Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"Extreme weather conditions" (ed. Feb 14 Floody Hell)

edited February 2014 in Not Sports Related
My kids school have cancelled their "inflatable day" at short notice today, due to the "extreme weather conditions".

It's a bit windy.

Let down.

Comments

• Options
    Inflatable day + cancelled = let down
  • Options
    I think you are blowing this out of all proportions.
  • Options
    I would feel really deflated!
  • Options

If it's bouncy castles and that sort of thing, they are probably erring on the side of caution after something like that blew over and injured (from memory) a few people recently.

• Options
    To be fair 'wind' doesn't get the recognition it deserves.
  • Options
    Tried hiring bouncy castle other week and was told would be 100 quid. I said to the fella it was 75 quid last year and he said 'that's inflation' for you.
  • Options
    Someone died, but in the H&S world it was an isolated incident and PC gone mad. Legal lack of common sense is destroying people's experinces.
  • Options
  • Options
    Poor Offy, he's blown away by that decision. Not trying to WIND you up mate, I promise.
  • Options
    Well it's because of incidents like this:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1130702/Two-died-inflatable-maze-broke-free-inventor-grossly-negligent.html
    And let's face it, if Offies kid (or anyone else's) was injured I'm sure that there would be plenty of criticism of the organisers. And if you were an organiser you wouldn't want to have PC Plod tapping you on the shoulder, so it's not surprising that they play safe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know what you mean legal, but if it's organised properly and all of the right measures are taken then there isn't a problem. I wasn't even that windy today. The fella in that story was clearly a berk!

What next, they cancel all school trips because that would involve getting on a coach and they are worried in case the coach driver is negligent or falls asleep at the wheel?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Gusts are usually double the average wind speed...this can be times three or four in heavy showers. I'm guessing the company know this.
  • Options
    The leaving of HMS Illustrious was cancelled today due to high winds.
  • Options
    Not safe to go through the Barrier was the problem, might not leave tomorrow either if the forecast is bad
  • Options

The leaving of HMS Illustrious was cancelled today due to high winds.

"High winds" is a reasonable excuse. "Extreme weather conditions" should be reserved for shit like hurricanes - not a bit of wind or rain.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Not safe to go through the Barrier was the problem, might not leave tomorrow either if the forecast is bad

Lucky there's not a war on then.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Rothko said:

Lucky there's not a war on then.
    Unfortunately I don't think Illustrious would be much cop in a ding dong. It's got a ski ramp, but no planes. I wouldn't fancy going into battle in a sea king!
  • Options
    Why do some people persist with this notion of man made climate change and global warming? Last week some organisation was saying that some geese no longer come here because of our warmer winters. Where do they get this idea from, where have these people been for the last few years? We've just had one of the coldest, longest winters on record so how can they say that.

A few years ago the global warming fanatics said that we would have hot dry summers and mild wet winters, but the last few years have been the exact opposite.

I was reading a report recently, can't remember where, but it said there has been no appreciable change in the world's temperature for the last 20 years. We continue to spend millions on subsidising green energy and covering the country with wind turbines that are useless in high winds, as well as when there is no wind. How much longer can they get away with this man made climate change myth? Climate has changed since the earth formed without the intervention of man and we now seem to be getting colder again. I've had my heating on again tonight and snow is forecast for some areas tomorrow and we're half way through May.

Too many politicians have a vested interest in green energy and it is time it stopped.
  • Options

Why do some people persist with this notion of man made climate change and global warming? Last week some organisation was saying that some geese no longer come here because of our warmer winters. Where do they get this idea from, where have these people been for the last few years? We've just had one of the coldest, longest winters on record so how can they say that.

A few years ago the global warming fanatics said that we would have hot dry summers and mild wet winters, but the last few years have been the exact opposite.

I was reading a report recently, can't remember where, but it said there has been no appreciable change in the world's temperature for the last 20 years. We continue to spend millions on subsidising green energy and covering the country with wind turbines that are useless in high winds, as well as when there is no wind. How much longer can they get away with this man made climate change myth? Climate has changed since the earth formed without the intervention of man and we now seem to be getting colder again. I've had my heating on again tonight and snow is forecast for some areas tomorrow and we're half way through May.

Too many politicians have a vested interest in green energy and it is time it stopped.

Well said.

There was more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere in the Middle Ages than there is now yet the eco fascists want to price decent ordinary people off of the road thus curtailing freedom of movement.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Well said.

There was more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere in the Middle Ages than there is now yet the eco fascists want to price decent ordinary people off of the road thus curtailing freedom of movement.
    The few studies that reject the notion of man made climate change were funded by either oil or coal companies or by members of society with vested interests in carbon based industries.

Even if you think it's a load of rubbish anyways, we will still run out of oil in the near future so it's best to wean ourselves off it as soon as possible. Nuclear fusion and hydrogen are the way forward in the long run.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    An expert was on the BBC at the weekend and said there is plenty of oil and gas to last a very long time, more than enough to last the lifetime of those of us on the planet now.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

An expert was on the BBC at the weekend and said there is plenty of oil and gas to last a very long time, more than enough to last the lifetime of those of us on the planet now.

400 years worth of oil in Venezuela at current consumption.

Edit: 300,000,000,000 barrels is a conservative estimate, which eclipses Saudi Arabia.

• Options
    so just about enough to keep Andy Hughes joints working for next season.
  • Options
    The big question is...I'm getting married in Devon on Saturday week.....what is the likely weather forecast?!
  • Options
    The organisations that still perpetuate the 'man made climate change' theory have a vested interest in keeping it going, so that they continue to receive the vast sums of money given to them at the ordinary consumer's expense.
  • Options
    Even the supposedly impartial BBC has an interest in perpetuating man made climate change:

http://biasedbbc.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=hotair&action=display&thread=897

Also the Coalition:

http://www.greenguidespain.com/andalucia/2010/06/la-clegg-breezes-into-windy-role/
  • Options
    We think we live in a free country but it is just as corrupt as many others.
  • Options
    Snow predicted here (Herefordshire) tonight.