Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The people of Woolwich

Comments

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Why tomorrow? I drove past earlier and a steady stream of people heading there.

Just the day that was mentioned and since has had lots of people saying thats when they are going.

On a different note, I cant remember where I read it.... but the girl that stayed with Lee Rigby after he was murdered was pictured out looking for a job the day after... surely she someone must have given her a job by now with the courage she showed?
  • Options
    I would walk through woolwich at night same as i have walked from tottenham to enfield at stupid oclock in the morning

You can not let yourself be afraid or a victim of the new world

If i was elderly or a woman maybe not but i aint so i walk where i want to when i want to
  • Options
    What I was getting at was I wouldn't my daughter or Mrs walking Woolwich at night alone. We've all had walks through dodgy places at night and I know I can look after myself (to an exten) although while sober I'm alot more on guard and wary walking through Lewisham/Woolwich etc than Blackheath/Greenwich and Welling if you get my drift.
  • Options
    A pic from earlier. You'd have to have a cold heart not to be moved by some of messages. Especially from fellow servicemen.
  • Options
    SE10 said:

if you get my drift.

*shakes head*
  • Options

And for all the " twonks" it was very left wing too. First Labour MP in england was elected by Woolwich.

Henry are you sure, research suggests that

Keir Hardy was the first Labour MP - West Ham South 1892

Will Crooks was the fourth Labour MP - Woolwich 1903

• Options
    I despair. The working class people of Woolwich in our current financial situation turn up in their droves to lay flowers they probably can not afford. Woolwich is improving but that was not the intention of my original post. It was the people of Woolwich and surrounding areas that immediately felt the pain of what had happened and wanted to show the world of their support for Lee and respect for his family and friends. Some of you have acknowledged this but too many have come on here to slag off Woolwich and all of the people who live there and all I can say is shame on you.
    I will always be proud of my routes working class, born in Woolwich and being Charlton. The way Woolwich is at the moment is reflected in what has happened in cities across this country and the blame lies with everyone that does not get off their backsides and vote in general elections or take to the streets to protest. If you live in a nice area lucky you there are too poor areas in this country which people have no say in how things can be improved thank your lucky stars if you are not one of them.
  • Options
    Vincent said:

I despair. The working class people of Woolwich in our current financial situation turn up in their droves to lay flowers they probably can not afford. Woolwich is improving but that was not the intention of my original post. It was the people of Woolwich and surrounding areas that immediately felt the pain of what had happened and wanted to show the world of their support for Lee and respect for his family and friends. Some of you have acknowledged this but too many have come on here to slag off Woolwich and all of the people who live there and all I can say is shame on you.
    I will always be proud of my routes working class, born in Woolwich and being Charlton. The way Woolwich is at the moment is reflected in what has happened in cities across this country and the blame lies with everyone that does not get off their backsides and vote in general elections or take to the streets to protest. If you live in a nice area lucky you there are too poor areas in this country which people have no say in how things can be improved thank your lucky stars if you are not one of them.

I'm not sure that people were "slagging off" Woolwich, Vincent. Some people have commented on a sorry state of affairs that affects much of the country to a greater or lesser degree. One of the great strengths of this site is that a wide diversity of opinions are expressed, often very eloquently. I have lived only four or five miles from Woolwich for almost 50 years, yet by reading the posts on these threads I have learned so much about the social history and current situation in SE18.

• Options
    Keir Hardie was an Independent Labour MP

I thought Crooks was the first English Labour Party MP but I could be wrong.

And for all the " twonks" it was very left wing too. First Labour MP in england was elected by Woolwich.

Henry are you sure, research suggests that

Keir Hardy was the first Labour MP - West Ham South 1892

Will Crooks was the fourth Labour MP - Woolwich 1903

• Options
    You will see a reaction in paris thats for sure after the soldier there was stabbed in the neck whilst on patrol by a man of north african origin
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Vincent said:

I'm not sure that people were "slagging off" Woolwich, Vincent. Some people have commented on a sorry state of affairs that affects much of the country to a greater or lesser degree. One of the great strengths of this site is that a wide diversity of opinions are expressed, often very eloquently. I have lived only four or five miles from Woolwich for almost 50 years, yet by reading the posts on these threads I have learned so much about the social history and current situation in SE18.

Viewfinder I have read your comments regarding my post and other comments you have made on other posts and I must say that we are of similar opinion. Regarding your last comment read all comments that have been made about the people of Woolwich and of Woolwich itself and I hope you agree that we should be looking for the positives of the past few days and not the negatives. That was the whole point of the original post.

• Options

You will see a reaction in paris thats for sure after the soldier there was stabbed in the neck whilst on patrol by a man of north african origin

NLA you are most definitely right and let them show us the way

• Options
    Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Viewfinder I have read your comments regarding my post and other comments you have made on other posts and I must say that we are of similar opinion. Regarding your last comment read all comments that have been made about the people of Woolwich and of Woolwich itself and I hope you agree that we should be looking for the positives of the past few days and not the negatives. That was the whole point of the original post.

Quite so, Vincent. I'm with you all the way.

• Options
    Vincent - a great opening post & a follow up above. I spent my formative years (5-9) growing up in the Stirling House flats between Simmons Rd & Brookhill Rd. I went to school at St Peters & my mum ran the playgroup next to St Peters church, with da working for Fords by Plumstead bridge.

I still travel through Woolwich (train/DLR) for work daily & drink in The Bull occasionally, but don't recognise some of the descriptions in this thread.

The last few days have seen the local community at their best - all the local community as far as I can see. There are issues, as there are for every single large town in the country. No one is suggesting that living together is easy. It's sometimes hard for two people to do it, but it needs help and a desire to make it work. What Woolwich doesn't need now is extremists, local or otherwise, from any side. It needs time for locals to, hopefully, show that they can rise above the divisions these extremists try to propagate.

