Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Appleton sacked - (2013 thread resurrected for wishful thinking purposes.)

Comments

• Options
    Its shocking when even I want the Manager gone...
    Just need Callum to rubber stamp it 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    If I was a betting man, I would say he won’t be in charge on Tuesday.. watch this space 
    Third time lucky in appointing a manager for this lot?
    The Duchatelet years all over again.
    Except everyone was moaning about not having British managers…. 
  • Options
    Can we change the thread title please. Very misleading. 
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    If I was a betting man, I would say he won’t be in charge on Tuesday.. watch this space 
    What have you heard Dubai? 
    That he ain’t won a game since Christmas rumour has it
  • Options
    I think the decision has been made and we will hear tomorrow, once a settlement figure has been agreed, caretaker appointed etc.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Do we really want another sacking?

I have always felt bosses need two years and that sometimes it gets worse before it improves.

Remember Chris Powell's unimpressive start in 2011? There were strong rumours he would be sacked that summer. Thankfully he wasn't and led us to an amazing promotion winning season.

Apples has clearly been allowed to bring in players he knows this window. I believe sacking him now would just add to the instability around the club.
    Coventry and Ladapo are top signings and need to be here next season ,.let's get behind the club.

My fear though is that he might find it difficult to get the fans back onside 

As a supporter base we need to back someone to last more than six months.
    Powell's record that season really was terrible, but the context was different. The relatively strong start to the season meant that relegation was very unlikely. Even with the dreadful end to the season, we finished 13th, which is above where we are now. We're currently only 7 points off of the relegation zone, and very much in relegation form. Additionally, the team in 21st have a game in hand on us and the team in 22nd have two. I'd hope the quality of players we've brought in means that we won't ultimately get pulled into the relegation battle, but they are all, as yet, unproven in a Charlton shirt, while one of our most effective players this season is on the way out. I normally advocate for giving managers time, and think the current culture of sacking the manager whenever the team is on a bad run is self-defeating, but it's important to recognise the seriousness of our situation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Go all out and get Nathan Jones!!
  • Options
    A fan on another forum who is close to Charlie Methven is saying that Appleton is gone, possibly as soon as tonight.
     Saw on twitter that it was already done. Tweet seems to have been deleted 
  • Options
    Richard J said:

I have always felt bosses need two years and that sometimes it gets worse before it improves.

Remember Chris Powell's unimpressive start in 2011? There were strong rumours he would be sacked that summer. Thankfully he wasn't and led us to an amazing promotion winning season.

Apples has clearly been allowed to bring in players he knows this window. I believe sacking him now would just add to the instability around the club.
    Coventry and Ladapo are top signings and need to be here next season ,.let's get behind the club.

Surely the manager has to show some positive managerial capability though? What has Appleton shown us so far? I am genuinely struggling to see what he’s bringing us apart from ever closer to relegation. 
  • Options
    Not ITK, but I'm pretty sure he'll be gone before Tuesday
  • Options
    I think the decision has been made and we will hear tomorrow, once a settlement figure has been agreed, caretaker appointed etc.
    Based on anything or a guess?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Has Steve Cooper got another gig yet.? Can we afford him, would he come here, could we get him?
    No to each of those questions. 
  • Options
    Tactically inept, players don’t want to play him, haven’t won a game in 12 last was the end of November against Cheltenham. With the squad we have we should be chasing not in a relegation battle. 
    Action has to be taken ASAP. 
    Last couple of years we have had good followings, look at our away support today. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Richard J said:

The supporters are not the problem
    I agree we are not.

What I am trying to say is we can't keep changing manager and expecting sustained improvements in performance. I have a horrible feeling that many have already made their minds up about Apples.

If Appleton does get sacked tonight ( as some seem to be predicting) then the next incumbent needs to be given at least two years to build something. 

I was hoping given that two of the new players have previously played for him that this squad is now beginning to be his and next season is when he should be judged.
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    I’d like Rowett or Duff. Not sure either would come mind. 
    My mate has mentioned Rowett a few times and it wouldn't work

A run of 3/4 bad games and he would have the fanbase against him because of his Millwall connections 
    That would be dumb. He played for us first. We could and should have hired him before Millwall did.

He did a good job at Millwall. They’ve done absolutely nothing since he left.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc_se7 said:
    Go all out and get Nathan Jones!!
    Good coach but I’m not sure if he’s not just another Appleton, albeit one that’s actually achieved something. Prickly character and could go wrong very quickly with him.

I also think Nathan Jones and Rowett should be able to attract Championship jobs. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Based on anything or a guess?
    Pure guess. Rumours of a board meeting tomorrow, I doubt (hope) they won't be discussing yes or no but pay off figures and new managerial targets
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Richard J said:

The supporters are not the problem
    I agree we are not.

What I am trying to say is we can't keep changing manager and expecting sustained improvements in performance. I have a horrible feeling that many have already made their minds up about Apples.

If Appleton does get sacked tonight ( as some seem to be predicting) then the next incumbent needs to be given at least two years to build something. 

I was hoping given that two of the new players have previously played for him that this squad is now beginning to be his and next season is when he should be judged.
    In this window we are already building for next season and by the end of the window the squad will be a lot different, and a lot better balanced and a lot stronger, than at the beginning of it. Get a new manager in, have a good end to the season, a few tweaks in the summer window and there is no reason next season can’t be a successful one. Keep Appleton, he’ll be gone by November with another season wasted. He needs to go now so that we stay up this season and give ourselves the best chance of success next season.
  • Options
    I can't see Nathan Jones or John Eustace being interested to be honest. They'll back themselves to get championship jobs 
  • Options
    Jason Euell not doing anything at moment it’s the Charlton way. The only way we ever get decent managers are when they know the club from previous 
  • Options
    Jason Euell not doing anything at moment it’s the Charlton way. The only way we ever get decent managers are when they know the club from previous 

I thought he was somewhere, Bristol City? Has he left already, must have missed that.
  • Options

I thought he was somewhere, Bristol City? Has he left already, must have missed that.
    He went when Nigel Pearson went.
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    I’d like Rowett or Duff. Not sure either would come mind. 
    My mate has mentioned Rowett a few times and it wouldn't work

A run of 3/4 bad games and he would have the fanbase against him because of his Millwall connections 
    That would be dumb. He played for us first. We could and should have hired him before Millwall did.

He did a good job at Millwall. They’ve done absolutely nothing since he left.
    This.

Chris Powell played for Palace.

• Options
    Wouldn’t Euell have worked with Curtis Fleming at Bristol city