Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pistorious (pg 26 - now charged with Murder)

Comments

• Options
    Huskaris said:

This entire court case is a joke. The detective is now having attempted murder charges brought up that had previously been dropped? Where's this come from all of a sudden?

What a country, I for one won't be going there any time soon.

Thats become a big issue with South Africans since this started, in as much as how SA is portrayed in the International media, and the general concensus is that this could have a significant shortterm impact on tourism, as it highlights a country that has an undercurrent of extreme violence.
    Good, might make my flights a bit cheaper to see my kids !!
  • Options

Huskaris said:

This entire court case is a joke. The detective is now having attempted murder charges brought up that had previously been dropped? Where's this come from all of a sudden?

Thats become a big issue with South Africans since this started, in as much as how SA is portrayed in the International media, and the general concensus is that this could have a significant shortterm impact on tourism, as it highlights a country that has an undercurrent of extreme violence.
    Yeah, but 40 something people are murdered there a day... Right...?

South Africa was supposed to have great prospects and now it's becoming a sinking ship economically, strange because it was touted as one of the next big things a while back.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

South Africa was supposed to have great prospects and now it's becoming a sinking ship economically, strange because it was touted as one of the next big things a while back.
    Wonder if it will end up like Rhodesia/Zimbabwe.....I very much doubt it but if it does I'll be having some visitors I expect (sister and her family live out there).
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Qatar Airways were very reasonable when we used them last year.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Is the trial magistrate only or is there a jury?

Incredibly, this is only as bail hearing so no jury but as I understand it they do not use the jury system in South Africa anyway. For a couple of reasons; all white juries are viewed with deep suspicion and there are so many local dialect spoken that it is too expensive/complicated to run.
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

Wonder if it will end up like Rhodesia/Zimbabwe.....I very much doubt it but if it does I'll be having some visitors I expect (sister and her family live out there).
    Well that's exactly the parallel that springs to my mind.
    I think as a lot of people have said on here, Mandela just by being alive is holding it all together at the moment.
    Zuma is bad news.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

Well that's exactly the parallel that springs to my mind.
    I think as a lot of people have said on here, Mandela just by being alive is holding it all together at the moment.
    Zuma is bad news.
    Agree re Zuma, god help them if Malema ever gets in.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

Beg to disagree, SA has huge natural reserves of gold,Diamonds and Oil amongst others, plus Fracking has shown huge reserves of Gas too.
    Its a huge prospect still. Its got virtually zero chance of going the Zim route because of the amount of white money still in SA (90 per cent still remains in white hands) - plus also the white population numbers of SA v Zim are not comparable.
    I'm not just being pro SA - just balancing the argument by stating the facts. Yes, its got problems but it also still has a lot of plusses- its not quite how its portrayed by the UK media-believe me.
  • Options
    I have a feeling that when eventually this gets to trial the verdict will be accidental death of a presumed burglar, not guilty of murder.
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Thanks Hastings. Yes Qatar are quite cheap, just a couple of problems for me is that I am genarally trying to get to Cape Town for a long weekend (yes) and time is of the essence, and flying Qatar means a stopover in Doha, and also, they're DRY !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Huskaris said:

Thanks Hastings. Yes Qatar are quite cheap, just a couple of problems for me is that I am genarally trying to get to Cape Town for a long weekend (yes) and time is of the essence, and flying Qatar means a stopover in Doha, and also, they're DRY !!
    Fair enough, that's some trip for a long weekend.....loved Cape Town by the way, nephew lives at Marina De Gama.
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Fair enough, that's some trip for a long weekend.....loved Cape Town by the way, nephew lives at Marina De Gama.
    Small world. My kids live in Bergvliet (next to Constantia), not far from MdG.
    People think i'm a loony when i say i'm going for a long weekend in Cape Town, but try to finish work at 3pm on thrusday and then get the 9pm flight overnight and then pick the kids up from school on friday, then drop them off on Sunday afternoon, then back on the overnight flight on Sunday and back into work circa 10am on Monday ! The kids allknow their heritage, and follow the Addicks, have the shirts and scarves, and follow games on saturday via twitter and player when they can, and always get to the Valley when they are here.- last one being Udd at home.
    One of the odd things is that my British passport has birthplace of Plumstead,London, whereas my youngest sons British passport has birthplace of Plumstead, Cape Town.- he was born in the Constantiaberg Hospital Plumstead !!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    If you heard a noise and suspected intruders, the first thing you would do is check on your wife/girlfriend/family before dealing with the situation. I think that is instinct and what is telling me that his story is a load of rubbish. What I can't figure out now is why?

The other thing is, what burglar would head to the loo - probably the room least likely to have anything of value in it? If he called out, which I thing he said he did, his gf would surely have answered. He is so guilty it's silly.
  • Options
    redcarter said:

From the Mail:
    "The lead detective in the Oscar Pistorius trial is facing seven attempted murder charges, it has emerged today.
    Hilton Botha and two other policemen allegedly shot at a group of passengers in a mini-bus taxi in 2009, according to South Africa's Eye-Witness News.
    It is also alleged that Detective Botha and the other two policemen were drunk when the incident occurred."

He seems an utter clown.

Botha has been taken off the case.
  • Options
    The toilet is the only window that leads outside with no bars on the window

Guilty IMO but not convinced these clowns will put across a case to prove it
  • Options
    Any decent prosecution is surely going to ask him, did you not think to look at the bed? Did you not think to feel the bed? If you can get up and bring a fan in and lock the door in the pitch black, how come you couldn't see 1-2 yards across a bed? Did you not think to get a response from the intruder before firing? Why not call the police and then lie in wait by the bathroom knowing the intruder will have to come out of the toilet?

Upon hearing a noise:

Step 1 - Reeva wake up..........no reply.
    Step 2 - nudge Reeva or feel the bed where she sleeps...........she's not there
    Step 3 - Go to bathroom and say Reeva is that you, are you ok?.......she replies and says yes she's going to toilet.

NOT

Step 1 - there's an intruder, grab my gun, BANG BANG BANG
    Step 2 - go and get my legs on
    Step 3 - hang on where is Reeva
  • Options
    I'd imagine its a pretty big bathroom, so they'll probably say it contained items of jewellery/watches.
  • Options
    This judge has been waffling for about an hour!!
  • Options
    The judge has 7 mins to announce his decision before the building closes. This is quite a "soap opera".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He'll get bail, he's been going on so long, i can't see any other outcome
  • Options
    A simple yes or no would do!

Imagine how long is summing up for the actual trial will take!
  • Options
    I want to hear the film reviews on Radio 5 Live, not more of this waffle - seems to be going round in circles!!
  • Options
    He will get bail but the Judge has basically just said he thinks his defence is cobblers.
  • Options
    this judge is milking it - he obviously wants some fame out of this!
  • Options
    Bailed.
  • Options
    Phew, now we can look forward to the trial :-)
  • Options
    2 hours summing up to tell us what most of us expected anyway
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Bailed at 250K rand = £20k sterling. Trial to start June 4th.

Bail conditions :-

Surrender of his 2 passports.

In the meantime if he wants to go to the toilet, can he show a bit more patience.

(Ok I made the last one up).
  • Options
    Nelson Mandela, jailed for 27 years for opposing apartheid.

Oscar Pistorius granted bail after shooting dead his girlfriend.