Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Royal Baby

Comments

• Options

Opens thread called 'Royal Baby' but apparently doesn't give a shit.

Good luck to them, hope it all goes safely.

I thought it was a thread about Royal Babies ? I opened and posted to say I couldn't care less about Royal Babies. Btw. My **** wasn't shit.

Hope it goes well of course.

Opens thread again so must care ;)
  • Options

Horses for courses

I dont think that I will ever understand why such levels of hatred and despising can be associated with the royal family,

But at the same time life's to short to let that or to hate, influence my life or daily thoughts

Don't get me wrong nla. I don't hate them as individuals. In fact I don't think I hate anyone.

Hate is a strong word.

I don't understand the concept of elevating a "family" to adoration and privilege. Even the titles we give them make me snigger. "Your Royal Highness" when do we get to "Your Royal Very Highness" or perhaps in Prince Andrews case "Your Royal Lowness".

In any case this is not the thread for me to moan a proclaim my republican views.

I'm glad they had a healthy baby and I do wish them well.

great post
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

I'd rather a lovely thread on a Royal birth than another RIP one about someone that 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of us have never heard of. People die every day and it is very sad for their family and friends but we don't need them reported on here thank you.

I don't disagree with you on this, but you could easily change your second sentence thus:
    "People die are born every day and it is very sad nice for their family and friends but we don't need them reported on here thank you."
    But we don't have births of obscure people constantly announced on here do we?
    No, that's right. But my point still stands.
    Anyway, don't worry about it Riv, I'm not disagreeing with you. It's all cool.
    :smile:
  • Options

Thought I would add my line without reading the 451 previous posts.

Couldn't give a fuck.
    Non news
    Nearly a million people used food banks and the media are jumping about over some sprog with a silver spoon

The royal family bring in huge amount of revenue every year through tourism, our country would be a hell of a lot worse off financially without them.

Also using the C word when talking about an innocent baby is beyond disgusting.
    Nope , people getting excited about the royal family are like those that get excited about religon and it's fairy stories , disgusting.
  • Options
    I can understand you either a) Having a favourable opinion on the baby, or b) having a completely indifferent opinion to the baby (as I do)

But the fury that the monarchy seems to bring up in some people, its pathetic bitterness, with a dash of arrogance, and lashings of jealousy.

Life is not fair, deal with it.
  • Options
    There goes the hook and line let's see who eats the bait eh buckshee, shouldn't be long before that little morsal gets sucked in for a bite

Some love them shg some don't, I just don't get the need for those who don't like or love them to tell people why they don't based on some romantic we are all equal notion

• Options

There goes the hook and line let's see who eats the bait eh buckshee, shouldn't be long before that little morsal gets sucked in for a bite

Some love them shg some don't, I just don't get the need for those who don't like or love them to tell people why they don't based on some romantic we are all equal notion

We are all equal. We must aspire to that statement surely.

• Options
    in certain terms shg yes we are, but life isn't that simple and no notion will change it so why not embrace tradition and the history within our great country

take the Royals Away and they woukd only be replaced by some one else
  • Options

We are all equal. We must aspire to that statement surely.

Why?

I don't want to be King and I don't want to be someone like you whoever you are or whatever you believe or whatever you have or haven't got.

The only way we will be equals if we are all on welfare work for the State and the State decides what we all get. How would that grab you?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thought I would add my line without reading the 451 previous posts.

Couldn't give a fuck.
    Non news
    Nearly a million people used food banks and the media are jumping about over some sprog with a silver spoon

The royal family bring in huge amount of revenue every year through tourism, our country would be a hell of a lot worse off financially without them.

Also using the C word when talking about an innocent baby is beyond disgusting.
    Not true. The French tourism is higher than the UK which includes Chateaux, art collections previously owned by royalty, and palaces formerly inhabited by their royal family.

Tourists come for the buildings and the jewels, not the family itself.

Not bad mouthing the family and couldn't really care whether they're in place or not, but the myth of tourism is one that should be put to bed.
    this
  • Options
    What gets me is some people's reaction if you show an indifference to yesterday's events. I don't actually have a gripe with the Royal Family as individuals, I've met Anne and she seemed just fine. Admittedly I would rather we lived in a more meritocratic society with equal opportunity but I'm not really going to get my knickers in a twist at being 'ruled over' by someone who is there through a pure accident of birth. However yesterday, I made a flippant remark about not really caring about a woman I've never met giving birth to a child I will probably never meet and I was lambasted as an anti-Royalist, Britain hating, showing no respect to the old soldiers who've died for Queen and country traitor. What's that all about?!?
  • Options

What gets me is some people's reaction if you show an indifference to yesterday's events. I don't actually have a gripe with the Royal Family as individuals, I've met Anne and she seemed just fine. Admittedly I would rather we lived in a more meritocratic society with equal opportunity but I'm not really going to get my knickers in a twist at being 'ruled over' by someone who is there through a pure accident of birth. However yesterday, I made a flippant remark about not really caring about a woman I've never met giving birth to a child I will probably never meet and I was lambasted as an anti-Royalist, Britain hating, showing no respect to the old soldiers who've died for Queen and country traitor. What's that all about?!?

