Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pistorious (pg 26 - now charged with Murder)

Comments

• Options

Nelson Mandela, jailed for 27 years for opposing apartheid.

Oscar Pistorius granted bail after shooting dead his girlfriend.

Tut,tut - Allegedly !!
  • Options

Nelson Mandela, jailed for 27 years for opposing apartheid.

Oscar Pistorius granted bail after shooting dead his girlfriend.

Tut,tut - Allegedly !!
    No, he definitely shot her dead. The question is whether he murdered her.

• Options

Bailed at 250K rand = £20k sterling. Trial to start June 4th.

Bail conditions :-

Surrender of his 2 passports.

In the meantime if he wants to go to the toilet, can he show a bit more patience.

(Ok I made the last one up).

Isnt that exactly what someones brother or friend called earlier on the thread?
  • Options
    It's more than that.

"Magistrate Desmond Nair set the bail at 1m rand (£73,000) and said Pistorius must hand over his passports and also turn in any other guns he owns"
  • Options
    He must also hand over his blades so he can't do a runner and wear an electronic tag.
  • Options
    Announced this morning that Oscar's brother Carl is also facing culpable homicide charges relating to a motorcycle accident.

Good lord, can this case get any more bizarre and what must his father be going through???
  • Options
    Does anyone in South Africa die naturally or just wait to get murdered or killed by "culpable homicide"
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Huskaris said:

Does anyone in South Africa die naturally or just wait to get murdered or killed by "culpable homicide"

Average life expectancy in South Africa is 51.2 years. This ranks 180th out of 198 countries listed by The United Nations (The UK comes in at 23rd with 79.6 years). As you might expect, life expectancy correlates strongly with GDP per capita: Roughly speaking, the richer people are, the more they can afford to spend (individually and collectively) on healthy living, safe working practices and healthcare. South Africa's GDPpc ranks 79th out of 180 countries listed by the World Bank (UK is 22nd), so we might expect people in South Africa to live a fair bit longer than they do - to about 75, based on GDPpc rankings.

Reasons for this? I've not read up on it, but I suspect that most of it comes down to two reasons. 1. High concentration of the nation's wealth in the hands of a few people, so that only a few get the benefit of their collective wealth. 2. As you say, they're all murdering each other!
  • Options
    Out of curiosity, does it go into how those statistics are broken down by race?
  • Options
    Those statistics are really interesting, almost unbelievable that life expectancy is 30 years more in the UK.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob said:

Out of curiosity, does it go into how those statistics are broken down by race?

According to this link, in 2009 is was 48 for black people and 71 for white people:
    http://www.hsrc.ac.za/News-document-1426.phtml
  • Options
    17 people per day killed by gun in South Africa!
  • Options
    Shocking video of the bloke strapped to a police car in SA.
    Police brutality? corrupt police? Think Oscar Pistorius's legal team may be happy this morning.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

the Obill cant actually know where the weapon was unless they have a witness that puts it in the draw on that side of the bed.
    Its not evidence.

600M away yet the neighbor can hear conversation ?

Facts ? he killed her.

I use to live next to a playing field which was about 600 metres I would say from my house. I could easily hear two kids kicking a ball about and having a laugh enough for me to close my window on an early Sunday morning. You can hear the punt of a football or rugby ball quite easily. Sound carries some distance especially in quiet areas. I therefore do not accept a defence that you cannot hear a couple screaming at one another from 600M away at 2 in the morning. All will be revealed.
  • Options
    I can see him going down for manslaughter but not murder, possibly as some sort of plea bargain. There can be no doubt that he killed her with a weapon he owned but proving it was planned and premeditated may be harder.
  • Options
    Jayajosh said:

the Obill cant actually know where the weapon was unless they have a witness that puts it in the draw on that side of the bed.
    Its not evidence.

Facts ? he killed her.

I use to live next to a playing field which was about 600 metres I would say from my house. I could easily hear two kids kicking a ball about and having a laugh enough for me to close my window on an early Sunday morning. You can hear the punt of a football or rugby ball quite easily. Sound carries some distance especially in quiet areas. I therefore do not accept a defence that you cannot hear a couple screaming at one another from 600M away at 2 in the morning. All will be revealed.
    that's as maybe but could you tell it was the couple in question?

• Options
    Jayajosh said:

Its not evidence.

Facts ? he killed her.

Blimey, it's like 12 angry men. What can you hear with the El Train going past?
  • Options
    Stig said:

Jayajosh said:

Its not evidence.

Facts ? he killed her.

How could it take you five minutes to cook your grits when it takes the entire grit-eating world 20 minutes?
  • Options

Stig said:

Jayajosh said:

Its not evidence.

Facts ? he killed her.

How could it take you five minutes to cook your grits when it takes the entire grit-eating world 20 minutes?
    Cor, Marisa Tomei in that movie is just unbelievably filthy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Programme on BBC3 tonight 9pm "Pistorius: What Really Happened?" if anyone's interested.
  • Options

Programme on BBC3 tonight 9pm "Pistorius: What Really Happened?" if anyone's interested.

Have they had they trial then?
  • Options
    This is absolute guff. Why have they sent a CBBC presenter to make this documentary?

60mins of vacuous waffle.
  • Options
    Told us nothing.
  • Options
    The editing for this program has been pretty funny. What's with all the slow head turns towards the camera!
  • Options
    There's a lot more to come out that a "tell all" documentary a month after the event could never possibly say. For example:

The type of bullet used,
    His toxicology results, and
    The mobile phone records.

Nothing more than a shameless cash-in by the beeb. I don't criticise them often, but making a documentary like that is the sort of cheap trick I expect Channel 5 to play, not a publicly funded broadcaster.
  • Options

The editing for this program has been pretty funny. What's with all the slow head turns towards the camera!

miranda style
  • Options
    Programme was a let down, basically a padded out hour without telling us much new, I didn't know the girl had met with her ex-lover who she had been with for 5 years and never lost touch, this was shortly before she was killed and Pistorius kept phoning her as they chatted, although that was the only thing new about this case, could be the most significant thing about the killing.

So many holes in his story. And now he wants to change bail conditions so he can travel abroad........
  • Options
    Apparently Pistorius feels the bail conditions are too harsh and he should be allowed to leave the country if he wishes. I'm sure he wouldn't accidentally find himself in a country that South Africa has no extradition treaty with!
  • Options

There's a lot more to come out that a "tell all" documentary a month after the event could never possibly say. For example:

The type of bullet used,
    His toxicology results, and
    The mobile phone records.

Nothing more than a shameless cash-in by the beeb. I don't criticise them often, but making a documentary like that is the sort of cheap trick I expect Channel 5 to play, not a publicly funded broadcaster.

I find this every time I watch Panorama. Skim the surface in an unprofessional way, with an opinionated report with few facts.