Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The people of Woolwich

Comments

• Options

johnny73 said:

Areas change and some people can't handle it. The idea that Woolwich was this wonderful place back in the past is a bit of a joke - it's always had problems.
    It's easy to look back at the past with rose-tinted specs on. I get tired with people slagging the place off now often with slightly racist overtones.
    SE London is my home and I don't intend to leave.

Agree with this. I remember my mate teaching me the 'don't mess with me' walk so that I wouldn't have trouble visiting him on the Connaught Estate. A man was also murdered in the same block of flats where my wife (then girlfriend) lived.
    As for change you are spot on. Sure the area changed from the eighties to the present, but it had also changed from the fifties to the eighties, and the twenties to the fifties. It is called progress.
    I haven't seen any progress in Woolwich fir many years!
    I am surprised by this view. The houses and flats for sale in the old Arsenal site are very desirable. Five mins walk from the DLR and has its own pier for Thames Clipper. The town centre is unrecognisable from just a year or two ago and as the Cross rail project progresses it will continue to change. All along the Thames is being developed with flats and because of the now very good transport links the area is an attractive proposition for young professionals who can see that the cost of housing is for its location very good value. As the demographic changes so will the shops, bars and restaurants. It's not there yet but it's just a matter of time. Think Deptford.

At your suggestion, SHG, I'm thinking about Deptford and can't come up with many improvements to the place in the last few years. And whatever happens it's dangerously close to a certain venue in Zampa Road. But I suppose that's a whole new subject, and a new thread...

• Options

johnny73 said:

Areas change and some people can't handle it. The idea that Woolwich was this wonderful place back in the past is a bit of a joke - it's always had problems.
    It's easy to look back at the past with rose-tinted specs on. I get tired with people slagging the place off now often with slightly racist overtones.
    SE London is my home and I don't intend to leave.

Agree with this. I remember my mate teaching me the 'don't mess with me' walk so that I wouldn't have trouble visiting him on the Connaught Estate. A man was also murdered in the same block of flats where my wife (then girlfriend) lived.
    As for change you are spot on. Sure the area changed from the eighties to the present, but it had also changed from the fifties to the eighties, and the twenties to the fifties. It is called progress.
    I haven't seen any progress in Woolwich fir many years!
    I am surprised by this view. The houses and flats for sale in the old Arsenal site are very desirable. Five mins walk from the DLR and has its own pier for Thames Clipper. The town centre is unrecognisable from just a year or two ago and as the Cross rail project progresses it will continue to change. All along the Thames is being developed with flats and because of the now very good transport links the area is an attractive proposition for young professionals who can see that the cost of housing is for its location very good value. As the demographic changes so will the shops, bars and restaurants. It's not there yet but it's just a matter of time. Think Deptford.

At your suggestion, SHG, I'm thinking about Deptford and can't come up with many improvements to the place in the last few years. And whatever happens it's dangerously close to a certain venue in Zampa Road. But I suppose that's a whole new subject, and a new thread...

Current house prices in Deptford represent the actual asking prices for homes for sale calculated daily from the properties in the Home.co.uk property search.
    You can view the latest home asking price trends in Deptford with our Asking Prices Report for Deptford. You can compare these figures with the latest house selling price trends in Deptford with our House Prices Report for Deptford.

