Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Transfer Window Summer 2013 (Alnwick In, Green loan out, Stewart loan in)

Comments

• sam3110 said:

I see arsenal bid 30m for Suarez, they are spending their money 3 years late, imagine the squad they would have now if fabregas, song, clichy, nasri and van persie had stayed and they bought the likes of Suarez, Higuain on top of that

30 mill bid is purely tactical to get Real to make up their mind on Higuain as they want Suarez themselves.
    Agreed. Plus they wouldn't have this cash without selling those players. Knowing Arsenal they'll end up without Higuian or Suarez.
    According to quotes in the Independent, the RM president has said they've not received a bid from Ars*nal for Higuain.

• Benteke hands in transfer request....not really surprised by that
  • This maybe old news, but read on a spanner friends FB that Nicky Bailey has signed for them.
  • Hull have pulled out of a £4.5m deal to sign Charlie Austin after he failed a medical. For the same price they could have signed David Villa (theoretically!) who has just moved to Atletico Madrid.

And Palace signed Dwight Gale for £8.5m!!!!!!!
  • edited July 2013
    Sure, Dwight Gayle cost more than David Villa, but he's younger, home-grown and probably on a tenth of the wages, and much more likely to sign for someone like Palarse
  • JohnBoyUK said:

sam3110 said:

I see arsenal bid 30m for Suarez, they are spending their money 3 years late, imagine the squad they would have now if fabregas, song, clichy, nasri and van persie had stayed and they bought the likes of Suarez, Higuain on top of that

30 mill bid is purely tactical to get Real to make up their mind on Higuain as they want Suarez themselves.
    Agreed. Plus they wouldn't have this cash without selling those players. Knowing Arsenal they'll end up without Higuian or Suarez.
    According to quotes in the Independent, the RM president has said they've not received a bid from Ars*nal for Higuain.

Saw that too. A lot of games going on there I reckon. I don't think Real are the best club to deal with or 'mob' as Fergie once called them.
  • sam3110 said:

Sure, Dwight Gayle cost more than David Villa, but he's younger, home-grown and probably on a tenth of the wages, and much more likely to sign for someone like Palarse

Joke. Palace throwing their money away though so can't complain!
  • 8.5 bloody hell that's a lot for someone who has had one decent season in the championship.
  • Tom Ince to Cardiff.....really? Think I'd wait if I was him. Another good season in the Champ and he'll do better, can see them struggling this year.
  • Nug said:

Tom Ince to Cardiff.....really? Think I'd wait if I was him. Another good season in the Champ and he'll do better, can see them struggling this year.

He should leave now. Blackpool were awful last year and won't be any better next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nicholas said:

8.5 bloody hell that's a lot for someone who has had one decent season in the championship.

That is the maximum fee payable. They have paid about 3m upfront.

• FR

Charlton looking at Luke Moore or Sam baldock with obika also coming in. Charlton also looking to bolster there midfield with Stephen gleeson a target

Luke Moore's strike rate isn't up to much: 36 in 237 apps. He suffered a serious shoulder injury in 2006 that required surgery in the States.

• edited July 2013
    Palace have paid nothing like 8.5m, like others have said it's 3m upfront. If they end up paying 6m+ itll be because he has been a great success, and so they'll be happy to pay it.
  • Interesting interview with Powell on the OS this morning, stressing the need for new players and especially strikers. He's making his feelings heard.
  • Interesting interview with Powell on the OS this morning, stressing the need for new players and especially strikers. He's making his feelings heard.

If the purse string holders don't realise that already then we are up somewhere without a paddle. I was rather hoping that deals were being done but by the sounds of it not.

• “Of course you want new players. Fans want to come to Welling and see three or four new signings and I am no different,” he said.

“That is what I want to see because I lost a number of players. It is an on-going process and I want it to happen sooner rather than later.

“I am certain we will get there with some players to add to us because I want to build on what we did last year. I think that is the only way forward. If it can’t happen then I will make sure the players I have got will be right.

“I have said to the players to go out there, give it your best shot and show me and others what you can do. That may save us money, or stop us from spending money we haven’t got.

“You could have an argument that Joe Pigott has done that [against Welling], but there is a long way to go. He is a young lad who hasn’t had a taste of the Championship, but these are my players.

