Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Appleton sacked - (2013 thread resurrected for wishful thinking purposes.)

Comments

• Options

I reckon they'll go for Sachin Tendulkar

They'd sell a lot of season tickets and a lot of Blackburn shirts.......
  • Options

Blackburn's new boss answers Shebby's call....Birdy Num Num....
  • Options
    I hear this fella is in the running to get the job....
    JT said:

You guessed it.

Sacked.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21843906

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4849324/Michael-Appleton-sacked-by-Blackburn.html

MICHAEL APPLETON has been sacked as Blackburn boss after just two months in charge.
    The decision comes after Rovers were forced to come from behind to draw against fierce local rivals Burnley on Sunday.
    Rovers were also knocked out of the FA Cup by Championship rivals Millwall last week.
    The club is also lying 18th in the division just four points off the relegation zone.
    Appleton learned the news this morning, with the players said to be shocked by the decision by club owners Venky's.
    The former Preston midfielder left Blackpool to join Rovers in the new year after just 65 days in charge at Bloomfield Road.
    In 15 games he won four, drew five and lost six

• Options
    Good. What goes around, comes around!

He did the dirty on Blackpool by running after more money, now he is out of a job! I am not the slightest bit sorry for him.
  • Options
    Thought this was interesting on the BBC website.....

Championship relegation battle
    Only Wolves have a worse record than Blackburn in the the last 10 Championship games:

17. Blackpool 46pts (12pts in last 10)
    18. Blackburn 46 (10)
    19. Ipswich 46 (14)
    20. Barnsley 44 (20)
    21. Sheff Wed 43 (15)
    22. Peterborough 42 (16)
    23. Wolves 42 (9)
    24. Bristol City 39 (14)

And despite all the gloom on here , we're not in that lot!
  • Options
    we should be as our point tally from the last 10 games is............8 points !!
  • Options

we should be as our point tally from the last 10 games is............8 points !!

I told you it was interesting Golfie! :-0

• Options

Thought this was interesting on the BBC website.....

Championship relegation battle
    Only Wolves have a worse record than Blackburn in the the last 10 Championship games:

17. Blackpool 46pts (12pts in last 10)
    18. Blackburn 46 (10)
    19. Ipswich 46 (14)
    20. Barnsley 44 (20)
    21. Sheff Wed 43 (15)
    22. Peterborough 42 (16)
    23. Wolves 42 (9)
    24. Bristol City 39 (14)

And despite all the gloom on here , we're not in that lot!

This is a better indication.....

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D1/runin.html

Predicting that on recent form we will end up with 55 points.

This is how current form projects to the season & Blackburn would be in the bottom 3 - its incredibly tight!

11 Millwall 54.0
    12 Burnley 54.6
    13 Birmingham City 61.0
    14 Derby County 53.6
    15 Blackburn Rovers 52.3
    16 Charlton Athletic 55.0
    17 Huddersfield Town 57.4
    18 Blackpool 54.8
    19 Ipswich Town 56.4
    20 Barnsley 62.0
    21 Sheffield Wednesday 54.7
    22 Peterborough United 54.0
    23 Wolverhampton Wndrs 50.8
    24 Bristol City 49.4
  • Options
    Joke of a club at the moment. Venkys don't seem to have a clue.
  • Options

Blackburn Rovers FC: poisonous, unhealthy and well past its sell by date.

And that's just the chicken.

(boom boom etc etc)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Couldn't stop laughing at the pics of Appleton as potential next manager. It occurred to me earlier that any club getting through loads of managers in quick succession is in real danger of going down, particularly if there's not really much of a plan. (Ring any bells closer to home?)
    I reckon they might scrape by if they leave Bowyer in charge as they were winning under him before. Let's hope they get Dowie in then and it's one less relegation place for us to worry about
  • Options
    And we thought we had problems with our owners!!
  • Options
    Michael Appleton must be the luckiest Manager going in Football , how he keeps getting job after job is beyond me?
  • Options
    Blackburn owners are turning rovers into a laughing chicken stock!! Sorry! Seriously though a joke board! Feel for appleton
  • Options
    uie2 said:

Blackburn owners are turning rovers into a laughing chicken stock!! Sorry! Seriously though a joke board! Feel for appleton

I don't. He jumped ship from Portsmouth for a decent job at Blackpool. He could have done well there but he jumped again (I suspect for the money) and he got a big pay off. I know these chaps need to protect themselves, financially, but it was such an insult to leave Blackpool, when they gave him the job, five minutes after he got there.

• Options
    Bring back
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Don't understand the harsh criticism of Appleton for leaving Blackpool. Why do we treat football management so differently to any other job.

