Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bolton - Post match views

Comments

• Options

think Wiggins is returning to the best that we saw last season and him and Harry down the left are a quick talented combo, hopefully Harry will learn to chose when to cross or shoot and not just smack it into the first defender which he did on numerous times today but he has the ability, just a bit more thought might help him
    thought Hughes was useless for the first 25 mins and the game passed him by but he got going eventually and Dervitte was shocking for the two goals (but improved 2nd half) , i'm presuming it was he who was the pirouetting defender who made the miserable attempt to jump and block the 2nd goal that i also thought Hamer may have done better with
    johnnie jackson picked the game up by the scruff of the neck and took it to em and fairplay to him for that
    where as the support the team received was much acclaimed for the comeback v Cardiff there was some support at 0-1 but when Bolton scored to make it 0-2 there were plenty of booos and the crowd went quiet (do the boooers/silence now get the same credit for the win)
    Fuller was awful first half and must have run into their defenders fallen over at least a dozen times in the first half but he has ability and that's why he is on the pitch cos he offers something different
    Rozzers mate looks like he can play the game but looks like hes carrying some timber

still think we're getting the most of what we have got and SCP is key to this and when we stay up we'll need some drastic surgery if it next season isn't gonna be a complete grind

7th-12th 25% ....... 13th-21st 60% ..... the dreaded R 15%

This, but the R ratio is perhaps a bit generous. Just this season where they all seem to keep winning I can't help but feel it will go right to the wire. We did ourselves a big favour today though
  • Options

Sorry, but you seem to have missed off the 'autos' and 'play offs' from your percentages. Please amend.
  • Options
    edited March 2013

top two 0% ................3rd-6th 0% will buy everyone a beer on Charltonlife before the home play off leg if it happens

• Options

Stig said:

I am so glad about today. Apart from the fact we needed the points and everyone desperately wanted to see a home win, I can't stick Bolton. With the possible exception of Leeds, there is perhaps no team that lives up to the epithet "dirty northern barstools" like they do. For as long as I can remember, they've always been the same: One very talented player surrounded by nine thugs and backed up by a half decent keeper. Today was different though; the thugs got found out and there was a noticeable lack of any key talent.

As for Charlton Harriot was a real handful, Hughes did a brilliant job and Fuller really had them on the rack in the second half. It was a pity, he couldn't get the goal he deserved for himself today, as it was his pressure that brought out Bolton's thuggery and gave us the openings we needed. Well done to Jackson, Dervite and Yann for the finishing. Good day al round.

Their front 2 were impressive to be fair. Had our centre backs all over the shop early doors. They don't seem to like it up em though!
    Yeah fair enough, though they haven't go anything like the flair of Okochta, Campo, Djorkaeff that we've seen in (not so) recent years or the old film of Frank Worthington I've seen.
  • Options
    first time we have scored 'only' 3 goals in a match this season

and does anyone know why the scum were above us in the league table(s) i saw before fridays fixtures , yet in our programme they had us above them ... same points same GD and same goals scored up until friday
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Posting without reading:

A welcome, welcome home win at last which, in the light of other results, was much needed.

I feared the worst when our midfield and defence parted in a fashion that Moses would have appreciated to allow N Gog to score. The second Bolton goal was a decent strike which left Hamer with little or no chance.

Cometh the hour cometh the man and once more, in a manner reminiscent of the Cardiff match, the skipper stepped up to the plate and worked a goal for himself which enabled us to go in just 2-1 down. To think that many on here wanted Jacko binned earlier this season!

Second half we came out as if we wanted it and deserved the equaliser which came courtesy of a sweetly struck free kick from Yann which rebounded into the path of an alert Dervite who crisply despatched it into the net. Fuller, who worked as hard today probably as in the rest of his appearances at home anyway, made a strong penetrating run into the box and was scythed down. Yann then kept his nerve to clinically put away the penalty.

Bolton had a man sent off (and later still another) but, rather like the Watford match at home, you'd never have known and it felt that they could equalise at any time as we sat further and further back. When 7 added minutes went up I feared the worst but thankfully we hung on.

