Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The people of Woolwich

Comments

• Options

For much of he 80's, 90's and early part of this century Woolwich was in decline but that has completely changed now. The riverfront developments and revamp of the town centre and most importantly DLR and Cross Rail have turned Woolwich into a vibrant, diverse and even desirable place to live where house prices for such a location are still on the side of sanity. It's on the up.

Its great that DLR and now crossrail are coming to woolwich ,but the housing situation for local people is dire.The luxury flats will do a lot to smarten the area up but are so far out of reach of local folk its not going to help much.
  • Options

Woolwich has always been one of the poorest areas of London, in the 18/19 centuries it was known as the dustbowl.
    The Greenwich heritage centre opposite Firepower has lots on interesting stuff on the history.

My dad's mothers family were from the "dusthole" part of woolwich.

As he told it it was the poorest of the poor and the police only went in their if they had to and then in pairs.

Fights involving soldiers, sailors and locals were common place.

Serious "racial" incidents about 100 years ago but it was German then.

And was very badly hit it 1880s by dock closures. Lots of unemployment.

And for all the " twonks" it was very left wing too. First Labour MP in england was elected by Woolwich.
    Wonder what they'd think of the Labour Party as we know it now and over the last 15-20 years? Not much I should think
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    BIG_ROB said:

Woolwich has always been one of the poorest areas of London, in the 18/19 centuries it was known as the dustbowl.
    The Greenwich heritage centre opposite Firepower has lots on interesting stuff on the history.

As he told it it was the poorest of the poor and the police only went in their if they had to and then in pairs.

And for all the " twonks" it was very left wing too. First Labour MP in england was elected by Woolwich.
    Wonder what they'd think of the Labour Party as we know it now and over the last 15-20 years? Not much I should think
    They probably wouldn't think much of them at all, but still about the only party that would speak up for the working classes.
  • Options
    Sorry, my fault for bringing in the political history.

Let's leave it now. We can do labour/tory etc anytime but just maybe not here.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yeah agree. Fair dos
  • Options

For much of he 80's, 90's and early part of this century Woolwich was in decline but that has completely changed now. The riverfront developments and revamp of the town centre and most importantly DLR and Cross Rail have turned Woolwich into a vibrant, diverse and even desirable place to live where house prices for such a location are still on the side of sanity. It's on the up.

Its great that DLR and now crossrail are coming to woolwich ,but the housing situation for local people is dire.The luxury flats will do a lot to smarten the area up but are so far out of reach of local folk its not going to help much.
    You can buy a two bedroom terraced house in SE18 postcode for £170,000. Not many places within a 15 minute journey to Canary Wharf can say that.

• Options
    I was interested in the many insightful observations on Woolwich, its past strengths and current problems. Back to Vincent's original ideas when he kicked off this thread, I especially like the idea of inviting the very brave woman who confronted the murderers to The Valley as guest of honour.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'd move back to Woolwich tomorrow if I could. Keep making plans, keep getting them scuppered. I was more sorry and angry in a way I haven't been about anything on the news for ages about this incident and I know the people of Woolwich are not all going to turn into racists or Jihaddists overnight because of it. My experience of the area from when I used to live a couple of miles away was that it was a lively thriving place where people took change and worked with it to keep their livelihoods and communities going, and where the differences caused occasional friction, but mostly were less important than the similarities. The poor lad, and his poor family and the poor people of Woolwich who have to absorb this event somehow.

And as for anyone trying to make political points on the back of it, shame on you.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Good point well made by Vincent in the original post, that people are coming together in the aftermath of this tragic event. Praying that this weekend goes past without incident, and people are respectful.

Shame that some people wanted to hijack this thread with their opinions on the area. If this tragic event had occurred in Salisbury, Colchester or Canterbury would people be slagging off them towns/cities?

The original post was about how people are coming together, not scoring points on an area where they no longer live.

• Options
    shirty5 said:

Good point well made by Vincent in the original post, that people are coming together in the aftermath of this tragic event. Praying that this weekend goes past without incident, and people are respectful.

