Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pistorious (pg 26 - now charged with Murder)

Comments

• Options
    In the reported testimony he says he screamed at the intruder before he fired any shots. I can't help thinking the girlfriend might have uttered something at some stage to alert him that she was in the bathroom having a pee.
  • Options

Does anyone know if 'beyond reasonable doubt' is used the same in SA courts as Britain?

SA Law is based on British law, so, i would expect.
  • Options
    The very best he can get is a manslaughter verdict and im sure that will have jail time------------in a RSA jail ! Death sentance.
  • Options
    Oj got off and with this brief Oscar has a good chance of getting off loads of people who are guilty get off . But with no jury it will harder for sure
  • Options
    Did he even call the police/ambulance?

Unless i've missed something, it says that his brother and lawyer were there when the police arrived.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    He had a 50 cal revolver, Jesus that's practically a hand cannon. Not saying it's relevant to the case or anything, just shows the kind of fear people must live in there, you don't use a 50 cal to wound someone.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

He had a 50 cal revolver, Jesus that's practically a hand cannon. Not saying it's relevant to the case or anything, just shows the kind of fear people must live in there, you don't use a 50 cal to wound someone.

You probably don't shoot them 4 times if you're trying to wound them either.

• Options

Did he even call the police/ambulance?

Unless i've missed something, it says that his brother and lawyer were there when the police arrived.

He phoned the estate/premises manager & asked him to call the police. Don't know why. Perhaps no vehicles can gain access to the gated property, without authorisation.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure the police/ambulance service wouldn't need authorisation to gain access though.

And even so, his lawyer and brother were still there first.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

I'm pretty sure the police/ambulance service wouldn't need authorisation to gain access though.

And even so, his lawyer and brother were still there first.

Hmm, do you think something fishy is going on ?
    Perhaps he's not telling the whole truth :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Quite possibly, i still have this feeling he's going to somehow get away with it though.
  • Options
    Can anybody clarify the difference between murder and pre-meditated murder. Is it a South African Judicial thing? Murder in UK law is pre-meditated.
  • Options
    First degree murder is planned before hand and then carried out later, while second degree (pre-meditated) murder is done, although intentionally, without really thinking about it (i.e. in the spur of the moment).

• Options
    I thought pre-meditated meant you have planned it?
  • Options
    Sorry i got that the wrong way round, pre-meditated is first degree murder. So yes planned.
    2nd degree is spur of the moment.
    3rd degree is manslaughter.

I think.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

That's the impression I get from what the SA police are saying. However, my question really was do the South African's have different degrees of murder similar to the USA, or was this 'pre-meditated' term just a media bolt-on?

• Options
    edited February 2013
    sam3110 said:

I think it's more of a case of opportunity knocking; e.g. you see the hypothetical victim and the top of the stairs and shove them down. First degree murder would be where you buy the murder implement, get the victim somewhere and work out how to dispose of the body all before you act. Or so I understand it to be, I am no lawyer.
  • Options

Sorry i got that the wrong way round, pre-meditated is first degree murder. So yes planned.

I think.

We've moved on a bit from making her a reasonable offer then?
  • Options
    lol
  • Options

I think.

We've moved on a bit from making her a reasonable offer then?
    lol, don't get these threads mixed up Chris. Could be difficult to explain away:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That copper is music to oscars briefs ears . He will be on bail by Thursday afternoon
  • Options
    nolly said:

That copper is music to oscars briefs ears . He will be on bail by Thursday afternoon

If the case fell down on that cop's testimony, the question would always remain did Pistorious go free because he was innocent or because a good brief took apart a witness. Of course the actual trial won't be for months yet but the story won't go anywhere.
  • Options
    Of course mobile phone messages will be coming into this soon
  • Options
    Can't see how he didn't just assume a noise to be his girlfriend. And why would a burglar be in the bathroom?
  • Options
    nolly said:

Of course mobile phone messages will be coming into this soon

Sure it said today she had two phones in with her but hadn't used either that night.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    No they will look at history of texts between them both regarding a motive things will come out on texts
  • Options
    Looking at the drawing/plan of the bedroom, he had to walk past the bed to get to the bathroom. And we're expected to believe he wouldn't have noticed she wasn't in the bed.

Think he's going to get off though, same as OJ, police negligence will save him.
  • Options

Regardless of the drugs and the arguing I am still stuck on how it's dark enough to not notice someone in bed with you but not too dark that you can't get out on the balcony, put your legs on, get a gun, get from one side of the room to another, etc.

It's actually not that hard to not notice somebody is not in bed. When they are under the cover the only thing you would see is a small part of their face. It doesn't have to be that dark to not notice. If I got up in the night I would just assume my girlfriend was there. I probably wouldn't even look.
  • Options

Regardless of the drugs and the arguing I am still stuck on how it's dark enough to not notice someone in bed with you but not too dark that you can't get out on the balcony, put your legs on, get a gun, get from one side of the room to another, etc.

It's actually not that hard to not notice somebody is not in bed. When they are under the cover the only thing you would see is a small part of their face. It doesn't have to be that dark to not notice. If I got up in the night I would just assume my girlfriend was there. I probably wouldn't even look.
    If there was a noise though, surely the first thing you'd do is make sure it wasn't your girlfriend? Especially as he walked past the bed to reach the bathroom.