Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Slater's Predictions

Comments

• Options
    If there had been money in january would harriot have got a look in ? And those trophies tend to suggest there are others behind him...also a team that gels and plays to each others strengths and weaknesses will beat a team if 11 stars..I think in recent weeks we've seen a team that's found its game
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    All valid points but I would have liked to have seen two January signings to either steady what was then a rocky boat or as pieces of the jigsaw that we found too late.We finished three, 3 points off the playoffs and I think we with the benefit of hindsight might have got those three points with some fresh faces.
  • Options
    Just to clarify its just a theory from reading on here and thinking of how I would probably react if I was in cash's shoes. I don't have any inside knowledge and have no "connections" to speak of at all.
  • Options

Just to clarify its just a theory from reading on here and thinking of how I would probably react if I was in cash's shoes. I don't have any inside knowledge and have no "connections" to speak of at all.

Yeah right. We know who you really are. ;0)

• Options
    edited May 2013

It all seems like it was OK to keep this quiet all the time AB was employed by the club but it's all over an internet forum as soon as you're not. Bit hypocritical if you ask me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, which I'm sure you will.

So if I understand this correctly, some people think (quite wrongly, according to Slater) I was sacked for posting confidential information on the internet while an employee, but you think it's hypocritical that I didn't. Is that it?
  • Options
    Personally, I' d prefer it if the club and all concerned get it right for the least amount of money they can and build a legacy, not a bankruptcy
  • Options

my opinion, prior to the reports from the bromley addicks meeting is this:

TJ convinced Cash to give him/loan the money to buy and run Charlton. They rightly thought that the first half season should be a write off to allow the new manager to settle, then reinvest in the club. Everything was fine and dandy with Cash until we made it to the championship.

Now, TJ probably sold the idea of buying charlton by saying that the club would break even in the championship (which it would have done, a year/two years prior to our promotion). This seems like a very attractive deal if you can make it to the premier league, spend a couple of million in transfer fees and then you're in the premier league and the big bucks and can then sell the club on for a substantial profit.

However, as we all know the tv deals/money changed the season we got promoted which would mean that we would make a loss every season. Cash, expecting only to put in a few million for transfers over a couple of years was shocked to find TJ come cap in hand asking for £7-8 million a season just to keep the club running. Now, I'm aware that KC is a very shrewd businessman, anyone who amasses his amount of wealth on their own tend to be. The first thing a buisnessman thinks when something doesn't seem right is to get the hell out of there. This deal that he entered into now looked like it could be a very expensive disaster. So KC got spooked and stopped the money, probably claiming TJ had lied to him, TJ then probably managed to pass the blame on to Peter Varney, who had sold the idea of buying the club to him.

So here we have Varney's departure and Cash wanting out and no transfer kitty for Powell to spend. Fast forward to the end of another successful season, Cash can probably see that spending a few million more this season could make him a richer man and get his loans back. Thus maybe why he's back on board having retained a small interest with Slater's percentage. Slater is purely on board to make sure the money trail, from a legal standpoint, is a maze and hard to prove Cash is involved. As well as being able to give very diplomatic and carefully worded answers.

Alternatively, the owners' plan in the first place was to not spend on the playing staff this season and assume that the league one winning side was good enough for the championship, and then push on this summer. So saving them a bit in the pocket.

Now, they don't sound like very pleasant people, unlike our previous board, but they seem to have some kind of buisness plan that they might even be hiding from RM.

Although RM's comments about not having a 5 year plan does confuse me some what and changes my theory a bit, but that might be due to the lack of money available this season.

I have heard similar stories since I took a closer look. The only thing I would add is that a planned loss of as much as £10M was suggested last April for this season either to consolidate or push a bit further. If whatever disputes had not been resolved then Stephens would have been sold for surely we would have needed whatever was on off... and Fuller and loan players would not have appeared. This is a multi-million business not a sweet shop - it is only clubs that look like car crashes which end up as car crashes. As per Trust News and now confirmed the losses will be around £7M this season and we now know for sure that this squad are good enough to push on into the top six.

This all makes the club much more bankable in terms of new investment, selling the odd player and building the crowds - or even selling the club outright, so yes this board have turned the supertanker round, at least on the pitch. I cannot comment regarding off the pitch and even if I had a clear view I would be talking with the Trust committee and to the club.
    This trust is for fair weather and foul and if people thought the last two seasons were roller coaster they ain't seen nothing yet! Next season CAFC needs to push on and yet there will be clubs coming down from the Premier League who are not like Wolves and Blackburn. The top six is going to be a big ask but that is where CAFC needs to be and where this board want to be.

• Options

It all seems like it was OK to keep this quiet all the time AB was employed by the club but it's all over an internet forum as soon as you're not. Bit hypocritical if you ask me.

So if I understand this correctly, some people think (quite wrongly, according to Slater) I was sacked for posting confidential information on the internet while an employee, but you think it's hypocritical that I didn't. Is that it?
    So why do it now then? I don't know why you were sacked.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

So why do it now then? I don't know why you were sacked.
    You'd need to be more specific about what information you mean for me to answer that. But in terms of things that have happened since October or which I've discovered since then I have the same interest in what is happening and same right to discuss it as anyone else, don't I? Before then I didn't.
  • Options
    I think people should give Airman some slack and respect. He has done great things for the club and given what has happened he isn't going to love the board.

The way I see it is based on the limited facts I know. That the club was in deep you know what when the board took over and that they appointed Powell and backed him to get us up. That we now have a more than decent Championship squad missing the play offs by only 3 points. Now there is generally no smoke without fire and the way people have left suggest something is wrong but we can't possibly be in a worse position than we were when they took over, surely.

The summer may be telling. I would have thought that relatively small investment could allow this manager and squad to really have a go. Will it happen?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good post Muttley.
    We should also never forget to look outside our own club. This division is a basket case financially because of the ridiculous way TV money is distributed. We don't get as much as we should but Chris Powell has showed that good management can overcome the inequalities, up to a point.
    We have the Airman Brown viewpoint, and the Richard Murray viewpoint. For me the tragedy is that both these people should be part of Charlton folklore, yet they seem now to be set against each other. What we need is an understanding of the Clubs real prospects, which I hope we can do through the Trust.
  • Options
    Prague both AB and RM are surely part of the folklore
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Prague both AB and RM are surely part of the folklore

Sure they are. I'm sad that right now they are at daggers drawn. It's much better for this club when they are able to co-operate
  • Options
    Slaters predictions no getting away from it spot-on .10 out of 10.
    Charlton could well be in a worse position than this time last year with the amount of money that will have to be repayed back to person or persons unknown.
    Anything that comes to light since October2012 and gives Airman Brown a concern as a supporter is okay by me.
    Love to know Mr Slaters predictions as to where he will be and Charlton this time next season.
  • Options

I would point out, however, that various things I have posted on here over the last year - such as the fact that Varney and Kavanagh did not leave amicably (disputed here for many months), the Stephens transfer mess-up, Murray paying the wages, HMRC threatening the club, the new management structure advertised behind the senior staff's backs have all been verified subsequently, either elsewhere or by Richard Murray at Bromley last week.

Or could be interpreted as the owners, for once in all our lives, not rolling over and taking an offer from a top league club which is less than our valuation of the player. Time will tell if it was the right call, but at least they showed some balls.
  • Options
    I think AB has as much right to comment on the club as any other on here. The difference is he has a heightened understanding of the inner workings on the club than most (if not all) on here.
    So his view is going to be very different than most.
    I am all for AB having his opinion and putting what he knows across, as long as is doesn't get him and/or the club in a compromising position.
  • Options

Yes that is exactly it. I'm sorry AB but the one thing you can not be surprised about is that there is miss information, misunderstanding and mixed opinion on what has happened.

You will not actually tell us why you were sacked, or what the f is actually going on. Rumours thrive when there is piecemeal information and gaps in knowledge.

You know exactly how to remedy this. You have chosen not to. But the very least you can do is leave the sarcasm when people show their lack of understanding.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If I was in a position to buy the club, AB would be my first signing. I hope when the time comes that somebody does take us over, that we try to influence them in what ever way we can to do this. It is better to have him, a force of good (and what a force he has been) on the inside than bitter after feeling unfairly treated on the outside. I do recall having a little chuckle to myself when Target 10,000 was first muted!!!! Hard to believe when we are disapointed with 17,000 and after a real slump but it looked more like Mount Everest than a target at the time.
  • Options
    Asked Mr S for a prediction for next season. He said between 2nd & 17th.
    (Had a nice chat with him & his missus, both really nice people....except for the Man City thing).
  • Options

(Had a nice chat with him & his missus, both really nice people....except for the Man City thing).

That is hardly a prediction!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

That is hardly a prediction!
    Said he wasn't allowed to give out tips (inside information, etc.....) ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=604412176235519&set=a.604411422902261.1073741827.100000002259537&type=1&theater&notif_t=photo_comment

• Options
    Good snap MOG, I was on the next table to you I think. Hope Pritch got that contract signed up!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    DRF said:

Yes that is exactly it. I'm sorry AB but the one thing you can not be surprised about is that there is miss information, misunderstanding and mixed opinion on what has happened.