Powell's tunnel salute was distinctly half hearted, probably because of sheer nervous exhaustion. That's certainly what I felt anyway.

A good solid team performance so invidious to pick individuals but Jackson got us back in it, Harriott is looking more and more comfortable at the level and Fuller's experience won the penalty that won the match.

Last thing: worryingly I heard from "a reliable source" tonight that Powell's job is on the line.

I hope and pray this win has removed some of the pressure.

• Options
    Ecstatic with the result but mainly with relief. 2 points above the dropzone tonight would have been an appalling place to be.

They were absolutely awful at the start, fuller was dreadful first half but they slowly worked their way into it and credit to fuller, oddly given his evident fitness issues he improved vastly second half and obviously was a bit of magic for the pen.

I hate watching us take pens but having seen that free kick two mins earlier (especially after his near miss against millwall too) i was very confident kerm would stick it away. I fucking love that man.

Lot of credit to jacko too - he has been one of our most consistent players in 2013, is our best finisher, and was the only one who turned up against millwall. Making a late claim for PoY but old solly probably has that nailed.

Another ground out win and by no means a perfect performance but we have almost enough wins now - points are what counts.

I can only think of blackpool away where we have won by more than 1 goal this season?

Ive been going for 20 years and bolton have twice had two players sent off against us in one game. Cant think of anybody else where that has happened? Dirty northern b*stards.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    that game was like a micro snap shot of our season this year... utter shit, battling spirit, no commitment, total commitment, sitting back, going for it, confident, bag of nerves, not taking our chances, taking our chances, fans on the turn, fans right behind the team ect ect... you get the picture!?

its been too long since ive had a saveloy treat and a nice chilled bottle of orangina on a saturday afternoon after the footy... life is good again ;~)

UTA!!!
  • Options
    My only frustration after an fantastic fight back by the boys was the way we played after going in front and Bolton going down to ten men, why was Kermorgant pulled back into midfield leaving just Fuller up front ? We were on top at this time and all that happened was that Bolton by-passed the midfield and lumped the ball up to the two big bruisers they had sat around our penalty area it seemed we were just inviting pressure and we didn't seem to have an idea of how to get out of the situation. But as I said, a great and hard earned win, we'll done CP and the boys.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Powell's tunnel salute was distinctly half hearted, probably because of sheer nervous exhaustion. That's certainly what I felt anyway.

Yeah definately half hearted, though I wondered if he'd thought how appropriate it would be given our home form. TBH I've never felt he was committed to tunnel jumping as a manager, but none of the regular first teamers seem to have the necessary joie de vivre to take over his mantle.
    LenGlover said:

worryingly I heard from "a reliable source" tonight that Powell's job is on the line.

Oh, how I hope that is wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Choice said:

took my 6 year old today and was lucky enough to video a great 7 mins on his ipod

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQb7Fxn9UnY

1 red card, the equaliser and the winner

Loved watching this having breakfast here in Oz Choice! Brilliant stuff mate, good to see your lad enjoying himself so much!

• Options
    vffvff
    edited March 2013
    Stig said:

LenGlover said:

Yeah definately half hearted, though I wondered if he'd thought how appropriate it would be given our home form. TBH I've never felt he was committed to tunnel jumping as a manager, but none of the regular first teamers seem to have the necessary joie de vivre to take over his mantle.
    LenGlover said:

worryingly I heard from "a reliable source" tonight that Powell's job is on the line.

Oh, how I hope that is wrong.
    I wanted to post on the game and just enjoy the victory. I am reading the above. Seems to me that TJ / MS are looking for an excuse / excuses.

What more can CP or any manager do on the resources available other than keep the team in the Championship ? CP is doing that. What TJ / MS seem to want is a magician, who can magic a premiership team on fresh air and little investment.

