Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bolton - Post match views

Comments

• Options
    Not happy. £5 on Jacko to score the winner from the penalty spot @ 50-1.......and bloody Kermo takes the spot kick! Unbelievable!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    The important factor is that the manager still has the crowd. It's when the manager loses that, things go bad. We love Chrissy and that has been essential. Not sure another manager could rely on the same backing. Would be the biggest error ever to lose Chrissy - the board surely see that.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

Not happy. £5 on Jacko to score the winner from the penalty spot @ 50-1.......and bloody Kermo takes the spot kick! Unbelievable!

Ah, meldrew66, you should have read my post back in November following SCP's Q & A with NWKA.

After JJ's last miss from the spot, Ric went straight up to him and made it abundantly clear that HE would be taking the pens from then on.

However, with his injury seeing him limp from the action, I did wonder whether our brave captain might step up to the plate again ...but big Yann had other ideas.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Until recently JJ has done a decent job with pens, but I have always thought he gives the keeper a chance. I prefer penalties that don't. As long as he doesn't mess about, Yann looks like he could be the man, but Haynes takes a good penalty too.
  • Options
    Had the 'Cardiff' feel to it from the off.

I too, like many others on here thought this would be a killing at 2-0 down but the atmosphere throughout the game remained positive. Yes there were a few choice words after the second goal went in however, the support continued up until JJ's left footer brought us back into it.

I too turned to my son and told him that if we scored another, we would take them to the cleaners as we did Cardiff.

You can not fault their heart, spirit and general desire to win every game, however, the sitting back thing, absorbing pressure to try and see a game out does not and never has sat well with me.

We simply can not do it and have thrown games away too many times trying to 'kill the game'.

We need to keep pressing the oppostion until the final whistle to kill any game off at the moment.

Fantastic result, cut my leg on the seat jumping up and down after the penalty but it was worth it...........and breath!!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2013

Had the 'Cardiff' feel to it from the off.

I too, like many others on here thought this would be a killing at 2-0 down but the atmosphere throughout the game remained positive. Yes there were a few choice words after the second goal went in however, the support continued up until JJ's left footer brought us back into it.

I too turned to my son and told him that if we scored another, we would take them to the cleaners as we did Cardiff.

You can not fault their heart, spirit and general desire to win every game, however, the sitting back thing, absorbing pressure to try and see a game out does not and never has sat well with me.

We simply can not do it and have thrown games away too many times trying to 'kill the game'.

We need to keep pressing the oppostion until the final whistle to kill any game off at the moment.

Fantastic result, cut my leg on the seat jumping up and down after the penalty but it was worth it...........and breath!!!!

It has cost us a play off place - It isn't the opponents - it is us. At Palace I knew we needed to go in more than 1 up at half time, as it didn't matter how superior we were, we were going to defend that one goal. England did it on Tuesday. you could suddenly smell a goal in the air from a team that were previously outclassed, changed their tactics, but because we had a lead, these were not countered. Hodgson had options as the full backs were being pushed back - he needed to bring on width but he waited until they got that goal!

The problem is that when teams take risks, you have to be a bit more open, courageous and attacking to counter it and managers gamble on you not doing so. They then play higher up the pitch and create more chances and the more chances that are created, the more chance of a goal being scored. But if you do go for it, you'll win more points than you will by sitting back over the course of a season.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Just watched the FL programme on iPlayer .. 'Dorian Dervite was the quickest to react and scored his first goal for the club' says the voice-over commentator.. There is really no excuse for the BBC with its cast of hundreds of reporters and researchers to make mistakes like this. A simple mistake I know but this is symptomatic of a serious decline in the accuracy and attitude of the BBC, once the most reliable and prestigious news and broadcasting organisation in the world
  • Options
    I would add that Hamer really can't be blamed a lot for the second goal. I sit behind the goal and he wouldn't have been able to see the strike until the ball was right in the corner, it would take truly exceptional reflexes to have a chance of saving that one.
  • Options
    I thought Kettle made some dubious decisions, but they were in our favour for a change. But after watching the Oldham game last season, I expected lots of cards. I thought at the time that the tackle on Solly should have been a red - would have been penalised even in rugby (as a high tackle)! What is the opinion from anyone who has seen it on Player? SO pleased with the response at 0 2 and the result!
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

I would add that Hamer really can't be blamed a lot for the second goal. I sit behind the goal and he wouldn't have been able to see the strike until the ball was right in the corner, it would take truly exceptional reflexes to have a chance of saving that one.

Agree - also directly behind the shot in north lower. Problem was a lack of pressure on the ball, should never have had the time to shoot in the first place.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    redsek said:

Choice's video - now that's what it's all about. Brilliant stuff.

Superb, took my eldest for a few seasons before she grew too old and wise and found other things to do. Miss that so much.
  • Options
    @Choice - that video is brilliant mate. Had everything in it, had flask drinkers on your left and Sebby on the right, superb.

As for the game, Hughes was superb. How about that for a first game back, yes he took a while to get involved but he is the player type we have been missing. Stuck one on that Kamara (looked very good) in the first half and was playing some excellent passes and keeping it simple which is what we need.

Soon as I heard Dervitte was starting at centre back I was worried. I don't rate him there, i like him in a 5 man midfield as he is a very good ball player but at centre back he is a bit too soft. Got turned so easily for the first and was getting bullied all too easily. But well played to the lad, dusted off his poor first half and did well in the second, can't ask anymore than that.

The goals we conceded were terrible, just mentioned the first regarding Dervitte but for the second there was no responsibility about who was going to close down Kamara. No responsibility and a bit too half arsed. Give these kind of players space to crack a shot from that range and you are in trouble. Seen some people think Hamer was a little slow for it? I thought it was post perfect and a good hit.

