Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Slater's Predictions

In summer 2011 he said we were building a squad to win promotion from League 1 and then compete in the Championship - he was poo-pooed by many.
Earlier this year he said we would finish between 8th & 12th place - again he was poo-pooed by many.

Two-nil to Slater I think. Wonder where he sees us finishing next season?

Comments

• Options
    Always said he'd like to be chairman of a prem club.
  • Options
    Well done to him and board credit where it is due. Kept the club going and in a much better position than I hoped we would be when they took over.

Massive sigh of relief. Dunno what put the idea in my head but had a horrible feeling since summer we wouldn't even complete the season.

Well done Charlton, onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    We have completed the season and more important competed! As Chris Powell stated, every one has learnt a lot on the pitch and the club will come back stronger next time...

Some players won't come back and I would thank them for their efforts in getting us this far. It remains to be seen what the squad will look like by end August but here's hoping the recent home form continues on top of the exceptional away form - let's see where we are in October
  • Options
    If he thinks he can take more than a slither of credit for this finish more fool him.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The board held their nerve and stuck with Powell in early November where other owners might've panicked, I can give them credit for that.
  • Options

If he thinks he can take more than a slither of credit for this finish more fool him.

he's been putting one million pound per month into the club so credit where it's due
    i mean those sort of charitable donations don't grow on trees!
  • Options
    Yes due credit to him and the Board - how many of us are prepared to waive goodbye to £7m each year?? Minty allegedly stated at Bromley Addicks that there was no 5 year plan but whether true or not we do cunningly appear to be on track of a 5 year plan that does not exist!!!!
  • Options

Weird.
  • Options

he's been putting one million pound per month into the club
    Of whose money though?

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Even I can't be that cold hearted ;-)

Everyone involved deserves some credit for the last 24 months. Onwards and upwards!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So true, i mean only £15M and bringing in Powell as boss. Otherwise what has the board done for CAFC?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Whatever the wrongs and lows - we left the ground today looking at the stars with total optimism. There has been a change of direction that nobody can surely deny.
  • Options

unbelievable
  • Options

he's been putting one million pound per month into the club
    Of whose money though?

Definitely not his own. He used the verb "transferring". He's not the new Richard Murray. But neither did he sack SCP, nor did he sell any assets. There have been worse managed clubs than ours in this league, starting with Wolves and an honourable mention for Blackburn.
  • Options
    It was inevitable I guess, but I didn't intend this thread to turn into another 'the board are great/the board are evil' argument, more just to give Slater a bit of credit for his 'predictions'.

He's a lawyer and everything he's said publicly has been carefully worded. He's certainly not made many promises or predictions but he ended up being spot on with two of his more stand-out statements. That's undeniable whatever you think of him.
  • Options
    I seem to remember someone posting on here at the beginning of the season and saying that if we finish just above the relegation places and with Chris Powell still as manger he/she would be happy, alluding to boardroom problems for the statement. Well we have far surpassed those expectations so the board should be congratulated.
  • Options

It was inevitable I guess, but I didn't intend this thread to turn into another 'the board are great/the board are evil' argument, more just to give Slater a bit of credit for his 'predictions.

It was a tongue in cheek comment.. whatever anyone thinks this year has produced an overwhelmingly positive result!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Dont think you need to apologise ISaw, I'm.with you. I trust those at the top of the table as far as I can throw them.

I think we have a great year. I thank Powell his staff and players working brilliantly within that. Theyve been brilliant.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I seem to remember someone posting on here at the beginning of the season and saying that if we finish just above the relegation places and with Chris Powell still as manger he/she would be happy, alluding to boardroom problems for the statement. Well we have far surpassed those expectations so the board should be congratulated.

It was never a prediction. The discussion was about whether we should be spending to try to get promoted/secure our status or be financially prudent and settle for staying up. My point was that simply in order to stay up there would have to be major investment, which was already obvious from the published accounts and Slater has substantiated with his own comments in January. That money has come in as loans. Anyone who thinks they accept they have waved goodbye to it is naive. Whether they will be able to get it back is another matter.

I have a fat file of documentary evidence about the club's financial position last summer, including emails about the crisis between the head of finance, the chief executive and the rest of the board. Anyone who thinks the club was not at risk is simply wrong. Nevertheless Chris is still here and he has performed miracles in the circumstances. I give all the credit to him.
  • Options

It was never a prediction. The discussion was about whether we should be spending to try to get promoted/secure our status or be financially prudent and settle for staying up. My point was that simply in order to stay up there would have to be major investment, which was already obvious from the published accounts and Slater has substantiated with his own comments in January. That money has come in as loans. Anyone who thinks they accept they have waved goodbye to it is naive. Whether they will be able to get it back is another matter.