CP enjoys a lot of good will from the Charlton crowd, something that any other manager in a similar situation will not receive. Good will be in very short supply to TJ / MS from the Charlton crowd if they make a rash decision. In addition, changing managers for scant reason can send a club into freefall, look at Blackburn and Wolves. What CAFC needs is stability. CP is not perfect but he has my support. The team play for CP and it is that team spirit which is keeping us up.

The key reason that the club is not challenging for promotion is a lack of depth in the squad relating to investment. Changing managers to cover up that reality, will not go down well. TJ / MS need to consider this.
  • Options

Ecstatic with the result but mainly with relief. 2 points above the dropzone tonight would have been an appalling place to be.

They were absolutely awful at the start, fuller was dreadful first half but they slowly worked their way into it and credit to fuller, oddly given his evident fitness issues he improved vastly second half and obviously was a bit of magic for the pen.

I hate watching us take pens but having seen that free kick two mins earlier (especially after his near miss against millwall too) i was very confident kerm would stick it away. I fucking love that man.

Lot of credit to jacko too - he has been one of our most consistent players in 2013, is our best finisher, and was the only one who turned up against millwall. Making a late claim for PoY but old solly probably has that nailed.

Another ground out win and by no means a perfect performance but we have almost enough wins now - points are what counts.

I can only think of blackpool away where we have won by more than 1 goal this season?

Ive been going for 20 years and bolton have twice had two players sent off against us in one game. Cant think of anybody else where that has happened? Dirty northern b*stards.

Good point about margin of victories - when we get a goal we tend to lose a bit of ambition and that has cost us this season. I think if you are a bit braver, yes it may cost you from time to time, but over the course of the season you get more points than you lose.

Fortunately yesterday, when we sat back we were playing against 10, but against 11, we might have handed them a point. It is human nature but something Chrissy needs to change going forwards.
  • Options
    Hughes did it for me, always looked for the simple pass and generally managed it. He kept his head (after a shaky first 10 mins) and just settled the team. At last we have someone in midfield who does the intelligent stuff.
    Jacko better with Hughes as well.
    Gower looked tidy, a direct replacement for Hughes when subbed.
    Still backs to the wall for the last 10-15 minutes but a great win nonetheless. I just loved it!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I thought Gower looked a little slow -is a passer but difficult to gauge playing against 10. Needs to lose a little weight I think -which might explain why he hasn't started.
  • Options
    Interesting point made by oohah re the crowd.I hate the booers and think the crowd should stay positive at all times to help the team.However like many I just couldnt endure another saturday at the valley like those we had been seeing so I stayed away.Could someone/ a few of you give a full analysis of the influence if any the crowd had on the result saturday.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    LenGlover said:

Last thing: worryingly I heard from "a reliable source" tonight that Powell's job is on the line.

Hope not. Should be looking at extending his contract, not replacing him.

It's the team spirit that Powell has built and his motivation that's kept us out of the relegation zone.

The margins are so small in this league that given a decent budget (and keeping our better players) that we need 2/3 better players to be a play off side.

Do wonder if Slater and Jiminez are looking to sell the club, why would they want to spend money paying off Powell.
  • Options
    timken said:

Interesting point made by oohah re the crowd.I hate the booers and think the crowd should stay positive at all times to help the team.However like many I just couldnt endure another saturday at the valley like those we had been seeing so I stayed away.Could someone/ a few of you give a full analysis of the influence if any the crowd had on the result saturday.

I think JJ getting the first brought in the positivity before the crowd had a chance to get too disgruntled. You could sense they wanted and needed a reason to get behind Chrissy and the lads and thankfully they got it.
  • Options
    Huge win, and great to see the team show some real fight from being 2 down, but with the likes of Peterborough, Wolves & Ipswich winning we are not out of the woods yet. God knows how many points you need to be safe this season, could easily be 56 or 57. Will almost certainly be the highest points total ever to go down.
  • Options
    Choice's video - now that's what it's all about. Brilliant stuff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

LenGlover said:

It's the team spirit that Powell has built and his motivation that's kept us out of the relegation zone.

The margins are so small in this league that given a decent budget (and keeping our better players) that we need 2/3 better players to be a play off side.

