Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Appleton sacked - (2013 thread resurrected for wishful thinking purposes.)

Comments

• Options
    Rob62 said:

Don't understand the harsh criticism of Appleton for leaving Blackpool. Why do we treat football management so differently to any other job.

If any member of this forum posted in the looking for work thread that after one month in their current job they had been offered a bigger job with greater prospects for success and on top of that paying much more money I know the advice from most of us would be GO FOR IT! Managers like us all have bills to pay, families to look after and a career to further, lets not pretend we wouldn't consider doing the same under such circumstances.

Generally I get a bit frustrated with people who expect those in football to have different standards to themselves. But Appleton is a bit like a graduate that was failing in his first job but then decided to leave them in the lurch to take on another opportunity and then do the same to another employer, all within his first year of employment.

It's a very public industry so he'll be seen as the man who has had three jobs in his first year of employment - binned off two employers and left all three in a worse position than when he joined. Inexperienced, ineffective and disloyal. He's not completed a proper transfer window, worked with a youth setup or had enough time to bring a group of players together. Not a great CV. If he'd stayed at Pompey and fought a valiant rearguard action he'd have learned a bit more about his trade and while his pockets wouldn't be so well lined he wouldn't be utterly toxic. He's not even 40 and he's virtually unemployable, might have been a bit smarter playing the long game.
  • Options
    Appointed the caretaker in charge during probably their best run of the season for the remainder of it.
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

Don't understand the harsh criticism of Appleton for leaving Blackpool. Why do we treat football management so differently to any other job.

If any member of this forum posted in the looking for work thread that after one month in their current job they had been offered a bigger job with greater prospects for success and on top of that paying much more money I know the advice from most of us would be GO FOR IT! Managers like us all have bills to pay, families to look after and a career to further, lets not pretend we wouldn't consider doing the same under such circumstances.

If you are earning say 10k a week and another job is offering 15k a week (just an example) I don't see why you'd jump at the chance to go. At the end of the day you're still earning silly money with 10k a week and jumping ship doesn't exactly do wonders for your reputation in football.
  • Options

Rob62 said:

If you are earning say 10k a week and another job is offering 15k a week (just an example) I don't see why you'd jump at the chance to go. At the end of the day you're still earning silly money with 10k a week and jumping ship doesn't exactly do wonders for your reputation in football.
    Because you'd be earning another 240k a year. I don't about you but I wouldn't turn that payrise down!
  • Options
    lol @ the Burnley fan who's got an interview.
  • Options
    Excellent interview with the Burnley fan. You've got to watch this:

burnleyexpress.net/news/strange-but-true/burnley-fan-applies-for-vacant-blackburn-job-1-5515595
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    They're probably keeping him in reserve for when they sack the new guy in about a fortnight.

• Options
    You can get that guy at 25's
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You can't keep a good man down, he's about to be named the new Doncaster manager.
  • Options
    Honestly how is this bloke still walking into jobs. What exactly has he ever done?
  • Options
    Best Agent Ever!
  • Options

Honestly how is this bloke still walking into jobs. What exactly has he ever done?

Known the right people.

Football at it's worse.

• Options
    This bloke is actually indestructible when it comes to finding jobs.
  • Options

Apparently well regarded by the England manager for his coaching abilities. Doncaster have an experienced Director of football to oversee / assist. Might work.
  • Options

Apparently well regarded by the England manager for his coaching abilities. Doncaster have an experienced Director of football to oversee / assist. Might work.

this .. Ryan the owner is no mug, witness the Phoenix like rise of Donny FC
  • Options
    Good appointment
  • Options

having read all the posts above I only have 1 thing to say............

I bet they finish above us this season !!

We won't ask you to pick the winning lottery numbers, Golfie.

;o)

• Options
    I read the headline"Appleton Sacked" and thought bloody hell! That`s a world record! Thought he hadn`t even been confirmed as Donny manager yet! lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why has the Donny manager gone?
  • Options
    JT said:

Why has the Donny manager gone?

Moved upstairs to be director of football
  • Options

this .. Ryan the owner is no mug, witness the Phoenix like rise of Donny FC
    Good point.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    People harp on about all the top clubs looking abroad for their appointments and not giving the "cream" of British managers the chance to make the step up - very current given the opportunity that David Moyes now has. But surely this just proves that it's endemic all the way down the ladder. Reputation and relationships formed as a player or just being earmarked as a good young manager have meant the same old dross being recycled (and surely everyone is going to have a good 6 months/year somewhere however hopeless they are). How many jobs have the likes of Appleton, Dowie, Bruce, Cotterill, Saunders to name but a few strolled into?

Why aren't clubs giving this kind of opportunity to the likes of Steve Davis, Dean Smith, Gary Rowett or Mark Yates.
  • Options
    Gary Rowett, that's a blast from the past. How is he doing at Burton now?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Hearing its Paul Dickov at Donny.
  • Options
    Fear not, Appleton already has his eyes on another job..........

"Michael Appleton could be offered a swift return to management with ­England’s Under-21s.

Appleton is the ­leading candidate to ­replace Under-21 manager Stuart Pearce if he ­decides to step down after the European ­Championships in June.

Appleton has already been invited to watch ­England’s training sessions at St George’s Park ahead of the forthcoming friendly against the ­Republic of ­Ireland.

The 37-year-old worked for Three Lions boss Roy ­Hodgson and FA director of elite development Dan ­Ashworth at West Brom as assistant manager."

• Options
    Surely not.

Seriously.

Englandfans will not be getting my £75 next year if that wally ends up there. Clueless.
  • Options
    Dickov gets job at donny
  • Options
    Donny's number one criteria was an out of work manager then?!