Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Poor Robbie Elliot

Comments

• Options
    No hindsight as I always rated him and wanted him to be a success.
  • Options
    So did I. It doesn't change the fact he'd been stealing a living, happily getting splinters on his arse for the past 3 and a half years before his recent run in the team though!
  • Options
    To the CAFC fans who gave Pope stick.
    What are your views on the 2 goals conceded by one of the best
    Keepers in Europe ? Hugo Lloris ?
  • Options

Second one was poor, but you know Loris has played at the top level for many many years. If you're comparing the two I can tell you pope isn't even close to his level.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Second one was poor, but you know Loris has played at the top level for many many years. If you're comparing the two I can tell you pope isn't even close to his level.
    He made two bad mistakes for the goals, which cost Spurs 3 points.
    So if you are in credit you are allowed to make howlers ?

Why would you think that i was comparing CAFC reserve keeper with the best sweeper keeper in the country !
  • Options

Very sloppy errors from a keeper as good as Lloris. Disappointing if it was Hendo. Par for the course with Pope.
  • Options

So did I. It doesn't change the fact he'd been stealing a living, happily getting splinters on his arse for the past 3 and a half years before his recent run in the team though!

Stealing a living? Give over. As a keeper there is only one position you can take on the pitch and if someone like Krul is doing well what can you do? And how do you know what he is like in training every day? How do you know he's been happy getting splinters in his arse?
    I never said he was better than Krul, he's not. My point is he's been happy to sit on the bench at a premier league club, turn up for training a couple of hours a day, collect his wages and be 2nd/3rd choice for the past 3 and a half seasons rather than play week in, week out at a championship club, thus in my view, stealing a living
  • Options

Stealing a living? Give over. As a keeper there is only one position you can take on the pitch and if someone like Krul is doing well what can you do? And how do you know what he is like in training every day? How do you know he's been happy getting splinters in his arse?
    I never said he was better than Krul, he's not. My point is he's been happy to sit on the bench at a premier league club, turn up for training a couple of hours a day, collect his wages and be 2nd/3rd choice for the past 3 and a half seasons rather than play week in, week out at a championship club, thus in my view, stealing a living
    Wouldn't you do the same? If someone offered you an easy job at three times your current wages, would you take it? Or would you prefer to work much harder for a third of the money? I'd take option 1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

But there are the wages to consider.
  • Options

Wouldn't you do the same? If someone offered you an easy job at three times your current wages, would you take it? Or would you prefer to work much harder for a third of the money? I'd take option 1.
    I think virtually everybody would go for the first option.
  • Options
    Only Danny Green does that, apparently.
  • Options
    Something wrong here. Elliott, Hamer and Randolph all get to the Premiership but not good enough for us?
    Perhaps we missed the potential of Thuram!!!
  • Options
    Elliot would have only seen him play at The Valley for Newcastle , young lad
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Some great Twitter banter after. That well known Geordie Rob Lee congratulated him on his performance for NUFC to which Robbie replied, "Wow, thanks, used to watch u at the Valley!"

Ever an Addick our Robbie, unlike Mr Lee...

To which Rob Lee I'm sure replied saying... "Where?"
    erm.. we left The Valley in 1985 - 30 years ago. Elliot is 29. So Robert Lee would be entitled to ask "when was that"? (barring the odd game where he was playing for someone else)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think some people refer to watching "Charlton" / "the Valley" as the same thing though without remembering that we did play elsewhere
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Smashing lad, know a relative of his and have met him a few times. Still follows our results closely, well played today and good luck to you Robbie, fill your boots :wink:

RedChaser said:

Smashing lad, know a relative of his and have met him a few times. Still follows our results closely, well played today and good luck to you Robbie, fill your boots :wink:

I was friends with his uncle Dave (RIP) he was always telling me that Rob was going to be Charlton's number one, he would be a very proud uncle if alive today.
  • Options

Something wrong here. Elliott, Hamer and Randolph all get to the Premiership but not good enough for us?

Elliot and Randolph were with us at the same time and Elliot seemed to be first choice so Randolph left to get more playing time elsewhere.

Newcastle then came in for Elliot so he went there to further his ambitions.

Same with Hamer, Leicester came in and offered him a job.

Probably all good enough for us but they decided to go, none of them exactly first team regulars although Elliot is having a run at the moment.
  • Options
    Randolph, Elliott and Hamer were all too expensive for us.
  • Options

Again, not arguing that. I'm just clarifying my stealing a living comment.

Look, I understand that Robbie is 1 of our own, therefore people feel he is beyond criticism. He has picked up a lot of money in the past few years for doing very little. Fair play to him, I just feel he could've done a lot more with his career in the past few years, given the talent he has
  • Options
    We should be pleased any academy player plays at a higher level. He wasn't a premiership keeper when he signed and had to train, day in day out, to become one. if he wasn't good enough he wouldn't play - simple as that. I recall he has played at every level from conference south up to international level and if stay fits will have a good chance of going to the European championships next summer.
  • Options
    No idea what a professional in sport has to do when they are not playing every week so I guess they still have to keep fit and be ready when called upon not sit on their arse all day. He could have easily asked for a move to another club but has stuck it out and now he is getting his reward.
  • Options

Hardly, none of the 3 were let go by us, 2 got good moves to the PL, while Randolph chose to leave. I would have been very happy if Randolph or Elliott had stayed with us and been our No1 for the last 5 years.

Robbie's shot stopping has certainly improved, he looks more agile now.
  • Options
    The first thing to say about Robbie Elliot is that he looks like he has lost all of his youthful puppy fat.

Looks like he has shed 10-15kg, and as others have said, it has certainly made a difference to his game - he is far more athletic than before.

Always torn with the Geordies, as I have so many great mates from the area that I want them to do well, but then I look at Mike Ashley and Steve McLaren and can only wish them misfortune!!!
  • Options
    Be interesting to see what happens next month, no secret that Victor Valdes was being linked with Newcastle since Tim Krul got injured... I hope they stick with Rob though as they've only won in the league with him in Goal (?)