Do wonder if Slater and Jiminez are looking to sell the club, why would they want to spend money paying off Powell.
    Was told by the bloke behind me that there was a 'consortium' at the match yesterday who are interested ! Make of that what u will!
  • Options
    bloodnut said:

its been too long since ive had a saveloy treat

Fnnaaar, fnnnnaaaar.

• Options
    timken said:

There was a small amount of people who left,and some booing after the second goal.none of this ideal of course and everyone should get behind the lads,but some just venting their frustration after such a poor home season.however i felt in the main the bulk of the fans did stay with the team,and cp is always quick to point this out.hope those who left at 2 down feel ashamed this morning though.
  • Options
    Muttley.I like that "they wanted and needed a reason to get behind chrissy and the lads".However brilliant and positive a crowd are they do need a bit of encouragement from the team.As long as the negativity doesnt get a foothold then there is a chance.When we lost big to sheff utd back in the Pardew era the negativity was so near the surface it just exploded out of the crowd and was unstoppable.I get the impression that the "wanting and needing to get behind the team" is always very near the surface at the valley these days which is vital.
  • Options
    I went to yesterday's game not believing we were going to get anything from the match.

At 2-0 down I was thinking it was going to be 5 or 6 by the end of the match.

When the 2nd goal went in I turned to my son and said whoever scores the next goal will win.

Up stepped Captain fantastic Johnny J, and the rest is history.

We seem to be better chasing a game , rather than taking the lead and building on it , for whatever reason.

I winced when Yann stepped up to take that penalty.

Great win, lots of guts and heart, lets try and build on it.
  • Options
    I'm a bit busy with the outlaws today. But I just have to say brilliant. Made my weekend. Can't wait for Brighton !
  • Options
    timken said:

Muttley.I like that "they wanted and needed a reason to get behind chrissy and the lads".However brilliant and positive a crowd are they do need a bit of encouragement from the team.As long as the negativity doesnt get a foothold then there is a chance.When we lost big to sheff utd back in the Pardew era the negativity was so near the surface it just exploded out of the crowd and was unstoppable.I get the impression that the "wanting and needing to get behind the team" is always very near the surface at the valley these days which is vital.

That is right. There were a few boos, mainly from the North, immediately after the second goal, but Jacko took the game by the scruff of the neck and the crowd responded. A lot of people clapped them off at half time and you don't often hear that for a side which is losing. Second half, led by the North as usual, crowd was behind them from the off. In the last ten there was a kind of anguished cry, from me included, as we failed to push up, and let them come at us. The joy at the end was suitable for winning the league.

It was good to be part of that yesterday.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Scoham said:

LenGlover said:

Was told by the bloke behind me that there was a 'consortium' at the match yesterday who are interested ! Make of that what u will!
    I can say with some authority that that is not the case. I was with Barnie and Serious as guests of RM,( although I went back to the East for the game) and there was no sign of such a consortium. Jiminez wasn't there either. Paul Elliott was, but that apparently is a regular occurrence, he was with the leader of Greenwich Council. We met Steve Bradshaw but there was no sign of Martin Prothero in the dining room.

Incidentally RM arrived with a swollen face, tooth absess, and left before the end to have it drained and have root canal done. Lesser people wouldn't have made it at all with something like that. At least we went ahead before he had to leave.
  • Options
    Fantastic 3 points for us yesterday, shocking opening half hour thought we were going to get hammered. I was saying just before half time I think Jackson and Dervite looked out of their depth, Great goal by Jackson to bring us back into the game and he done well in the second half. Same for Dervite once he settled down he looked pretty solid with Morrison. Glad they proved me wrong. credit to Powell as well must have been a great half time team talk. All in all a great 3 points. Well done Charlton
  • Options
    I was very pleased that Hughes was in the side at last. And glad to read that Fuller appears to have found both fitness and motivation. Dervite has a nice habit of scoring important goals, Harriott is playing like he has been in the team for years .. all augers well for a good end to the season, especially now that better weather is on the way