Hell hath no fury like the CL Royalist brigade scorned, forget it mate everyone is entitled to their point of view, might not agree with it but hey that's life. Hows things? :wink:
  • Options
    People getting on their high horse defending their culture and history, disgusting. Coz we wouldn't tolerate it from any other culture would we
  • Options
    brogib said:

People getting on their high horse defending their culture and history, disgusting. Coz we wouldn't tolerate it from any other culture would we

Oi, you done a runner from our culture! :wink:
  • Options

awe
  • Options
    I stand by what I said. AFKA hit nail on the head, CWLC was out of order regardless of what anyone thinks of the royals a baby should never be referred to using the C word. But I'm glad it is now edited out. Buckshee I'm not biting. SELR the French bring in tourists for different reasons they have historical buildings and land marks and oodles of culturist spots, our little old island has very little in comparison apart from our royal history, the British royal family is known globally and all buildings and landmarks associated with them presently or historically attract visitors from all over the world, I for one am proud of our royals and England wouldn't be England without them, God save the Queen!
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

brogib said:

Jokes aside, I've had a couple of heated discussions with French pals who think we shoulda done away with The Monarchy (Literally done away with) years ago.
  • Options

awe

What, they're in 'awe'? I'm not following :confused:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    brogib said:

RedChaser said:

brogib said:

Jokes aside, I've had a couple of heated discussions with French pals who think we shoulda done away with The Monarchy (Literally done away with) years ago.
    Yeh but they've got history mate and are totally biased. I'm a loyalist by the way before you get me in those sights :wink:
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Hell hath no fury like the CL Royalist brigade scorned, forget it mate everyone is entitled to their point of view, might not agree with it but hey that's life. Hows things? :wink:

Wasn't actually on here, someone I used to work with. Just thought his reaction was a tad OTT.

I'm ok RC, still smiling and living life peacefully :smile: hope all's well with you.
  • Options
    It takes all sorts to make the world go round, glad to hear things are good with you mate, pleased to report the same this end :wink:
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

brogib said:

RedChaser said:

brogib said:

Yeh but they've got history mate and are totally biased. I'm a loyalist by the way before you get me in those sights :wink:
    I never try to judge the French and generalise with them like some expats here do too often, as I've moved here and respect the way they do things; but I do think there is a bit of the green eyed monster in em when the subject of The Monarchy comes up.
  • Options

Never fails to astound me things that get over people's goat.

Just don't understand how virtually everyone likes the fact that these shores are globally admired, elevated and wanted to be visited. The Royal Family, it's history, pomp and residences play an almighty huge part in that.

Congratulations Wills and Kate, please name her Charlotte Alice Francesca Catherine

I thought big screens got your goat ;0)

• Options

I stand by what I said. AFKA hit nail on the head, CWLC was out of order regardless of what anyone thinks of the royals a baby should never be referred to using the C word. But I'm glad it is now edited out. Buckshee I'm not biting. SELR the French bring in tourists for different reasons they have historical buildings and land marks and oodles of culturist spots, our little old island has very little in comparison apart from our royal history, the British royal family is known globally and all buildings and landmarks associated with them presently or historically attract visitors from all over the world, I for one am proud of our royals and England wouldn't be England without them, God save the Queen!

I'm sorry but it's simply not true. People can be in favour of maintaining a Royal Family if they like, but the tourism thing is nonsense;

http://www.alva.org.uk/details.cfm?p=605

The only place in the top 10 most visited attractions that could be considered Royal is the Tower and the only inhabited Royal residence that attracts decent numbers is Windsor Castle (about 1.2m a year - so would struggle to make the top 30 of that list).

I wish William & Kate all the best, they seem like a nice, down to earth couple relatively speaking and they'll make fantastic parents for the new Princess.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    se9addick said:

I'm sorry but it's simply not true. People can be in favour of maintaining a Royal Family if they like, but the tourism thing is nonsense;

The only place in the top 10 most visited attractions that could be considered Royal is the Tower and the only inhabited Royal residence that attracts decent numbers is Windsor Castle (about 1.2m a year - so would struggle to make the top 30 of that list).

I wish William & Kate all the best, they seem like a nice, down to earth couple relatively speaking and they'll make fantastic parents for the new Princess.

Those figures are for visitors to the attractions, it don't say if they are foreign tourists does it, I mean, I've got English pals, who live in England, who are always taking their kids to The British Museum or The Natural History Museum ets.

Ask anyone in the world who wants to visit the UK and London in particular the reason why, The Queen or The Royals would come up in the first 5 reasons, whether they actualy visit the places linked to them is another matter. Have you got a survey for that?
  • Options

Never fails to astound me things that get over people's goat.

Just don't understand how virtually everyone likes the fact that these shores are globally admired, elevated and wanted to be visited. The Royal Family, it's history, pomp and residences play an almighty huge part in that.

Congratulations Wills and Kate, please name her Charlotte Alice Francesca Catherine

Bit slow on the uptake Afka, but I like your thinking on names for the baby, CAFC.

• Options
    the only reason for doing away with the royal family would simply be ideological and changing for the sake of changing... and we all know how well that turns out in the long run!
  • Options
    brogib said:

se9addick said:

Those figures are for visitors to the attractions, it don't say if they are foreign tourists does it, I mean, I've got English pals, who live in England, who are always taking their kids to The British Museum or The Natural History Museum ets.

Ask anyone in the world who wants to visit the UK and London in particular the reason why, The Queen or The Royals would come up in the first 5 reasons, whether they actualy visit the places linked to them is another matter. Have you got a survey for that?
    'TRUST' you to have a sly dig :smiley: