Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Bolton - Post match views

Comments

• What about the strangulation attempt Freedman? The ref was poor there too - or do you not wish to dwell on that one? A little pathetic really.

We actually have some exclusive footage of the incident on CL here tonight:

• Great pic - I really get a sense that Kermogant plays for the fans. When he was closing down at the end, you could feel his passion for the club and it's fans.
  • Very enjoyable game today, although wasn't thinking it was going to be in the first 5 minutes. Jackson turned the tide for us with a real captain's goal. Thought Freedman made an error by immediately taking Sordell off for Butterfield, he and N'gog were running our defence ragged. As soon as they went 3-2 down about 5 minutes later Freedman couldn't wait to get another striker on, but they were not as effective as Sordell was. But we hung in well, Fuller had a great 2nd half, like the look of Harriot and I think Wiggins is staring to getting his game going.
  • What about the strangulation attempt Freedman? The ref was poor there too - or do you not wish to dwell on that one? A little pathetic really.

This.

Dawson was already walking towards the tunnel when he was surprised to see only a yellow.

But I didn't expect anything better from Freedman

• Trevor Kettle the wxxker who didnt even book the desperado who broke Grant Baseys leg at the Gas
  • edited March 2013
    Haven't checked the stats, but I'd guess 36 goals from Jackson probably makes him our most prolific scorer from midfield since ...Pardew? He's certainly got a much superior goals-per-game ratio than the likes of Jensen and Reid.

Almost every post on CL about Jackson makes reference to his ''lack of pace''. But for a lumbering old dinosaur who turns as slowly as an ocean liner, he's got a remarkable goal-scoring record!
  • edited March 2013
    I think Kettle will get marked down big time for the foul on Solly. JJ took a while to get to grips with this league, but is up to speed now.
  • I think Kettle will get marked down big time for the foul on Solly. JJ took a while to get to grips with this league, but is up to speed now.

He is the son in law of the Referees fixture secretary who allocates the games below the Premiership .

• I am so glad about today. Apart from the fact we needed the points and everyone desperately wanted to see a home win, I can't stick Bolton. With the possible exception of Leeds, there is perhaps no team that lives up to the epithet "dirty northern barstools" like they do. For as long as I can remember, they've always been the same: One very talented player surrounded by nine thugs and backed up by a half decent keeper. Today was different though; the thugs got found out and there was a noticeable lack of any key talent.

As for Charlton Harriot was a real handful, Hughes did a brilliant job and Fuller really had them on the rack in the second half. It was a pity, he couldn't get the goal he deserved for himself today, as it was his pressure that brought out Bolton's thuggery and gave us the openings we needed. Well done to Jackson, Dervite and Yann for the finishing. Good day al round.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:

I am so glad about today. Apart from the fact we needed the points and everyone desperately wanted to see a home win, I can't stick Bolton. With the possible exception of Leeds, there is perhaps no team that lives up to the epithet "dirty northern barstools" like they do. For as long as I can remember, they've always been the same: One very talented player surrounded by nine thugs and backed up by a half decent keeper. Today was different though; the thugs got found out and there was a noticeable lack of any key talent.

As for Charlton Harriot was a real handful, Hughes did a brilliant job and Fuller really had them on the rack in the second half. It was a pity, he couldn't get the goal he deserved for himself today, as it was his pressure that brought out Bolton's thuggery and gave us the openings we needed. Well done to Jackson, Dervite and Yann for the finishing. Good day al round.

Their front 2 were impressive to be fair. Had our centre backs all over the shop early doors. They don't seem to like it up em though!
  • On the way there, I had a serious discussion with my son on the do we renew/do we not renew our season tickets issue. We agreed we would, but a bit grudgingly and with no great enthusiasm. On the way back, we were bubbling over and can't wait to get our seats renewed for next season, which we are looking forward to so much.

Amazing what a balls-out performance, some decent attacking play, home goals and 3 points can do, isn't it? More please, you reds! No matter what anyone else says, I reckon we need 5 more points to be safe so let's start with 3 more at the seaside on Tuesday.
  • How do we sort out our home form? Playing Harriot is a big starter for 10. I think he adds a dimension and will be an increasing positive factor as he gets more games behind him.
  • Davo55 said:

On the way there, I had a serious discussion with my son on the do we renew/do we not renew our season tickets issue. We agreed we would, but a bit grudgingly and with no great enthusiasm. On the way back, we were bubbling over and can't wait to get our seats renewed for next season, which we are looking forward to so much.

Amazing what a balls-out performance, some decent attacking play, home goals and 3 points can do, isn't it? More please, you reds! No matter what anyone else says, I reckon we need 5 more points to be safe so let's start with 3 more at the seaside on Tuesday.

After 20 minutes I wanted £400 back I had just given to the ticket office

• Great performance, this set of players when its going against them do dig in, think a big part of this is that with Powelly they are really feel part of a collective unit.

Harriott continued his good form, he gives us a directness that we have been lacking at times during the season.

Hughes did make a difference, kept it simple, impressed with the cameo from Gower. Jacko's goals are worth his place in the side on their own, but you get the feeling that since being made skipper his game has really grown and feels a personal responsibility to a lead them on/off the pitch but b really dig in when things are going against us.

Up to Fuller has his critics (got to take the shoulder injury into account) but his value was seen with hs contribution to all 3 goals.

Why couldn't this performance happened 2 weeks ago!
  • How do we sort out our home form? Playing Harriot is a big starter for 10. I think he adds a dimension and will be an increasing positive factor as he gets more games behind him.