Summary of Properties for Sale in Deptford
    Total properties for sale in Deptford: 517
    Properties for sale in Deptford listed in the last 14 days: 65
    Average* price of properties for sale in Deptford: £383,236
    Median* price: £319,950
    Average time on market (ToM) of unsold property in Deptford*: 123 days
    Median time on market (ToM) of unsold property*: 62 days
    Properties for Sale in Deptford by Price
    15613010478522600881561166576under £100,000£100,000 to £200,000£200,000 to £300,000£300,000 to £400,000£400,000 to £500,000£500,000 to £1,000,000
    No. of properties Average ToM*
    under £100,000 0 -
    £100,000 to £200,000 88 119 days
    £200,000 to £300,000 156 126 days
    £300,000 to £400,000 116 115 days
    £400,000 to £500,000 65 126 days
    £500,000 to £1,000,000 76 129 days
    over £1,000,000 16 122 days
    Property Prices in Deptford by Number of Bedrooms
    One bedroom
    Two bedrooms
    Three bedrooms
    Four bedrooms
    Five bedrooms
    32.7%
    19.8%
    42.9%
    No. of properties Average price Median price Average ToM
    One bedroom 160 £232,081 £220,000 106 days
    Two bedrooms 210 £382,576 £330,000 115 days
    Three bedrooms 97 £546,207 £495,000 137 days
    Four bedrooms 19 £747,044 £525,000 200 days
    Five bedrooms 4 £458,750 £462,500 247 days
    Property Prices in Deptford by Type
    Flat
    Terraced
    Semi-detached
    Detached
    88.8%
    No. of properties Average price Median price Average ToM
    Flat 444 £343,037 £295,000 122 days
    Terraced 35 £588,254 £475,000 100 days
    Semi-detached 15 £540,600 £464,995 113 days
    Detached 6 £1,412,500 £1,162,500 124 days
    Properties for Sale in Deptford by Time on Market
    13411289674522013411149384731Less than 1 monthBetween 1 and 2 monthsBetween 2 and 3 monthsBetween 4 and 6 monthsBetween 6 and 9 monthsBetween 9 and 12 months
    No. of properties
    Less than 1 month 134
    Between 1 and 2 months 111
    Between 2 and 3 months 49
    Between 3 and 4 months 47
    Between 4 and 6 months 38
    Between 6 and 9 months 47
    Between 9 and 12 months 31
    Between 12 and 18 months 22
    More than 18 months 13
    Note: The house prices for Deptford were calculated by sampling over all properties for sale in the Home.co.uk property search within 1 mile of the centre of Deptford

Get a Current Property Valuation
    Obtain an automated valuation for any property, calculated using the best House Valuation tools available, from Mouseprice.
    House Prices in Surrounding Areas
    House Prices in New Cross
    House Prices in Greenwich
    House Prices in Peckham
    House Prices in London
    House Prices in Brockley

House Prices in SE8
    House Prices in SE14
    House Prices in SE10
    House Prices in SE4
    House Prices in SE16
    To gain an overview of asking prices in this property market please see:
    House Prices Menu for London SE

House Price Reports for Deptford
    You can view the latest home asking price trends in Deptford with our Asking Prices Report for Deptford:
    Asking Prices in Deptford over the last year
    Asking Prices in Deptford since Sept 2006
    You may also compare these figures with the latest house selling price trends in Deptford with our House Prices Report for Deptford:

Selling Prices in Deptford over the last year
    Selling Prices in Deptford since April 2000
    Time on Market Reports for Deptford
    You can observe trends in the time on market for unsold property in Deptford with our Time on Market Reports:
    Time on Market in Deptford over the last year
    Time on Market in Deptford since Jan 2007
    Deptford Property Information
    For property for sale in Deptford, estate agents in Deptford, maps of Deptford, areas neighbouring Deptford and all other local property information for Deptford, please see: Deptford Property Information
    Back to: House Prices Menu for Deptford, House Prices by Town and Postcode
    Did you find this page useful? If so, please bookmark or share it:
    Share on digg Share on delicious Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on email Share on bitly Share on google Share on stumbleupon Share on reddit Share on xing Share on yigg

• Options
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    SE7West said:

While I see the point about Woolwich not being the best melting pot, I know quite a few people from there, and while it has its problems, I think Woolwich still has a bit of fight in her. The problem is that the council isn't really helping out. Woolwich could be a great spot for young people and people from diversified backgrounds to set up businesses while living affordably. And there is nothing wrong with the opportunities that Woolwich represents -- lots of people in the area, and a good spot I would think to establish a business.

As it stands currently, I live in Greenwich, I do well here, but I don't know if I could get clients to go to Woolwich. That's a bit of the problem. Also, Woolwich has a rubbish football team (Arsenal).

I agree there's so much potential there - the Dial Arch kind of proves there's life there - but if it was a good spot to establish a business you'd definitely need to be able to bring your clients there; of course, you'd also see the big businesses there, but sadly you don't.
  • Options

For much of he 80's, 90's and early part of this century Woolwich was in decline but that has completely changed now. The riverfront developments and revamp of the town centre and most importantly DLR and Cross Rail have turned Woolwich into a vibrant, diverse and even desirable place to live where house prices for such a location are still on the side of sanity. It's on the up.