If any member of this forum posted in the looking for work thread that after one month in their current job they had been offered a bigger job with greater prospects for success and on top of that paying much more money I know the advice from most of us would be GO FOR IT! Managers like us all have bills to pay, families to look after and a career to further, lets not pretend we wouldn't consider doing the same under such circumstances.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    The Appleton at Blackpool bashing is unwarranted. I work with several Blackpool fans, been to a few games and briefed on what has been going on. Appleton left as all the promises made to him were broken and his relationship with the Oystons became untenable with regards to transfers and intended investments eg the training ground and infrastructure. That hotel built in the stadium, is theirs! The fans have no animosity over Appleton whatsoever. Appleton was not the first choice anyway - it was Adkins but his predicted sacking in Autumn did not materialise until January. The appointment left lots of fans scratching their heads anyway and his record at Blackpool suggested it was a blessing in disguise when he left to join Blackburn who themselves are a complete joke of a club. The Blackpool fans were more pissed at the fact Sean O Driscoll (who was locked on in getting the job), decided to go to relegation candidates Bristol City than at MA for leaving after 66 days! Like Holloway, Appleton kept quiet about the Oystons and the exact reasons for leaving. Non-disclosure agreement per chance? Oystons (Owen, Karl and Vicky) make millions and pay peanuts (scooping most of the parachute payments for themselves) to their staff and after 25 years, Bloomfield Road is still an unfinished stadium with a crap pitch and a temporary stand. It wasn't until 2009 that they finally had a stand behind that goal. If there is anyone to blame about Blackburn and Blackpool its the dickheads who run the club.
  • Options
    Depends if the other job had a lot less stability!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Of course that is true, but in football management all jobs are pretty unstable. If you also consider the factors that pork_pie has alluded to I would say it's no surprise Appleton made the decision he did.

Obviously it's not what he would have wanted as he will probably struggle to find a job, but he is now 500k richer for 2 months work.
  • Options
    After Sundays 1-1 draw with Burnley;

"I hope it's damaging to Burnley and I hope it feels like it's the worst result they have ever had," said Appleton.

lol. Bizarre.
  • Options
    In context Blackburn equalised in the 96th minute so Burnley probably did feel a little shit after that
  • Options
    Fair.

Still a bit over the top.
  • Options
    Must've made a pretty penny In pay offs I am sure he won't be too upset
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    At this rate, By the year 2018 it's estimated that you will be no more than 50 metres away from an ex Blackburn manager at any given time.
  • Options
    intensive industrialised farming of chickens in India = bad Karma = relegation
  • Options

intensive industrialised farming of chickens managers in India = bad Karma = relegation

With this and Wolves' keeper's self-inflicted injury we may yet stay up

• Options
    Burnley fan applies for vacant Blackburn job

CLARET and blue through and through James McDonough has managed to land himself a very unlikely job interview – the vacant manager’s position at arch-rivals Blackburn Rovers.

Burnley season ticket holder James (28), who lives in the shadow of Turf Moor, sent a spoof job application for the Ewood Park hotseat following the sacking of their third manager this season Michael Appleton.

His CV included his previous experience – managing the Princess Royal pub team in the Warburton’s Sunday League Burnley Division Two. James also favours the “Christmas Tree” formation adopted by England manager Terry Venables in Euro 96.

Not expecting any response, the former Barden High School pupil went back to his day job at Daisy Communications only to find he had been shortlisted by bookmakers Betvictor.

“Someone created a Facebook group calling for me to be appointed. Betvictor obviously spotted it and it snowballed from there.”

James even found himself trending on Twitter under the hashtag #MaccaForRovers which saw his odds slashed from 500-1 to 100-1.

“I received an email from Blackburn Rovers inviting me for a job interview. Apparently 40% of all bets placed have been on me. I’m guessing it’s mainly my friends and fellow Burnley fans!”

So what targets would James set for his under-pressure squad?

“I have to say my dream is to manage Blackburn in a great East Lancashire derby...against Accrington Stanley. I would also love to achieve unprecedented back-to-back relegations at Ewood Park.”

It has not all been plain sailing for James though. He suffered relegation with German side VFL Osnabruck on computer game Football Manager.
  • Options
    He got a much bigger payoff than he would have done at Pompey .....at the beginning of the year he was wondering if he was going to be paid...now he has won the Lottery --funny old game

good luck to the Lad and hope he is back in the game soon bet he is on Sky for next Blackburn game

Can imagine him singing all the way home ...lets have chicken tonight !!!!!!!!!!!