Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2nd Ashes Test at Lords

Comments

• Options
    terrific knock from Joe Boy .. And I reckoned he is not a natural opener !!
  • Options
    Well done JR - Sheffield lad!
  • Options

Okay, I'm paranoid/never think things through, so, here goes:

England wanted to put Australia back in, the "money" people say to England No, you must bat again, so England say "Bollocks", you want a one day match, we'll play a one day match, with one day shots.

*I know you're all out to get me............*

You really think the 'money' has that sort of power? Madness.
    22 hours later, and I'm still not sure if that is sarcasm or serious.

• Options
    263-4

Bell 58*
    Root 142*

Lead of 496.

And on we go................
  • Options
    Just to piss them off, I'd bat on into tomorrow morning, then declare after they've been out there for about ten overs. That should give us a lead of about 600, and demoralise them as they come out to bat for an hour or so before lunch.
  • Options
    Is it childish of me to be furiously sifting through my contacts list from 30 years working in the City, trying to find contact details for every Aussie I ever worked with?
  • Options

Sublime.
  • Options
    What a catch!!!!!
  • Options
    Now 515-5 (in real terms..........)
  • Options
    I don't think we''ll declare tonight - the players on the balcony are still in their tracksuits and there's no urgency on the pitch. Just a remorseless grind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tell you what, Clarke's a fucking spineless captain. Not taking the new ball because he's scared his bowlers will take some tap. Needs to man up here and at least give them the chance of a couple of morale boosting wickets before COP
  • Options
    It'll be until Root gets his double now I should think.
  • Options
    WSS said:

It'll be until Root gets his double now I should think.

I'd say when he gets out. Score a few quick runs tomorrow morning, have a look at what the pitch is doing and then declare. Gives us pretty much 2 full days to bowl them out.
  • Options

Tell you what, Clarke's a fucking spineless captain. Not taking the new ball because he's scared his bowlers will take some tap. Needs to man up here and at least give them the chance of a couple of morale boosting wickets before COP

he's the first aussie captain in a long, long time that has absolutely zero world class players in his team. Even Clarke, although a good batsman isn't at that level. I remember back in 05 he was by far the weak link in their legendary batting line up.
  • Options
    Clarke has made quite a few risky declarations himself, not wanting to settle for a draw
  • Options
    MCS said:

The guy chosen for his batting. Just leaving the office for a corporate day at Lords with one of the broadcasters. Looks like I will have a day of watching the Aussies smash us round the park. Thats a 400+ wicket there.

lol
    Yep. It is definitely a 400+ wicket........
  • Options
    I was just imagining the feeling coming off the pitch at Lords and through the Long Room having made 178 not out against the Australians. It can't get much better for a cricketer can it?
  • Options

I was just imagining the feeling coming off the pitch at Lords and through the Long Room having made 178 not out against the Australians. It can't get much better for a cricketer can it?

thought the same thing when Rob Key scored a double century at lords against the west indies. How many batsman through history can say that?
  • Options

I'm inclined to agree with you regarding the new ball but otherwise I think his captaincy so far in the series has been excellent given the resources at his disposal.

His bowling changes eg use of Watson and Smith being one example.

• Options
    Bet the Aussies are doing a rain dance as we speak....

Would need to be of the Great Flood proportions to give them a glimmer of hope !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Indeed, can you imagine Steve Waugh, Allan Border, Ricky Ponting etc being scared of a 22 year old playing his 9th Test?

England had Bairstow at the other end who is struggling for runs and his place in the team - given a choice I doubt that he would have wanted to face the new ball. So why feed them cheap and easy runs? If Agar/Smith were bowling well I could understand it but they weren't.
  • Options
    Please Root got his 150 plus - will do him the power of good.

Maybe get to lunch and then have a crack at them again with Swann's spin.
  • Options
    Ww will give root a chance of a double ton and will declare when he gets it or gets out
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    If its a bit overcast first thing I'd be surprised if Cook doesn't let Jimmy at them right away.
  • Options
    Weather forecast suggests a perfect day - a bit of early haze/clouds giving way to a warm afternoon.

Bat on - allow Root to get a Test 200 and then declare and set attacking fields. Swann and perhaps Root will have some bowling to do today.
  • Options
    Root will get 45mins to get to 200.

Swan will have a field day on that wicket. Suspect people with day 5 tickets might be claiming refunds.
  • Options
    349/7 Root out and England have declared.

Australia need 583 runs...
  • Options
    583 target .... come on england... get them out super quick...
  • Options
    Why the hell are we still batting.sod sentiment there is a test match to be won.I'm sure Root has got ample time in he's test career to get a double century.about time we've declared but what a waste of 20mins.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

349/7 Root out and England have declared.

Australia need 583 runs...

With 418 being the highest 4th innings total achieved, to win a Test Match I believe.