You will not actually tell us why you were sacked, or what the f is actually going on. Rumours thrive when there is piecemeal information and gaps in knowledge.

You know exactly how to remedy this. You have chosen not to. But the very least you can do is leave the sarcasm when people show their lack of understanding.
    I accept that up to a point, but given I've repeatedly made clear it is not about Charlton Life - according to the club - it's a bit tiresome that people keep implying it is or accusing me of things that I haven't done, especially when I know for a fact a principal source of the information that was appearing on here last summer was a member of the current board.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    What's Mel Smith doing with Mr Slater? Didn't know he was Charlton @miserableoldgit ;o)
  • Options
    Good post Rodders. This was boring a year ago, it's well into embarassing now. The hijack of every thread isn't doing anyone any good.
  • Options

So he's writing off the automatics already? well it's the hope that gets you!
  • Options
    edited May 2013

What has always irked me about this whole thing AB is if the club was in THAT much danger requiring action from fans then why so much cryptic tit bits and innuendo over the past year?

Surely if we were in that much danger any Charlton fan possessing knowledge would divulge it all warts n'all immediately and not cause the mass panic with all the bits and bobs here and there.

Sorry but it all just comes across as very bitter now. Anyone with any nous knows that businessmen, with no prior allegiances, who buy a club are just there for an ego trip with a view to making money and to do that you have to get the club in a more attractive position to either sell to others or reap the dosh in the premiership. Only other way is asset stripping and there is no evidence of that so far and no indication that is an intention. I dont think they would stomach the backlash it would create for starters.

You either act professionally and keep schtum or blow the whistle completely but snide comments and snippets of info here and there dont give the whole picture and put those not in the know into a mass panic.

Not meaning to be too personal but you aren't doing yourself any favours....if you have a legitimate gripe then I hope it all gets sorted out and you get compensated etc but this constant digging the board out is like a black cloud on every thread that expresses a modicum of gratitude or credit towards those who have continued to keep the club as a going concern for the past 2 years and who have put us in a better position than I could have forseen when we had lost our pride, league status and couldnt see an end to the demise.

On a factual basis as a joe average charlton supporter if i had never read anything on here last summer and since then apart from the millwall policing debacle where i (now very much regrettably) ranted against the board (only later to find out it was the incompetent and spineless plod's fault essentially) then there I can only see good things from the board since they took over. Everything else is just gossip, implication and speculation and very bias and one sided at that.

This is a thread congratulating Slater and the Board for what they have done since taking over. Like it or not we are in a better position on and off the pitch than before they turned up.

Without their money there is no club. It is easy to lose sight of that. If I was Slater and et al and had read some of the dog's abuse aimed towards them here and elsewhere over the past year then I'd have counted my losses and jacked it in instead of continuing to spend money in the vague hope of a takeover or promotion. I for one am grateful for the board's money and continued support of CP and the club. Yes in an ideal world they would have found the money to further strengthen the squad with x million and we'd be planning trips to Old Trafford next season but it hasnt worked out like that.

For me a joe average Charlton supporter, they and Richard Murray have continued to make the best of what was an appalling situation only two seasons ago.

If they decide to cut their losses and leave now then we would have something to really panic about.

And Jesus has let Tsunamis and famine happen.

Mostly you're spot on there old chap, excepting that sentence, I think you'll find that was his Dad! :-)

OMG I cant work the quote thingy and it spoiled my joke
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Keep up the good work AB, that's all I can say. I enjoy reading your posts and the insight you can provide, whilst it should be easy to understand why you can't divulge certain information.

There will be a point, whether it's missed transfers or a bad run, where people start to question the board again. The fact we've had this brilliant run with many of the stars being free transfers is testament to Mr Powell rather than anyone else.

That's not to say I'm not appreciative of the money that is being put into the club to keep us going, but there have been certain goings on that can't be forgotten. This transfer window is going to be very, very interesting, albeit potentially more enjoyable if a neutral.
  • Options
    Am I grateful for the board pumping in money to keep the club afloat yes.

Am I grateful for the board for backing Powell and not selling Solly et al last summer, yes.

Am I concerned about the lack of transparency from the board, yes .

Am I concerned about club stalwarts leaving the club (not just Airman), yes.

You don't have to have a black or white opinion on the board, it is ok to give some praise as well as vilifying them if you are in the anti board group and likewise those pro board supporters also need to realise there are justified concerns re some of theiir actions too.