Shame that some people wanted to hijack this thread with their opinions on the area. If this tragic event had occurred in Salisbury, Colchester or Canterbury would people be slagging off them towns/cities?

The original post was about how people are coming together, not scoring points on an area where they no longer live.

I weren't trying to score any points. When people ask me where I'm from I say Charlton and get a blank look so then say Woolwich. I was also remembering the place as I knew it growing up and describing the place as I see it now. No offence intended mate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Agree with you as well. Wouldn't feel safe walking through Woolwich on my own of a night time. Place is, in the main, a dodgy dump. Bexleyheath is slowly becoming like it...the pound shops are a massive giveaway.

Sadly, Dartford too VG .

It's my town & have lived nowhere else in my 65 years but I never shop there anymore...so depressing.

• Options
    By the sounds of it there will loads of people from the local areas of SE London all paying their respects tomorrow.
  • Options

Henry Was that the area that used to be called Rope Yard Rails behind Beresford Street ?

• Options
    Why tomorrow? I drove past earlier and a steady stream of people heading there.

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Why tomorrow? I drove past earlier and a steady stream of people heading there.

I think he means people like SE9
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    There's an organised thing tomorrow
  • Options
    More Dusthole stuff

And people slag off Woolwich NOW : - )

http://writingwomenshistory.blogspot.com/2010/07/girls-of-woolwich-dusthole.html?m=1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I didn't realise Woolwich was quite as bad as that. The Dusthole sounds almost as bad a place as the infamous "Rookery"
  • Options

You can buy a two bedroom terraced house in SE18 postcode for £170,000. Not many places within a 15 minute journey to Canary Wharf can say that.

That's because Woolwich is a shithole full with a large number of undesirable people, and for those that disagree, how many of you would feel safe walking around it night?

• Options
    Sadly, I have to agree with Robbo On The Wing. I was born in Woolwich and have worked here on and off since 1993. I currently work on the market.
    The majority of property owners on the Arsenal estate never shop in the town and why would they given the choice (lack of) of shops.
    However people dress it up, there ARE a lot of undesirables in town at night.

When I saw the police helicopter, then the air ambulance landing on Wednesday, I didn't bat an eyelid. Assumed it was 1 of the regular incidents. When I sit and think about it, that says a lot.
  • Options

More Dusthole stuff

http://writingwomenshistory.blogspot.com/2010/07/girls-of-woolwich-dusthole.html?m=1

Yes...but would ya ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

More Dusthole stuff

Yes...but would ya ?
    Oi! That's my great grandmother you're talking about. : - )
  • Options

That's because Woolwich is a shithole full with a large number of undesirable people, and for those that disagree, how many of you would feel safe walking around it night?

You mean like it was in Victorian times?

Seems poor old Woolwich can't win.

Developments are no good as housing too expensive.

But if flats are cheap its because its a shithole.

No one is claiming its Bromley or that it is perfect just saying it might be changing for the better.
  • Options
    Can build as many Tescos as they like, it will still be a dive.

Can understand the points of it always being diverse but having large groups of somalians, nigerians, polish, albanians all at eachother's throats is in no way healthy. White British being a minority isn't something to be proud of... I certainly don't want my children growing up as a minority, Nor do I want to have to worry about them when they're going out locally. People don't feel safe there when alone.

Some places genuinely are diverse and friendly but Woolwich doesn't come under that cateogary. These terrorists were both local and one had recently been in the centre of Woolwich spouting his hatred to all who would listen.
  • Options
    I was down there yesterday and I don't see any change for the better occurring.
    Have a walk around by the angelsea arms and Connaught.
  • Options
    Oh I must say I walked by the Anglesea the other day and made a note to myself not to walk that way again.

I have just been up to the scene. Very moving. The people of Woolwich are coming out in their droves as loads of people walking up from all directions. Black, white, Asian - lots of different nationalities. The flowers are building by the hour. I expect it to grow even more over next few days.

• Options

Would I walk around there on my own at night. No. As Henry said above its not perfect by any stretch and after years of decline why would it be any different. What I was saying is that vast improvements have been made during the last four or five years and those improvements are ongoing. Whether you like it or not there is no doubt Woolwich IS on the up.