Its great that DLR and now crossrail are coming to woolwich ,but the housing situation for local people is dire.The luxury flats will do a lot to smarten the area up but are so far out of reach of local folk its not going to help much.
    You can buy a two bedroom terraced house in SE18 postcode for £170,000. Not many places within a 15 minute journey to Canary Wharf can say that.

That's because Woolwich is a shithole full with a large number of undesirable people, and for those that disagree, how many of you would feel safe walking around it night?

You mean like it was in Victorian times?

Seems poor old Woolwich can't win.

Developments are no good as housing too expensive.

But if flats are cheap its because its a shithole.

No one is claiming its Bromley or that it is perfect just saying it might be changing for the better.
    Henry, the problem is that the Council are approaching this all wrong. They need to get a wider social mix, which means attracting affluent people who might want to spend money. This will mean building a desirable social area - the Dial Arch proves it's possible - and subsidising businesses whilst they establish. It's a long term game, but new buildings for the Council and cancelling the regeneration budget after this year is hardly going to help. Until you start seeing businesses investing in the area, the place can never change.

Maybe the Arsenal development is part of this, but I fear it will create two halves of Woolwich, the affluent and the poor, and that's a recipe for disaster.
  • Options
    Sky source: man stabbed in woolwich...
  • Options
    Outside the tesco..
  • Options
    'Police are at the scene in central Woolwich but Scotland Yard said the violent assault is not linked to the terror attack last week.'
  • Options
    Lots of fond memories of Woolwich for me as a kid. Used to go every Saturday to the Saturday morning pictures at the Regal in Wellington Street. Went to Eglinton Primary just down from Herbert Road (not strictly Woolwich I know). Woolwich was always working class with a lot of character. The market square and traders, Powis Street and being dragged round the shops. Watching the eels being chopped in the pie and mash shop while waiting at the bus stop with my mum. Messing around on the ferry. Just the artillery 'feel' of the whole place. Childhood memories I know but still an important part of me. I've always had a soft spot for Woolwich because of that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I also have fond memories of Woolwich, I was born BHMB,my nan lived in St Marys Street and both my parents and myself were married in St Marys Church. .I attended Bloomfield Infant school and Fox Hill. Great memories I have of living in General Gordon Place facing the Common, and watching the army at home. I have always been proud of my connections with Woolwich and its military links. Robs memories have reminded me of the Saturday morning pictures, believe it was the ABC minors with Uncle Harry?....Sickened by the events of this week and my heart goes out to the parents and loved ones of drummer Rigby.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

For much of he 80's, 90's and early part of this century Woolwich was in decline but that has completely changed now. The riverfront developments and revamp of the town centre and most importantly DLR and Cross Rail have turned Woolwich into a vibrant, diverse and even desirable place to live where house prices for such a location are still on the side of sanity. It's on the up.

Its great that DLR and now crossrail are coming to woolwich ,but the housing situation for local people is dire.The luxury flats will do a lot to smarten the area up but are so far out of reach of local folk its not going to help much.
    You can buy a two bedroom terraced house in SE18 postcode for £170,000. Not many places within a 15 minute journey to Canary Wharf can say that.

That's because Woolwich is a shithole full with a large number of undesirable people, and for those that disagree, how many of you would feel safe walking around it night?

No one is claiming its Bromley or that it is perfect just saying it might be changing for the better.
    Henry, the problem is that the Council are approaching this all wrong. They need to get a wider social mix, which means attracting affluent people who might want to spend money. This will mean building a desirable social area - the Dial Arch proves it's possible - and subsidising businesses whilst they establish. It's a long term game, but new buildings for the Council and cancelling the regeneration budget after this year is hardly going to help. Until you start seeing businesses investing in the area, the place can never change.

Maybe the Arsenal development is part of this, but I fear it will create two halves of Woolwich, the affluent and the poor, and that's a recipe for disaster.
    I agree.

It was losing the Woolwich, Morgan Grampian, the Arsenal and the Barracks that set the town in a tail spin.

Some couldn't be avoided but others perhaps could.

There does need to a long term regen. It won't happen overnight but look at Deptford, Shoreditch, Hoxton and now Peckham. All as bad if not worse than Woolwich but changed for the better
  • Options
    Woolwich has probably had its best news this week in all the bleakness, and that's the OK being given to the fit out of the Crossrail station, all the areas listed above got there with the promise of major transport infrastructure.