I have a fat file of documentary evidence about the club's financial position last summer, including emails about the crisis between the head of finance, the chief executive and the rest of the board. Anyone who thinks the club was not at risk is simply wrong. Nevertheless Chris is still here and he has performed miracles in the circumstances. I give all the credit to him.
    Why does it matter that we were at risk? The board have kept us afloat and stuck by our legend and hero of a manager and allowed us to hang on to key players! They should be able to see how close we have been and will have a plan on what to do next
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2013
    sammy391 said:

Why does it matter that we were at risk? The board have kept us afloat and stuck by our legend and hero of a manager and allowed us to hang on to key players! They should be able to see how close we have been and will have a plan on what to do next
    My post was a response to one questioning what I said at the time. It wasn't me looking to revive that discussion. But since you ask, it matters now because the same problems exist to a greater or lesser extent. Redundancies are underway again at The Valley. And as Richard seems to have told the Bromley meeting, there is no plan.

But I do think we should take some time to enjoy yesterday and the end to the season.
  • Options

I have a fat file of documentary evidence about the club's financial position last summer, including emails about the crisis between the head of finance, the chief executive and the rest of the board. Anyone who thinks the club was not at risk is simply wrong.
    That's a rather odd thing to admit to on a public forum, given your own circumstances. You might want to consider editing that.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    What has always irked me about this whole thing AB is if the club was in THAT much danger requiring action from fans then why so much cryptic tit bits and innuendo over the past year?

Surely if we were in that much danger any Charlton fan possessing knowledge would divulge it all warts n'all immediately and not cause the mass panic with all the bits and bobs here and there.

Sorry but it all just comes across as very bitter now. Anyone with any nous knows that businessmen, with no prior allegiances, who buy a club are just there for an ego trip with a view to making money and to do that you have to get the club in a more attractive position to either sell to others or reap the dosh in the premiership. Only other way is asset stripping and there is no evidence of that so far and no indication that is an intention. I dont think they would stomach the backlash it would create for starters.

You either act professionally and keep schtum or blow the whistle completely but snide comments and snippets of info here and there dont give the whole picture and put those not in the know into a mass panic.

Not meaning to be too personal but you aren't doing yourself any favours....if you have a legitimate gripe then I hope it all gets sorted out and you get compensated etc but this constant digging the board out is like a black cloud on every thread that expresses a modicum of gratitude or credit towards those who have continued to keep the club as a going concern for the past 2 years and who have put us in a better position than I could have forseen when we had lost our pride, league status and couldnt see an end to the demise.

On a factual basis as a joe average charlton supporter if i had never read anything on here last summer and since then apart from the millwall policing debacle where i (now very much regrettably) ranted against the board still reeling from the result and whole day (only later to find out it was the incompetent and spineless plod's fault essentially for the latter) then there I can only see good things from the board since they took over. Everything else is just gossip, implication and speculation and very bias and one sided at that.

This is a thread congratulating Slater and the Board for what they have done since taking over. Like it or not we are in a better position on and off the pitch than before they turned up.

Without their money there is no club. It is easy to lose sight of that. If I was Slater et al and had read some of the dog's abuse aimed towards them here and elsewhere over the past year then I'd have counted my losses and jacked it in instead of continuing to spend money in the vague hope of a takeover or promotion. I for one am grateful for the board's money and continued support of CP and the club. Yes in an ideal world they would have found the money to further strengthen the squad with x million and we'd be planning trips to Old Trafford next season but it hasnt worked out like that.

For me a joe average Charlton supporter, they and Richard Murray have continued to make the best of what was an appalling situation only two seasons ago.

If they decide to cut their losses and leave now then we would have something to really panic about.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I have a fat file of documentary evidence about the club's financial position last summer, including emails about the crisis between the head of finance, the chief executive and the rest of the board. Anyone who thinks the club was not at risk is simply wrong.
    That's a rather odd thing to admit to on a public forum, given your own circumstances. You might want to consider editing that.
    It's not news to the club.
  • Options
    Great post Rodney.

I was talking to someone only this week who has acted as the Administrator for a professional football club.

