went to Charlton's away game.
    Lager for breakfast. Now that was a great day.

We were at Leicester away when England won it. I was the only one on the coach not cheering.

Had Wolves away for the next final, was an evening throw off though or whatever they call it as having got back I joined people in the pub. That was a crap, crap day.
  • Options
    Properly hate it, was average at it at school but never wanted to get any better just in case they dragged me into one of the proper teams.

It's such a poncey sport now as well, especially in international games, there's so much peacocking and showing off and fannying around, it's become a properly camp sport.

Agree with the 'Jolly Fine Fellows' bollocks too, acting like american fraternity boys on initiations night and getting away with it. 'Oh Godfrey there's a fine lad, shove this snooker ball up your arse would you?' etc.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Fantastic game,great atmosphere at Twickenham.Proper supporters who know how to have a good time without damaging parked cars.Supporters who are all mixed in together and enjoy a bit of banter together without any nastiness.Exciting game played by great athletes at a furious pace.Go to see as many games as I can,great to pop down to Blackheath now and again.Dont understand the antipathy of some football fans to Rugby.

Not sure about that - I went on rugby tour to Cambridge many years ago and 20 of us got arrested for violent conduct and criminal damage. They kept us in overnight, took our shoes off us (?) and then sent us on our way as they needed to free up the cells because Millwall were playing Cambridge that day.

In case you were worried, I managed to buy some moccasins from Oxfam and got back on the lash.

Google tells me it was Saturday 4th April 1992.

Millwall lost.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

dickplumb said:

Fantastic game,great atmosphere at Twickenham.Proper supporters who know how to have a good time without damaging parked cars.Supporters who are all mixed in together and enjoy a bit of banter together without any nastiness.Exciting game played by great athletes at a furious pace.Go to see as many games as I can,great to pop down to Blackheath now and again.Dont understand the antipathy of some football fans to Rugby.

Not sure about that - I went on rugby tour to Cambridge many years ago and 20 of us got arrested for violent conduct and criminal damage. They kept us in overnight, took our shoes off us (?) and then sent us on our way as they needed to free up the cells because Millwall were playing Cambridge that day.
    If your shoes had laces was prob to stop any suicide attempts I imagine.
  • Options
    I have as much interest in Rugby as i do in wearing womens clothes (Zero) before you ask! :-0
  • Options

PL54 said:

dickplumb said:

No they took them off us as we were kicked out of the station - no shoes to walk down the street in.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

PL54 said:

dickplumb said:

No they took them off us as we were kicked out of the station - no shoes to walk down the street in.
    Ha ha that's weird then.
  • Options
    I think it used to be boring, but the rule changes have made it into an enjoyable game to watch. If you have some ability - football is far more satisying to play though IMO.
  • Options
    Rugby - too many rules, too much referees whistle.
    American Football - one bloke who can throw, one bloke who can leg it and catch, the rest are just thugs. Boring as feck.
    Cricket - now, this is just the best. Best sport on the plantagenet, sorry Planet (watching too much Richard III !).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting to read the mixed response here. Personally I love the game and Football could learn from a few aspects of it, for example, when a player goes down, let the physio come on, why should the game stop (this will make feigning injury (or for want of a better word, cheating) redundant) ? Unless of course it is a serious injury. Respect the officials, how many times has a decision been reversed because a player pleaded his innocence ? And the one that will probably go down least well, introduce television referrals to some degree, goal line technology at the very least. There is too much riding on it. Palace have completed the double over us this season, thanks to a perfectly good disallowed goal.

Off to Ireland on Saturday to watch the match, can't wait !!
  • Options
    I think England rugby's internationals are better,personally I find nothing less exciting or interesting than a friendly at wembley against some random team. Obviously it's a different story at a major tournament. I almost made it as a rugby player but I have always been a football fan. I had to give up my season ticket due to playing obligations and was almost happy when I got injured because it freed up my saturdays again.
  • Options
    The original theme tune to Rugby Special had a lot going for it.
  • Options
    Spanish said:

Interesting to read the mixed response here. Personally I love the game and Football could learn from a few aspects of it, for example, when a player goes down, let the physio come on, why should the game stop (this will make feigning injury (or for want of a better word, cheating) redundant) ? Unless of course it is a serious injury. Respect the officials, how many times has a decision been reversed because a player pleaded his innocence ? And the one that will probably go down least well, introduce television referrals to some degree, goal line technology at the very least. There is too much riding on it. Palace have completed the double over us this season, thanks to a perfectly good disallowed goal.

Off to Ireland on Saturday to watch the match, can't wait !!

Agree that Football could learn a lot from Rugby - especially in terms of feigning injury and respect of officials. Then again, footy has Blatter in charge !
  • Options
    Uboat said:

It was brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3lOD44Oexw
  • Options
    The trouble with the theme to Rugby Special was that, like Ski Sunday, it was like a reminder that the weekend was nearly over.
  • Options
    What i find most odd is how football fans seem only to like football, and look down on sports such as cricket, rugby etc...whereas rugby fans seem to enjoy the vast majority of sports. Obviously a huge generalization but just seems to be the trend.
  • Options

What i find most odd is how football fans seem only to like football, and look down on sports such as cricket, rugby etc...whereas rugby fans seem to enjoy the vast majority of sports. Obviously a huge generalization but just seems to be the trend.

Not just a huge generalisation but a totally incorrect generalisation.
  • Options

I like darts as well now that's a proper mans sport :)

• Options

Uboat said:

It was brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3lOD44Oexw
    That belongs on the House thread
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Rugby - too many rules, too much referees whistle.
    American Football - one bloke who can throw, one bloke who can leg it and catch, the rest are just thugs. Boring as feck.
    Cricket - now, this is just the best. Best sport on the plantagenet, sorry Planet (watching too much Richard III !).

That comment has just given me the best laugh of the day!
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Not just a huge generalisation but a totally incorrect generalisation.
    Actually not incorrect at all. I work in marketing for a well known club, and I think you'll find this is generally the rule within the sports. Hence why Rugby and Cricket clubs for example work very closely together, using the same databases etc, and football do not.

Don't get me wrong I am a huge football fan, but my generalization within the marketing world of the sports is actually correct.

As said, obviously there are many many exceptions to this sweeping generalization, but it just appears to be a trend.
  • Options

Football fans might not go and actively watch other sports but doesnt mean they dont like them
  • Options

Football fans might not go and actively watch other sports but doesnt mean they dont like them
    To be fair, that is probably what i was getting it! Just phrased it completely wrong!! Anyway I love both sports, so who really cares!

• Options
    Stick to Friends, Gary.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

To be fair, that is probably what i was getting it! Just phrased it completely wrong!! Anyway I love both sports, so who really cares!

So your generalisation was totally incorrect then.
  • Options
    Bit harsh.
  • Options

So your generalisation was totally incorrect then.
    Please accept my utmost apologies for the incorrect wording of my post Sir Henry of Charlton Life. You now know what I was trying to get it, so no need for the harsh tone.

• Options
    Being both small and slow as a boy I was crap at Rugby at school and stuck 100% to football, but as an adult I love watching international rugby matches live and on tv. The quality of the refereeing is top notch, a standard way above most football referees, possibly because most rugby refs have played the game at a decent level first.