Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Poor Robbie Elliot

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Don't think it is as simple as 'money or playing', like some are making it out to be.

Even if he isn't in the first team, there is still a lot of fulfilment that comes from saying you play for a Premier League club the size of Newcastle

Steve Harper was a sub goalie for about 20 years at Newcastle and is seen as a local hero!
  • Options

Southbank said:

An easy life with no pressure and lots of money. Why not?

Exactly, going into 'work' in the morning, play football for a bit, take the rest of the day off. Get pitch-side seats for the games.

Lots of money, no pressure, retire at 30-35 as a millionaire and decide whether to invest in properties or go into a bit of coaching....

I'd not say no, let's be honest.
    And anyone that says otherwise is talking out of their backside.
  • Options

Southbank said:

Exactly, going into 'work' in the morning, play football for a bit, take the rest of the day off. Get pitch-side seats for the games.

Lots of money, no pressure, retire at 30-35 as a millionaire and decide whether to invest in properties or go into a bit of coaching....

As opposed to sitting on it :)
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

He is obviously very comfortable indeed financially but I wonder how fulfilled he feels?

Will he get to 40 or so and regret not playing or will counting his wad prove sufficient consolation?

To be honest I think you are more likely to regret not going to a Premier League team, getting paid more and hoping a chance in the first team to prove yourself comes along than you are to regret playing 200 extra mid-table games in the Championship.
  • Options

Southbank said:

As opposed to sitting on it :)
    Very sharp Mr 1965!
  • Options

LenGlover said:

He is obviously very comfortable indeed financially but I wonder how fulfilled he feels?

Will he get to 40 or so and regret not playing or will counting his wad prove sufficient consolation?

To be honest I think you are more likely to regret not going to a Premier League team, getting paid more and hoping a chance in the first team to prove yourself comes along than you are to regret playing 200 extra mid-table games in the Championship.
    I'm not saying he shouldn't have taken the opportunity to go to Newcastle and as you say playing at the top level, which he has done, is obviously fulfilling but he's had splinters in his bottom for 3 plus years now along with the premiership wages.

Money won't be an issue after a 3 year premiership contract so how much of his career does he want to spend on a bench?
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Yep everyone has the same relaxed opinion about Diego Poyet and his move to west ham ;-)
    That's a bit of a different case given his potential - with respect to Rob Eliot I'd say the Championship is his level, Diego could well be an established Premier League player if he played his cards right imho.

Poyet needed to play to progress and get the money etc as a result later, I think Rob Eliot has done about as well as he can (and good for him).
  • Options
    Southbank said:

He mustn't want to play - simple as that.

If anyone in our squad hung around for 4 years without playing they'd get pelters for being a lazy, money grabbing whatnot.
  • Options
    Didn't someone say on here once he is having (or now has) a huge mansion built somewhere down in Kent.

After he retires and moves to his new home, I somehow suspect he will look back on his career quite happily.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    PL54 said:

Southbank said:

He mustn't want to play - simple as that.

If anyone in our squad hung around for 4 years without playing they'd get pelters for being a lazy, money grabbing whatnot.
    What if it was Pope? If Henderson was an ever present in the league for the next 4 years (we should be so lucky) and Pope played a few cup games?

I doubt we would.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Don't think it is as simple as 'money or playing', like some are making it out to be.

Even if he isn't in the first team, there is still a lot of fulfilment that comes from saying you play for a Premier League club the size of Newcastle

Steve Harper was a sub goalie for about 20 years at Newcastle and is seen as a local hero!

Steve Harper is a local lad though, so he will have more emotional ties to Newcastle than Elliot...
  • Options
    Wow 29 years old!
    Good luck Robbie, I reckon he'll drop down to the championship when his contracts up.
  • Options

Wow 29 years old!
    Good luck Robbie, I reckon he'll drop down to the championship when his contracts up.

Bit of a come down to move from a PL bench to a Championship bench.
  • Options
    Not likely to play now Pardew has gone
  • Options

Wow 29 years old!

I reckon you're right.

Keepers generally carry on quite a bit longer than outfield players - maybe he's thinking he's got 10 seasons left?

Sure, he's no doubt on good money and has the prestige of being signed to a premiership club.
    But the 2nd choice keeper is currently injured, so Robbie's on the bench for the 1st team - should the starting keeper suffer injury or sending off, he's putting on the gloves.

He probably stands a better chance of a Wembley appearance than at a Championship club, even as a bench keeper.
    And if Newcastle were to be relegated, he could be 1st choice for them in the Championship next season anyway!

• Options
    I'm not even sure Rob is 2nd chance keeper at the moment, as Karl Darlow when fit is probably ahead of him.
  • Options
    He needs to go out on loan and get games.
  • Options

Gladly take him on loan

• Options
    Called up to the Irish squad as understudy to Randolph following injury to Given.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From he's perspective staying at Newcastle is a good idea. Whether 1st choice or not.
  • Options

Gladly take him on loan

That says more about Pope's deficiencies than Robbie's attributes.
  • Options

Gladly take him on loan

So instead of a keeper that spills shots we'll have one that doesn't get near them?
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Gladly take him on loan

So instead of a keeper that spills shots we'll have one that doesn't get near them?
    Poor memory. He was fine until he played behind Doherty, Francis and
    Basey
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Called up to the Irish squad as understudy to Randolph following injury to Given.

He'll recall the days of competing with Randolph for the 1st team shirt at Charlton, having come through our youth ranks together.

• Options
    wmcf123 said:

iaitch said:

Gladly take him on loan

Basey
    Randolph had to play behind the same back line. I don't remember him getting beaten by many long range dipping shots which were Elliott's Achilles heal. I also seem to remember that the defensive unit was noticeably more comfortable with Randolph playing behind them.
  • Options
    Both Elliot and Randolph were great shot stoppers at Charlton.

The difference to me, Randolph seemed more athletic and quicker on his feet than Robbie.

• Options

wmcf123 said:

iaitch said:

Gladly take him on loan

Basey
    Randolph had to play behind the same back line. I don't remember him getting beaten by many long range dipping shots which were Elliott's Achilles heal. I also seem to remember that the defensive unit was noticeably more comfortable with Randolph playing behind them.
    No he didn't . He played behind Richardson, Dailly , Sodje and Borrowdale in a run when we won a whole lot of games. Randolph was decent on his line but awful on crosses. He seems to have improved- good on him
  • Options

Southbank said:

If he's got any sense, he's investing now. With all the spare time he's got ...
  • Options
    Krul injured for Holland so may well get some game time now