The town has gone through pretty much the same as most northern ex coal mining towns, where lots of industry disappeared in a generation, and that ruins a town for the next generation. The development north of the Plumstead Road hasn't had the desired effect on the rest of SE18, but Crossrail will, along with the development of the Connaught Estate, if you improve the housing stock, especially as it'll be aimed at young professionals, tied to what will be fantastic links to Canary Wharf/West End in 2018, the town will turn round, and its place as London's dumping ground will go.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Woolwich has probably had its best news this week in all the bleakness, and that's the OK being given to the fit out of the Crossrail station, all the areas listed above got there with the promise of major transport infrastructure.

The town has gone through pretty much the same as most northern ex coal mining towns, where lots of industry disappeared in a generation, and that ruins a town for the next generation. The development north of the Plumstead Road hasn't had the desired effect on the rest of SE18, but Crossrail will, along with the development of the Connaught Estate, if you improve the housing stock, especially as it'll be aimed at young professionals, tied to what will be fantastic links to Canary Wharf/West End in 2018, the town will turn round, and its place as London's dumping ground will go.

I agree, in 15 years Woolwich will be a very different place, has an excellent riverfront location and access to London, just a matter of time.

Now, about Gravesend........
  • Options

rikofold said:

I agree.

It was losing the Woolwich, Morgan Grampian, the Arsenal and the Barracks that set the town in a tail spin.

There does need to a long term regen. It won't happen overnight but look at Deptford, Shoreditch, Hoxton and now Peckham. All as bad if not worse than Woolwich but changed for the better
    What happened to Morgan Grampian? Big magazine publishers - I remember going there in the 1980s. Taken over and relocated?

• Options

rikofold said:

I agree.

What happened to Morgan Grampian? Big magazine publishers - I remember going there in the 1980s. Taken over and relocated?

Apartments/Flats for about ten years now
  • Options
    Also lost uni of greenwich.
  • Options

SHG, he lives in Perth, Australia. He's trying to be funny, but there's no :-)

I tend to do that to see who does and doesn't pick up on it. ta

• Options
    Superb day for everyone who turned out yesterday. Around 100 or so Charlton in Clancy's before about 3k walked up to the Barracks to lay flowers.
  • Options

Superb day for everyone who turned out yesterday. Around 100 or so Charlton in Clancy's before about 3k walked up to the Barracks to lay flowers.

Well done lads.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done to all of you who went yesterday. Makes me proud to be a Charlton fan.
    I'm on my way back from a long weekend in Devon. Shall head to the barracks to lay flowers.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    walked from a pub in plumpstead to Clancies and then from there to that awful spot to lay our flowers with the other masses and then back to plumstead----------years exercise !
  • Options
    Well done those that went....
  • Options
    Woolwich will now disappear out of the media spotlight again - doubt most of the journalists even knew it existed.
  • Options
    Course they knew it existed... probably just not how to get there.
  • Options
    Could not care less for Palace getting promoted after what has happened in the past week
  • Options
    Proud to say my Mother, Wife, and Daughter all born in Woolwich. Of course the mix of people are very different now, but their reaction to this shocking event tells you everything about them.
  • Options
    Vincent said:

Could not care less for Palace getting promoted after what has happened in the past week

This this and this
  • Options
    Did my apprenticeship in RAW 1984-88(hence Bld_10a !). Been away a long time but that place made/turned me into a man. It's easy to think it's all down to rose tinted spectacles but they truly were great years and Woolwich is my town. (I'd done nothing,been nothing till then being brought up in Margate).
    I went back 2 years ago(been overseas,up Narf,excommunicated),to see what they'd done to the Arsenal. It was a shame,but fairly tasteful considering worse case scenario.I took a walk along the main drag,it felt unsafe (Riots that summer) ... tried to find the Shakespeare (now a shop),our pub opposite the Arsenal gates (Dover/Walmer castle) has gone as well. They always say take a glimpse back,don't stare ... maybe it'll do the same as Clapham and re-invent itself ? I still love my town and the people,ever growing warts and all.
  • Options
    Apart from Steve Davis (plumstead) are there any other famous people from SE18