I hope that the town and all its' people get to benefit from the continued growth & improved infrastructure. It's time they all had a break.
  • Options
    Vincent said:

Well said.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Vincent - a great opening post & a follow up above. I spent my formative years (5-9) growing up in the Stirling House flats between Simmons Rd & Brookhill Rd. I went to school at St Peters & my mum ran the playgroup next to St Peters church, with da working for Fords by Plumstead bridge.

I still travel through Woolwich (train/DLR) for work daily & drink in The Bull occasionally, but don't recognise some of the descriptions in this thread.

The last few days have seen the local community at their best - all the local community as far as I can see. There are issues, as there are for every single large town in the country. No one is suggesting that living together is easy. It's sometimes hard for two people to do it, but it needs help and a desire to make it work. What Woolwich doesn't need now is extremists, local or otherwise, from any side. It needs time for locals to, hopefully, show that they can rise above the divisions these extremists try to propagate.

I hope that the town and all its' people get to benefit from the continued growth & improved infrastructure. It's time they all had a break.

Hear hear Tel and when you see the people from all ethnic, political and class backgrounds laying floral tributes it confirms what you have just posted
  • Options
    Is it only people from Woolwich laying tributes then?
  • Options
    No mate i laid some the other day and i am going over to see mum on monday with the kids where we will lay some more and have a moment to reflect and show respect then i will walk them around woolwich and show them the things that make it great

On that subject can you still get up coxs mount
  • Options
    There's a peaceful community march tomorrow leaving the white horse pub at midday with a wreath laying and a the playing of the last post at the scene hopefully large numbers expected to pay there respects
  • Options
    No Rob, not at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    masicat said:

Wonder why MacDonalds chose Woolwich for its first UK outlet? BTW, my 97 year

masicat said:

Strange thing pride. Amazing how many people are proud of something they had absolutely no control over. Proud to be from Woolwhich, Proud to be black, gay, etc etc.
    The woman who stood up to these murderers should be proud. But the rest should start to try and do or achieve something which will then give them the right to use the word properly.

I wont bite

You should be proud of yourself for not doing so.
    What's the secret of your longevity, Masicat? Avoidance of MacDonalds, perhaps. I believe they chose Woolwich for the first UK outlet because at that time (early 1970s) the area was considered about average on the socio-economic scale.

• Options
    Vincent said:

Very, very well said.

• Options

No mate i laid some the other day and i am going over to see mum on monday with the kids where we will lay some more and have a moment to reflect and show respect then i will walk them around woolwich and show them the things that make it great

On that subject can you still get up coxs mount

Come up and say hello to Mickey! I should be back from Essex bout midday. Or I'll drop down to meet you as I know you said your daughter loved him too,

Yes you can get up the Mount.
  • Options
    I will text you B see if your home be great to see mickey
  • Options

Curb_It said:

Why tomorrow? I drove past earlier and a steady stream of people heading there.

I think he means people like SE9

Sorry henry, I know what you are getting at.... Bromley is not a really SE London so sorry to leave you out ;-)

• Options
    johnny73 said:

Areas change and some people can't handle it. The idea that Woolwich was this wonderful place back in the past is a bit of a joke - it's always had problems.
    It's easy to look back at the past with rose-tinted specs on. I get tired with people slagging the place off now often with slightly racist overtones.
    SE London is my home and I don't intend to leave.

Agree with this. I remember my mate teaching me the 'don't mess with me' walk so that I wouldn't have trouble visiting him on the Connaught Estate. A man was also murdered in the same block of flats where my wife (then girlfriend) lived.
    As for change you are spot on. Sure the area changed from the eighties to the present, but it had also changed from the fifties to the eighties, and the twenties to the fifties. It is called progress.
    I haven't seen any progress in Woolwich fir many years!
  • Options
    I moved in to Muller House on the Connaught estate when it opened as a kid. Moved out in 1977 to the new estate of red houses in Burrage rd. The first place I owned was on Plustead High Street. Everywhere there were racists, anti racists and the vast majority of people who did not care one way or another. SE18 - pretty much like everywhere else then.
  • Options

johnny73 said:

Areas change and some people can't handle it. The idea that Woolwich was this wonderful place back in the past is a bit of a joke - it's always had problems.
    It's easy to look back at the past with rose-tinted specs on. I get tired with people slagging the place off now often with slightly racist overtones.
    SE London is my home and I don't intend to leave.

Agree with this. I remember my mate teaching me the 'don't mess with me' walk so that I wouldn't have trouble visiting him on the Connaught Estate. A man was also murdered in the same block of flats where my wife (then girlfriend) lived.
    As for change you are spot on. Sure the area changed from the eighties to the present, but it had also changed from the fifties to the eighties, and the twenties to the fifties. It is called progress.
    I haven't seen any progress in Woolwich fir many years!
    I am surprised by this view. The houses and flats for sale in the old Arsenal site are very desirable. Five mins walk from the DLR and has its own pier for Thames Clipper. The town centre is unrecognisable from just a year or two ago and as the Cross rail project progresses it will continue to change. All along the Thames is being developed with flats and because of the now very good transport links the area is an attractive proposition for young professionals who can see that the cost of housing is for its location very good value. As the demographic changes so will the shops, bars and restaurants. It's not there yet but it's just a matter of time. Think Deptford.

• Options
    SHG, he lives in Perth, Australia. He's trying to be funny, but there's no :-)
  • Options

SHG, he lives in Perth, Australia. He's trying to be funny, but there's no :-)

Ahh.