I asked him why he thought anyone would want to buy a football club, in his professional opinion, given that he was responsible for finding buyers.

One word, "ego".

Not particularly from the status symbol/plaything angle, but more because they all thought they could make money where others had failed. (Think Alan Sugar)

However, the flip side to this was that a lot of potential purchasers are eventually put off at the thought of the levels of abuse they may be setting themselves and their families up for if things didn't go well.

Worth thinking about. Maybe this has something to do with the amount of secrecy we seem to have at the moment - which is equally why if it was my business I wouldn't want people on the inside throwing stones.
  • Options
    This season has far and above exceeded my expectations , which is great , thankyou CP, and whoever has put their hand in their pocket / and or loaded us up with repayable debt.

Just hope the fans don't get carried away and think that unless we end up in the playoffs next season then the season will have been a flop.

Can't believe many of us at the start of the season thought we'd end up 9th.
  • Options
    I would imagine approximately 85 out of 92 clubs in England are "in trouble" if you consider expenditure against income.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

What has always irked me about this whole thing AB is if the club was in THAT much danger requiring action from fans then why so much cryptic tit bits and innuendo over the past year?

Surely if we were in that much danger any Charlton fan possessing knowledge would divulge it all warts n'all immediately and not cause the mass panic with all the bits and bobs here and there.

Sorry but it all just comes across as very bitter now. Anyone with any nous knows that businessmen, with no prior allegiances, who buy a club are just there for an ego trip with a view to making money and to do that you have to get the club in a more attractive position to either sell to others or reap the dosh in the premiership. Only other way is asset stripping and there is no evidence of that so far and no indication that is an intention. I dont think they would stomach the backlash it would create for starters.

You either act professionally and keep schtum or blow the whistle completely but snide comments and snippets of info here and there dont give the whole picture and put those not in the know into a mass panic.

Not meaning to be too personal but you aren't doing yourself any favours....if you have a legitimate gripe then I hope it all gets sorted out and you get compensated etc but this constant digging the board out is like a black cloud on every thread that expresses a modicum of gratitude or credit towards those who have continued to keep the club as a going concern for the past 2 years and who have put us in a better position than I could have forseen when we had lost our pride, league status and couldnt see an end to the demise.

On a factual basis as a joe average charlton supporter if i had never read anything on here last summer and since then apart from the millwall policing debacle where i (now very much regrettably) ranted against the board (only later to find out it was the incompetent and spineless plod's fault essentially) then there I can only see good things from the board since they took over. Everything else is just gossip, implication and speculation and very bias and one sided at that.

This is a thread congratulating Slater and the Board for what they have done since taking over. Like it or not we are in a better position on and off the pitch than before they turned up.

Without their money there is no club. It is easy to lose sight of that. If I was Slater and et al and had read some of the dog's abuse aimed towards them here and elsewhere over the past year then I'd have counted my losses and jacked it in instead of continuing to spend money in the vague hope of a takeover or promotion. I for one am grateful for the board's money and continued support of CP and the club. Yes in an ideal world they would have found the money to further strengthen the squad with x million and we'd be planning trips to Old Trafford next season but it hasnt worked out like that.

For me a joe average Charlton supporter, they and Richard Murray have continued to make the best of what was an appalling situation only two seasons ago.

If they decide to cut their losses and leave now then we would have something to really panic about.

This is a bit like arguing that because North Korea has never used nuclear weapons there's no problem with them having them. I do understand that you'd like a warts and all expose, but for legal reasons and to protect the interests of others I can't provide one.

I would point out, however, that various things I have posted on here over the last year - such as the fact that Varney and Kavanagh did not leave amicably (disputed here for many months), the Stephens transfer mess-up, Murray paying the wages, HMRC threatening the club, the new management structure advertised behind the senior staff's backs have all been verified subsequently, either elsewhere or by Richard Murray at Bromley last week.

I think those of you who put your faith in Slater, Jimenez or Prothero are deluding yourselves, based on my experience of them. But I don't think I need to make that point any further so let's see what the next few months bring. If it all ends well for the club I'll be as pleased as anyone else
  • Options
    Our owners deserve credit for choosing Chris Powell and sticking with him through thick and thin. If you look at our history their test may come some time in the future when they have to replace him.
  • Options
    And I'm sure the club are ecstatic about you telling everyone they have had some run ins with HMRC.

Anyone did anything like that in my organisation and they'd be out - rightly in my view.