Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Transfer Window Summer 2013 (Alnwick In, Green loan out, Stewart loan in)

Comments

• Options
    MattD said:

i dont think solly would want to go anywhere else but the prem if he had to leave.

What if they could offer him more money?
    Its not like he is a Charlton fan. Arsenal, like Jenks
    would be a sideways step, in a completely different area of the country. Middlesbrough isnt exactly Milan and he'd have to start all over again cementing his place getting accepted by the fans. Plus boro seem to be a club on the down, we're a club on the up. Would be a bad career move.
  • Options
    So Chris...a choice between miserable Mowbray or Inspirational Powell...you know where your 5' 3" is best suited!!

;-)
  • Options
    Tosan Popo is on the list, I didn't know he had been released?
  • Options

only last year! not sure what he done last summer, maybe non-league?
  • Options

according to his twitter he's only just got back from being in Orlando, FL for a while. Would explain Bover's move to the US as they're best buds.
  • Options
    I heard last night that Cort had been released and that next years players budget was being reduced.
  • Options
    Maybe they have just offered Cort and a few others lower wages than they are on now.

If they were letting him go why not annouce with the others last week?
  • Options

I heard last night that Cort had been released and that next years players budget was being reduced.

If next years playing budget is being reduced we can get our tickets for Milton Keynes now.

• Options

Surely they can't reduce the budget, that's madness
  • Options
    Can't see Cort being released anyway
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The person who told me has always been reliable before but there is always a first time I guess. Having been to the Bromley Addicks I did ask him whether Cort had just been told lower wages but he was adament that he was released. Does seem odd if true and not announed.
  • Options

Have heard this too
  • Options
    I thought cuts were being expected at most clubs due to financial fair play rules coming in. I think change is needed and players will have to be more sensible in their demands.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Surely they can't reduce the budget, that's madness
    If our turnover doesn't go up they won't have a choice.
  • Options
    mart77 said:

I thought cuts were being expected at most clubs due to financial fair play rules coming in. I think change is needed and players will have to be more sensible in their demands.

Spot on.

• Options
    Permission to slit my wrists now Captain Manwaring. Seriously though. If our playing budget it to be reduced its hard to see us being able to push on which sadly means another year of a £7 million loss for the owners and little prospect of getting out of the division in the right direction. Can't see the logic of it all tbh but if there's no money then there's no money.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Classic post season rumours.

A few weeks ago we had plans for a clearout and to sign 10 players. Latest is the budget has been cut and we'll presumably replace our squad players with mixture of cheap signings and our U21s.

Just like 2 years ago - we had a similar budget to Rochdale but we also apparently had seriously rich owners that were going to invest in the club.

Either way I'm sure Powell will handle it well. Just don't expect too much too soon if we're replacing the likes of Cort with cheap players with potential, whether they're new signings or our own young players.
  • Options
    Last time we had a reduced budget we won the league with a record points total same again please
  • Options
    Could well mean that we will operate with a smaller squad of players and supplement with promising U21's.

I don't see this as asking all players to take drastic wage cuts.
  • Options
    Well with Fuller being on an alleged 15k a week, plus the wages of Wagstaff and Sullivan we must already be saving 80k a month. Probably add 3 or 4 other medium earners such as Green to this and we'll see a fairly big reduction in the wage bill. If we bring through some of the U21s alongside a few signings we should see a saving?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At the end of the day , there is 3-6 players who will need to be replaced - whether they are expensive or not , Powell will get what he thinks best
  • Options
    we have a large squad and it needs reducing if we are to bring in one or two quality players. Money still seems to be a problem at CAFC .. lack of it that is
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

mart77 said:

Spot on.

I suspect a lot of clubs and players would be in the same position. The former need to get their finances on track & the latter are going to have to realise, with their agents, that there's no bottomless purse anymore. That's certainly not a dig at Cort here...it's something all players will, at last, have to get used to.

Good write up here on the FFP rules...

http://www.danielgeey.com/my-top-ten-tips-for-understanding-football-league-financial-fair-play/
  • Options
    If you sign somebody it makes financial sense to do it later rather than earlier to reduce the summer wage bill, the risk is you lose a target whilst you wait.
    If we are forced to reduce the player budget it seems obvious that U21 and Youth players would have to be moved up the pecking order internally, which to me makes sense anyway, otherwise why have a reserve/academy structure at all?
    Of course player budgets could also be reduced if clubs don't pay crippling wages, squeezed out of them by the agents and whatnot. Looking at the PFA list of released players presumably wanting work, maybe they have a choice of reducing their demands (which for that list may be decently modest anyway), or giving up playing.
  • Options
    Bit worried Chris Powell is in the Sky Sports studio today, with a blue tie on, hopefully not on his way to Leicester?
  • Options
    Or Everton, or even Millwall!
  • Options
    Chrissy loves this club some forget that at times, he won't be off to Leicester
  • Options
    I don't know if the player's budget will be reduced or not - but we have a number of talented reserve team players coming through and while I doubt they'll be guaranteed starters they should be good enough to fill in for a few matches here and there or occupy a spot on the bench.
  • Options

I don't know if the player's budget will be reduced or not - but we have a number of talented reserve team players coming through and while I doubt they'll be guaranteed starters they should be good enough to fill in for a few matches here and there or occupy a spot on the bench.

I think that's very true but isn't the real issue whether or not we are looking for further seasons of Championship consolidation which bye the way is fine by me or whether there is a real plan to get us closer season on season to the playoffs ? Not taking anything away from what SCP did last season but several of our key players are not getting any younger and although not too far off I don't see us as serious playoff contenders with what we have plus a few youngsters filling the gaps. What will be will be but a reduced budget will not see us progress.

• Options
    We won't get playoffs next season
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!