Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Erhun Oztumer (pg.24 on loan to Bristol Rovers)

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2020

Don't recall him making any appearances for us since lockdown.

is he injured or just extremely out of favour?

• Options
    I can't see him being here next season whichever league we are in
  • Options

Don't recall him making any appearances for us since lockdown.

is he injured or just extremely out of favour?

No, he hasn’t played. Think he was on the bench for Hull or QPR game. 
  • Options
    A good, technical player that just hasn't quite been on the same wavelength as other players earlier on in the season
  • Options
    For me his size does count against him in this division. In the games I've seen, he's been eased off the ball too easily as the average Championship player is bigger and quicker than their League One counterpart, where he would still be useful. A shame, as was excited when we signed him.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Bowyer visibly gave up on him after Huddersfield away - subbed him off at half-time, blamed him for some stuff he could easily have blamed others for, and hasn't had him near the field since. Was harsh imo
    Dodgy fitness in terms of not lasting games but he’s not alone there.  He’s a technically good footballer in a team that lacks in that quality. 
  • Options
    Bowyer and mercurial technical players is an uneasy match at the best of times and it's one of our great leader's truest failings that he can't seem to find space for outrageous talent
  • Options
    (unless that outrageous talent is also a Championship-quality centre back)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    You admire Pearce at last
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    You admire Pearce at last
    I've defended him from CL's wrath several times this season!
  • Options
  • Options
    I'd have Oztumer ahead of McGeady, unless McGeady is training better, so far neither are fit to clean Williams' boots. 
  • Options
    is he out of contract? If so then I agree. Not good enough in my opinion.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Ozzie was unplayable against Forest at home. Never really been given a chance this season in my opinion.
    One game wonder.
  • Options
    Hopefully we're in a position to sign players whatever league we're in, otherwise we may regret if we let him and others go. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Bowyer and mercurial technical players is an uneasy match at the best of times and it's one of our great leader's truest failings that he can't seem to find space for outrageous talent
    Outrageous talent? Sarr is comfortable at this level, Oztumer has found it harder. Good League 1 attacking midfielder for me.
  • Options
    I thought he still had another year left?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d5662cc2ca3a/done-deal-charlton-complete-signing-of-erhun-oztumer

He signed a 2 year deal, if we go down I’d expect him to be involved a lot more in League 1.
    Cheers, had forgotten. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Ozzie was unplayable against Forest at home. Never really been given a chance this season in my opinion.
    One game wonder.
    I think it was nearer to 45 minutes.

In the modern game, you have to be an athlete as well as a footballer (some even make it to the top just by being an athlete).

Oztumer is seriously disadvantaged physically.  He needs a minder to perform at his best.  We don't have such a player ... and putting Oztumer into a midfield with Cullen is asking for trouble.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Bowyer visibly gave up on him after Huddersfield away - subbed him off at half-time, blamed him for some stuff he could easily have blamed others for, and hasn't had him near the field since. Was harsh imo
    There will be a gameplan and a player will have specific roles within that. It seems to me, that Bowyer will hook a player that's not playing his role to instructions, on and off the ball.

Agree with those who have said Ozzie's a good technical player and could at least be on a 9-man bench. I mean, look at the Brentford game - we subbed off Field and Williams with 30 plus minutes to go and after couldn't create and keep possession. And it cost us the game.

Surely, despite the emergence of Morgan, Oztumer was brought in to rotate with Williams, in order to keep the same gameplan?

Especially for games now when the ageing McGeady needs resting.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Outrageous talent? Sarr is comfortable at this level, Oztumer has found it harder. Good League 1 attacking midfielder for me.
    Oztumer is an outrageous talent. I know it was non league, but I’ve never seen some one so outrageously on his own plane of talent when he was at dulwich hamlet. There’s a lot of good footballers at that level who simply won’t or didn’t make it for various reasons, sometimes not because of lack of ability. Oztumer was messi like at that level, he was so good. He lacks some obvious physical attributes that mean he’ll never quite take it to the highest level. But he is seriously talented with a football.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:
    There will be a gameplan and a player will have specific roles within that. It seems to me, that Bowyer will hook a player that's not playing his role to instructions, on and off the ball.

Agree with those who have said Ozzie's a good technical player and could at least be on a 9-man bench. I mean, look at the Brentford game - we subbed off Field and Williams with 30 plus minutes to go and after couldn't create and keep possession. And it cost us the game.

Surely, despite the emergence of Morgan, Oztumer was brought in to rotate with Williams, in order to keep the same gameplan?

Especially for games now when the ageing McGeady needs resting to be driven back to Sunderland. 

• Options
    is he out of contract? If so then I agree. Not good enough in my opinion.
    seems he is signed up until summer 2021 .. so we are stuck with him. I can't see there being a big queue of clubs eager to pay for his services
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Oztumer is an outrageous talent. I know it was non league, but I’ve never seen some one so outrageously on his own plane of talent when he was at dulwich hamlet. There’s a lot of good footballers at that level who simply won’t or didn’t make it for various reasons, sometimes not because of lack of ability. Oztumer was messi like at that level, he was so good. He lacks some obvious physical attributes that mean he’ll never quite take it to the highest level. But he is seriously talented with a football.
    He had 2 brilliant seasons with Walsall in L1, 15 league goals a season, yet has struggled since then in the Championship