I agree. First time I've seen him in the flesh, and very excited about him. The good thing is that since we are beyond serious relegation danger, he can get some experience in a relatively relaxed environment. We have to be patient with him when he does things like take a shot when a cross would be a better option
  • Cannot underestimate the importance of Jacko's goal - season defining magnitude.
    We were being torn a new one and were looking at a cricket score.
    Sheer determination, step-up-to-the-plate captaincy and a quality finish.
    Totally changed the dynamic; and then the sending off and sacrifice of Sordell swung it in our favour.
    Where Jacko led the rest of the team followed.
    Great team spirit. Great character.
  • Cannot underestimate the importance of Jacko's goal - season defining magnitude.
    We were being torn a new one and were looking at a cricket score.
    Sheer determination, step-up-to-the-plate captaincy and a quality finish.
    Totally changed the dynamic; and then the sending off and sacrifice of Sordell swung it in our favour.
    Where Jacko led the rest of the team followed.
    Great team spirit. Great character.

Agree. Well said

Its been a while since we had a player who looks capable of taking people on.he certainly had the bolton defence at full stretch at times and there does look a lot more to come.hope he can progress into a real force for us.
  • Really really enjoyed today but lets not gloss over that at 0-2 there were some boos from the north stand and 17,000 people (including me ) thought we were about the witness a complete humiliation. Bolton have some really superb PL standard players (Alonso was superb at left back and Ngog and Kamara were top class) and we looked liked rank amateurs for the first 15mins.

It was Jonny Jackson who single handedly turned the mood around and his performance and goal was classic Captain Marvel stuff. He led from the front and without his leadership we could have seen a right drubbing.

After his goal anything was possible but let's not gloss over the Kettle factor, The ref was completely inept and should never be let near a professional football match again. This was not a nasty match and to issue 7 yellows and 2 reds was just ridiculous. No wonder the Bolton players boiled over.

Much as I enjoyed it, the Fuller foul was not a red card offence and I thought he was at least 5 feet from the nearest Bolton defender for the penalty.

Superb team performance,. Harriot was fearless and exciting, Jackson a hero, burgers were superb, the sun came out and I got the result right at 22-1.

Spring is her at last and I am staying in the East stand until further notice.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2013
    Chrissy clapped him, and Fuller had a bit of a moan at that shot. Chrissy knows that directness and attitude are a big thing for him. Followers of the youth side will know he has it in his locker to score great goals. I certainly don't mind him trying things - I think sometimes we are a bit inhibited attacking wise- maybe scared of getting a groan - but we need a player who is going to keep being direct - and defenders hate this as they know they can't keep him out every time.

If I was Chrissy, I'd say keep it up - ignore any senior pros telling you to do this or that. Do your thing!
  • Took my 5 year old daughter to her third game today hadnt seen us win yet but was ecstatic to see us do so today, she is now loving charlton and wants a season ticket
  • Kap10 said:

Listening online while on holiday and that was a gutsy performance.Well done SCP,you've instilled some attitude in the players at last for home fans to see.An excellent effort to come back from 2-0 down,seems like Jackson's goal was crucial.Fuller too hot to handle,hope his injury heals soon,may need his experience as we push for a play-off place!! Was that the same ref as at Oldham last season when three were sent-off? Support at the ground sounded
    great.

I'd put a change in attitude down to Jacko and the incredibly vocal Hughes rather than the statuesque management team during the first half. The players have to take most of the credit for todsys turnaround.

Oh dear, Kap. Statuesque? You think a lot of gesticulating is a sign of an effective manager?

Oh dear Prague no. But it was the captain and Hughes that turned it round.
  • Wiggins MOTM by a mile for me, this boy is mustard.

He and Harriott were our most potent threat, their link up play was terrific. Harriott's decision making let him down at times, but he is a real talent and the brains will come.

Hughes had some awful moments, but lead well and passed it better in the second half.

Fuller was rubbish in the first half but almost unplayable in the second.

Great day.
  • Even when we were pants in the first 20 mins or so, Wiggins and Harriott were running it down the left hand side.

Think that's definitely a strength we can exploit in the remaining games.
  • Just a thought. If we'd fought back from 2-0 down two weeks ago then drawn today, there'd probably be a greater feelgood factor, but we'd be a point worse off.
  • Very important win, hard to enjoy despite the fightback. Can't help thinking the formation is too negative, and didnt stop 2 goals going in quickly so why bother? Pair Pritchard Jackson in the middle and build round that perhaps? The East stand does look small from the lower West too.
  • Perhaps I'm wrong but werent both reds second yellows?
  • edited March 2013
    think Wiggins is returning to the best that we saw last season and him and Harry down the left are a quick talented combo, hopefully Harry will learn to chose when to cross or shoot and not just smack it into the first defender which he did on numerous times today but he has the ability, just a bit more thought might help him
    thought Hughes was useless for the first 25 mins and the game passed him by but he got going eventually and Dervitte was shocking for the two goals (but improved 2nd half) , i'm presuming it was he who was the pirouetting defender who made the miserable attempt to jump and block the 2nd goal that i also thought Hamer may have done better with
    johnnie jackson picked the game up by the scruff of the neck and took it to em and fairplay to him for that
    where as the support the team received was much acclaimed for the comeback v Cardiff there was some support at 0-1 but when Bolton scored to make it 0-2 there were plenty of booos and the crowd went quiet (do the boooers/silence now get the same credit for the win)
    Fuller was awful first half and must have run into their defenders fallen over at least a dozen times in the first half but he has ability and that's why he is on the pitch cos he offers something different
    Rozzers mate looks like he can play the game but looks like hes carrying some timber

still think we're getting the most of what we have got and SCP is key to this and when we stay up we'll need some drastic surgery if it next season isn't gonna be a complete grind

7th-12th 25% ....... 13th-21st 60% ..... the dreaded R 15%

• razil said:

Perhaps I'm wrong but werent both reds second yellows?

Yes