Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The people of Woolwich

Comments

• Options

Same as Big Rob for me born in the mothers abd babies, lived in samuel street until we moved to bloomfield rd

Went to school at st marys in john wilson street

I loved living in woolwich i loved the market i loved the sq

I moved away when i was 18 cos i had to but when i get out of the blackwall and get on the road to woolwich i feel like i am really home

Your home is where your heart is not who the people that reside there

Woolwich may be a shit hole to some of you but its my shit hole

I think thats the sad part about it NLA, everyone born and brought up in Woolwich say, before the nineties ,had a moral soul and a character about them brought about by years of living in a town where it was tough, but the people WERE good. Now look at it.
    Yet, its now the shit hole is caused by people who dont/never have lived there - and that unique moral fibre(and it did have a unique fibre/toughness/togetherness about it) is gone forever. Now, i'm proud of having been born and brought up in Woolwich - its my heritage - but boy, do i want to go near there now - no way .
  • Options

Woolwich may be a shit hole to some of you but its my shit hole

Are you saying that you've named your own Ass `Woolwich'?

• Options
    I must be mad because i would move back there in a heart beat

I miss sth london terribly i have a good life here my kids go to good schools

But i miss the place its only because the wife wont move that i havent come back

In the 80s the skin heads and blacks fought in the street near where argos is now

In the 90s there was a saying black and white stop on sight and the OB regularly stopped me and and my pal danny because we were black and white

But during that time racial tensions were high

As i got a bit older there was a group of sikhs who used to drive rd in a white van looking for groups of white kids to find

They found us and come unstuck as a certain couple of soon to be cage fighters were with us

My point is that through adversity and years we have all lived together and always faced tensions

Yes i accept the walpole estate and barnfield gardens bear no resemblance to what i knew back then

But on the estate where i grew up and still visit reg to see my mum

The little kids are doing the same as we did playing out together black and white muslim sikh they are the future

Weds that changed we all need to ensure it doesnt change for ever

Dont turn your backs on the old town please it needs you now more than ever

These people cant win
  • Options
    Pres / RZA, seeing as you are posting outside the area and previously banned with names suggesting you lived in Portsmouth an South Africa, how long ago was it when you last lived in woolwich ?

And can you let me know which of the two user names you keep quoting and agreeing with each other you want to keep, and want to drop. Cheers
  • Options

Pres / RZA, seeing as you are posting outside the area and previously banned with names suggesting you lived in Portsmouth an South Africa, how long ago was it when you last lived in woolwich ?

And can you let me know which of the two user names you keep quoting and agreeing with each other you want to keep, and want to drop. Cheers

AFKA - there is no connection with RZA whatsoever - dunno where you got that from.

If you want the personal cv, I was born and brought up in Woolwich /Plumstead (Herbert Road) - moved out early 80's - however was a regular visitor back to see my Mum til she sadly passed away last year, Yep, i did live in SA for a few years during 00's and am now living in Port Solent,Hampshire.

However, got no idea where you got the connection between RZA and myself.

Do i pass?
  • Options

Priceless. Pity the subject matter of the thread is so serious.

• Options
    Areas change and some people can't handle it. The idea that Woolwich was this wonderful place back in the past is a bit of a joke - it's always had problems.
    It's easy to look back at the past with rose-tinted specs on. I get tired with people slagging the place off now often with slightly racist overtones.
    SE London is my home and I don't intend to leave.

• Options
    Even living in slade green Woolwich was where we always headed for as kids.Bexleyheath was rubbish back then and woolwich always had the best shops even if we did bypass the till sometimes.Also mcdonalds was about the only one about at that time.first one around i think.great memories of the place.hopefully it can bounce back from another massive set back.
  • Options
    Benty you are bang on pal

It was a great place to grow up as it made you street wise as well as grounded

The barracks to me symbolises woolwich a place of strength history and resolve very proud building over looking the town

But that building has over the years been attacked and used in the wrong way survived the government trying to sell it and turn it into houses its a wonderful place woolwich and that aint changed its just like the rest of london its moved on with the seas of time
  • Options

Areas change and some people can't handle it. The idea that Woolwich was this wonderful place back in the past is a bit of a joke - it's always had problems.
    It's easy to look back at the past with rose-tinted specs on. I get tired with people slagging the place off now often with slightly racist overtones.