Hamers claiming and handling was superb yesterday when it mattered. Excellent goalkeeper.

The excitement of Harriott on the ball is a breath of fresh air. He is still excited to be in the first team and has bundles of enthusiasm and talent, his confidence sky rockets when he skins another player. I have always thought we don't shoot enough in those positions and he is going for it, which personally I like to see.

As for the ref, well. The penalty looked a penalty, the guy who choke slammed Solly should have seen red, Fuller was through for that centre backs second yellow, Davies coming over shoving Morrison is a yellow and he went rashly in on a lunge (sit in upper North so maybe didn't see it as clearly) but looked a yellow.

Anyway great to win on a Saturday, what it is all about.
  • Options
    In homage to Len I am posting without reading.

What a fantastic three points. How much worse could the match have started. When the first goal went in after 3:47 they had already created three very decent chances. Dervite and Morrison were all at sea. The second was a dreadful bit of goalkeeping by Hamer. Seems he was beaten by a shot with little pace. At 0 - 2 I thought this could go one of two ways. We would come back or completely fold and get whacked by four or more. Fortunately Bolton were the ones to fold and the rest is history. Quite a few names to get mentioned in dispatches. Thought Fuller put in a very big shift. When he's like that he is a very big asset. Jackson and Pritchard ran themselves into the ground. Yann was immense. Harriot looks a very exiting prospect once he settles. I get the impression he is trying too hard at the moment. Biggest plus for me was Hughes. He was calm and efficient throughout and did simple things very well. Pity that age is against him. Need Cort back ASAP.
  • Options
    I really don't get the Hamer criticism . As people have said, he was unsighted and can't be blamed for us backing off and allowing a very well placed shot. That was the best I've seen him play for a while.

Trevor Kettle didn't disappoint either. ****.
  • Options
    After 20 mins looked like relegation certs - then Jackson took game by scruff of the neck a la cardiff and we were a different side. Fuller got his finger out, kermo got his chest out and 'happy feet' harriot got his dancing shoes out and we were off. 2 or 3 players away from being a decent side next year. Just need to get over the line now this season. Hopefully Ruamba is going to sort midfield out but still need another CM and at least one, probably two strikers who know where the net is.
  • Options
    And that video has me in it too, what more could you want.

Does anyone else think it looks like Fuller took a dive for the pen from the tv angle?
  • Options
    View of the penalty from my seat in the NW Quad was excellent. Fuller was definitely caught but he's Wiley enough to go down once there was contact made.
  • Options
    Already been said.

15-20 mins we were a shambolic mess and looked relegation fodder. Ngog and Sordell pulled Dervite and Morrison all over the shop.

After the break Fuller decided to play and the game changed dramatically.

Still thought we looked vulnerable at centre back and as it went on we retreated further and further and invited pressure.

Was expecting the worst until Davies totally lost the plot.
  • Options

Already been said.

15-20 mins we were a shambolic mess and looked relegation fodder. Ngog and Sordell pulled Dervite and Morrison all over the shop.

After the break Fuller decided to play and the game changed dramatically.

Still thought we looked vulnerable at centre back and as it went on we retreated further and further and invited pressure.

Was expecting the worst until Davies totally lost the plot.

Good summation, I bet you was gutted we won :-D
  • Options
    Choice said:

took my 6 year old today and was lucky enough to video a great 7 mins on his ipod

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQb7Fxn9UnY

1 red card, the equaliser and the winner

Watched this yesterday from California. Made my day. Really made me feel I was there. Cheers Choice. :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Excellent win , don't get the slagging off of our players though, some muppet loved it when Hughes got subbed. Bloke behind me had a go at Hamer first half,nothing about how well dealt with the 2nd half.
  • Options
    The booing seemed to come from the west?
    Just seen Jackson goal again on fls didn't see it at the time fullers clever flick on to lay it on a plate for jj.
  • Options
    Superb game! My only complaint was with Bolton down to 10 men, Fuller carrying an injury and Bolton trying to maintain a back line that was very nearly in our half of the pitch, why on earth was Haynes not introduced earlier? Against that line he could have bagged a hat-trick!
  • Options
    Agree with Rizzo; was getting rather frustrated at the delay getting Haynes on too.
  • Options
    I'm still buzzing from that game. Absolutely brilliant & a great reward for everyone that turned up to cheer the lads on.
  • Options
    The boys ain't ever stopped trying IMO just that the home record has become a monkey on their back

How many teams could fight back like that when hit early it shows great belief and character and a feeling for their mgr

Only hearing good things about the strength of bond in this team
  • Options
    As I have said before - I think Harriot is the missing piece in the home form jigsaw - just don't change the way he plays and be critical when it doesn't come off- just keep trying again. Defenders hate it!
  • Options

I'm still buzzing from that game. Absolutely brilliant & a great reward for everyone that turned up to cheer the lads on.

Yeah, glad you had a good time. When I turn up they can't be bothered ;-). Seriously though, glad of the three points. Looking forward to Brighton but only for the beers, not the loss!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The booing seemed to come from the west?
    Just seen Jackson goal again on fls didn't see it at the time fullers clever flick on to lay it on a plate for jj.

I sit in the West and there was nobody near me booing, a lady behind me was moaning about Hughes but that stopped after 30 minutes when I heard her rather begrudgingly admit that he was having a pretty decent game.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Most fans would boo when their team is 2-0 down and the game has just started! The fact ours didn't boo much is a good thing.

Another thought - we need to make more runs where we are likely to get central free kicks with Yann about.