“They will be able to show me at different times during pre-season, and hopefully during the season, that they are ready to play a part.”

When further probed about possible incomings, the name of former Addicks loanee Jon Obika was greeted with a positive response from Powell.

While he maintains an interest in snaring the Tottenham Hotspur striker on a permanent basis, the Charlton Manager says bolstering his striking arsenal in general is high on his list of priorities.

“We will see with Jon. We can’t really see him affecting Spurs’ first team,” said Powell.

“He is a player that we really liked. He did tremendously well and the fans took to him. He may be a player that could possibly wear the red of Charlton again. I would like it to happen, but we’ll wait and see.”

He added: “I lost seven or eight players last year and ideally I would like to get five or six in. We may have to trim the squad somewhat, but that will be supplemented by maybe one or two younger ones.

“We turned Mark Gower’s loan into a permanent move, but I still want more. We lost four strikers, three permanently and one who was on loan, and we can’t go into the season with only one recognised striker at Championship level. That is an area I’ll be looking at.”
  • We lost four strikers, three permanently and one who was on loan, and we can’t go into the season with only one recognised striker at Championship level. That is an area I’ll be looking at.”

Good point by Powell.

Amazed that no one on Charlton Life had noticed or commented on this before.

: - )
  • I have gone back and looked at dates of transfers last year and today was the first day we signed anyone which was Wilson. List below if anyone is interested.

9/7 - Wilson
    10/7 - Cook
    2/8 - Kerkar
    22/8 - Fuller
    29/8 - Button
  • I suppose though the interesting point in terms of a direct time comparison is the season starts a week earlier this year.
  • but last year we had a settled squad and only needed to add a bit of quality (Fuller) - this year is a bit like the year before (but not so bad) and then we were adding players every day it seemed.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2013

but last year we had a settled squad and only needed to add a bit of quality (Fuller) - this year is a bit like the year before (but not so bad) and then we were adding players every day it seemed.

but the year before we were in L1 and just sold Jenkinson to Arsenal. CP has to be a lot more careful and picky this time.
  • but last year we had a settled squad and only needed to add a bit of quality (Fuller) - this year is a bit like the year before (but not so bad) and then we were adding players every day it seemed.

Can't really agree with that. I would say we've a good steady basis for moving forward this time with pretty good cover across the back and the middle (as long as no one leaves...) - really only short up front - as we all know. Think, given financial constraints and player demands, we are simply waiting it out until later in the month when player demands may drop a bit...

10 of the starting 11 that finished the season so strongly are still there, we have 2 decent reserve keepers, reasonable defensive cover (if you include youngsters covering at LB and RB) plus Wood at CB possibly, and still have the likes of Hughes, Wilson, Green, Stephens, Hollands in the squad for midfield cover.

Hamer
    Solly
    Wiggins
    Dervite
    Morrison
    Harriott
    Jackson
    Gower
    Pritchard
    Kermorgant
    ANO

It's only up front where we HAVE to strengthen...
  • We may have to wait and hope for a loanee or two as forwards. If that happens, and the Wiggins/Evina mystery is revealed, and we have moderate good fortune on injuries, then we may be ok with the younger player trying to get a place in the first team. Yes it is tough, but it may be the reality.
    We may sell the wonderful Chris Solly for the kind of money prem teams can throw about, keep half for debt servicing, and maybe have a couple of million to strengthen the team.
  • Barnsley just missed out on Michael Higdon. They spoke to him yesterday just before he had a medical at NEC.
  • it dosnt matter that i know 100% we are pot-less and will be lucky enough to scrape loose change to gether in order to get left over loans after everyone else's feeding frenzy ---i know it ---but i also know im still going to feel disappointed that we dont sign a known "name".

Obika was ok last year but even getting him seems to be a stretch
  • right, OK
  • Surely Obika playing tonight is a positive sign, hopefully close to signing.
  • Paolo47 said:

Surely Obika playing tonight is a positive sign, hopefully close to signing.

Lets hope you are right :-(

• Paolo47 said:

Surely Obika playing tonight is a positive sign, hopefully close to signing.

Playing for who?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!