Agree 100%.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Agree with this. I remember my mate teaching me the 'don't mess with me' walk so that I wouldn't have trouble visiting him on the Connaught Estate. A man was also murdered in the same block of flats where my wife (then girlfriend) lived.
    As for change you are spot on. Sure the area changed from the eighties to the present, but it had also changed from the fifties to the eighties, and the twenties to the fifties. It is called progress.
  • Options
    Strange thing pride. Amazing how many people are proud of something they had absolutely no control over. Proud to be from Woolwhich, Proud to be black, gay, etc etc.
    The woman who stood up to these murderers should be proud. But the rest should start to try and do or achieve something which will then give them the right to use the word properly.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Strange thing pride. Amazing how many people are proud of something they had absolutely no control over. Proud to be from Woolwhich, Proud to be black, gay, etc etc.
    The woman who stood up to these murderers should be proud. But the rest should start to try and do or achieve something which will then give them the right to use the word properly.

I wont bite

• Options
    I used to go to "Woolwich at home" a weekend event put on by the Army, complete with zip wires, obstacle coarses, tanks to crawl all over and soldiers who genuinely enjoyed showing people around all the events......the army motorbike display team was brilliant on their Triumph Tiger cubs too.......slag the place off all you like, but it's where I think of as home......born at the Mothers and Babies Hospital, bastard son of a Squaddie, Lived on the corner of Francis St and Ogilbey St, I'm a Woolwich boy.
  • Options
    we used to go to that Tel

and when it was wet and cold off to the rotunda with mum dad nan and granddad to pass the day

and I am very proud of it and my roots as I am of my football club so you don't have to achieve anything to feel pride
  • Options

hahaha. busted.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    For much of he 80's, 90's and early part of this century Woolwich was in decline but that has completely changed now. The riverfront developments and revamp of the town centre and most importantly DLR and Cross Rail have turned Woolwich into a vibrant, diverse and even desirable place to live where house prices for such a location are still on the side of sanity. It's on the up.
  • Options
    There is an event at the barracks on 29th June a family day. Ill find the link later.

Also it was announced last month that the queen is booked to visit the barracks next Friday. I assume she will still be coming. I expect a big crowd to turn out for the Queen as half term. Tho I haven't seen it mentioned much.
  • Options

Yep, this.
  • Options
    I'm planning on travelling through Woolwich later by bus en route to my cricket match - is there going to be much disruption?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

hahaha. busted.
    And you havnt read all the posts before posting !
  • Options

Oh gawd, the racism police have crept out again.How sad.
    Is that you RZA?

What was the user name you had on here before when you were banned? Portsmouth addick? Must be hard remembering who you are?
  • Options

we used to go to that Tel

and when it was wet and cold off to the rotunda with mum dad nan and granddad to pass the day

and I am very proud of it and my roots as I am of my football club so you don't have to achieve anything to feel pride

Wow, The Rotunda - memories. I remember me and my brother digging up a knife in our garden and taking to the 'expert' at the Rotunda, with us thinking it was from the Boer war or something only for him to tell us it was something you could buy at the local hardware shop for a couple of bob.We were so disheartened.
  • Options

Oh gawd, the racism police have crept out again.How sad.
    To be honest compairing Woolwich/London to a city in the Middle East probably would make some people feel inclined to feel that way.
  • Options
    There is pride of association (I'm proud of my country/area/family/athletes) and pride of achievement (I'm proud I did this or I contributed or participated in that).

One maybe passive and one active but both are valid, imho.
  • Options
    There's one thing that no one has mentioned. The murder took place in Woolwich, but the reason appears to be because they were looking for a soldier. There are barracks in the West End I believe. It possibly could have happened in a "posh" place just as easily. I don't necessarily think that the murder occuring in Woolwich is as crucial as the tone of this thread suggests.
  • Options
    Just come back from Tesco Woolwich. Picked up flowers and a card. There was a Chelsea Pensioner there so i said thanks shook his hand. He wanted to chat but i said sorry have to go----welled up,very misty eyed ----55 years old ---cant explain it. Would be more at home with the anger.
  • Options
    Woolwich has always been one of the poorest areas of London, in the 18/19 centuries it was known as the dustbowl.
    The Greenwich heritage centre opposite Firepower has lots on interesting stuff on the history.
  • Options
    Its a proper town in a great city always has been always will be
  • Options

Woolwich has always been one of the poorest areas of London, in the 18/19 centuries it was known as the dustbowl.
    The Greenwich heritage centre opposite Firepower has lots on interesting stuff on the history.

My dad's mothers family were from the "dusthole" part of woolwich.

As he told it it was the poorest of the poor and the police only went in their if they had to and then in pairs.

Fights involving soldiers, sailors and locals were common place.

Serious "racial" incidents about 100 years ago but it was German then.

And was very badly hit it 1880s by dock closures. Lots of unemployment.

And for all the " twonks" it was very left wing too. First Labour MP in england was elected by Woolwich.