Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2nd Ashes Test at Lords

Comments

• Options
    Why didn't we make them bat again? There is absolutely no confidence in there batting.we could well of got at least 3/4 by the end of play.I think a lot of teams would of put this very poor auss
  • Options

Why didn't we make them bat again? There is absolutely no confidence in there batting.we could well of got at least 3/4 by the end of play.I think a lot of teams would of put this very poor auss

Momentum, and England's pathological need to make sure they can't lose a game before trying to win it. If Aussies go back in and have a 100-odd opening partnership, they have the momentum. 500 runs later and we have a day to get 300 odd runs with Australia having the momentum.

I think that this was a very wise decision tbh.
  • Options
    I'm having a deja vu moment here lol... 30-3
  • Options
    And another one bites the dust....
  • Options
    Hm...generally the batting seems to be ropey.

Don't worry because we have Bell.

• Options

Hm...generally the batting seems to be ropey.

Don't worry because we have Bell.

As Leslie Phillips would say " Ding dong"!

• Options
    Maybe now we should of put them back in.
  • Options
    KP doing what he always does, getting out because he can't be bothered. He's so frustrating because when he wants to he can be our best batsman.
  • Options
    So odd to see such poor batting considering the conditions.

Maybe apart from Bell most of the batsmen have been complacent?
  • Options

So odd to see such poor batting considering the conditions.

Maybe apart from Bell most of the batsmen have been complacent?

For "complacent" read "pillocks".

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Okay, I'm paranoid/never think things through, so, here goes:

England wanted to put Australia back in, the "money" people say to England No, you must bat again, so England say "Bollocks", you want a one day match, we'll play a one day match, with one day shots.

*I know you're all out to get me............*
  • Options
    If a spinner can take five wickets on day two of a Test think what it's going to be like on day four for the spinners?

Now would you want to be doing the batting then, or doing the spinning?
  • Options
    BFR, seriously don't think it would have got to day 4 IF we put them back in tonight.
  • Options
    Well at least I can't be accused of advocating the follow on with hindsight....
  • Options
    Len we both knew it
  • Options
    Cricinfo...

Peter Doubleday: "Cook had things on his mind? Really? Look, it's simple. Foot, windpipe, choke. Let's leave aside the meta-game of the rest of this series and the challenging one coming up in Aus. Cook (and presumably Flower) chose the single possible option for Australia to get back into the match. Madness!"

I agree

Discuss
  • Options
    or

Cricinfo...

Bob: "Totally disagree with with Mr Doubleday. Following on would have given the Aussies a shot of redemption, even if England buckle and give the Aussies a mere 300 to chase there is only one winner on a pitch that looks like it will offer Swanny plenty in the 4th innings......."

I just don't know, but what I do know, there is NOTHING like an Ashes test match/series, one of our greatest inventions.
  • Options
    31-3 close of play. England only have a 264 lead :-)
  • Options
    Well done Bresnan on the first part of the nightwatchman job.

He needs to bat for at least an hour tomorrow now and Root needs to take!
  • Options

Okay, I'm paranoid/never think things through, so, here goes:

England wanted to put Australia back in, the "money" people say to England No, you must bat again, so England say "Bollocks", you want a one day match, we'll play a one day match, with one day shots.

*I know you're all out to get me............*

You really think the 'money' has that sort of power? Madness.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

BFR, seriously don't think it would have got to day 4 IF we put them back in tonight.

Who knows, Smith and Swann got a fair bit of turn today and the wicket will only get drier - I doubt it'll be a raging bunsen but I can see Swann and Root having a decent bowl on it at some point late tomorrow/Sunday. Also following on would mean England's bowlers doing a day and a half's work (or so) without a break, this decision plays to the team strategy of playing four frontline bowlers and allows them a break. Time is on our side here.
  • Options
    With Mog on this whats the lost revenue if the test doesnt make day 4
  • Options

LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Their strength lies in their bowling.

And their bowlers will be knackered.

or loosened up nicely....

I can see the sense of batting them out of the game IF we can do it.

However at 1 up in the series in my view the important thing is not to lose. By making them bat again they are the ones that have to take risks and there is less chance of losing.

I've only got cricinfo at the moment so what do Aggers and the boys think?

Len, I'll bet you any sum you care to name. I say England will win this match for sure by batting again.
    £10 to the upbeats then.

If England win this test I'll pay it if they don't you pay it.

I need to know how to pay though as I don't at the moment.

I don't really know why I'm betting because I can understand the thinking and it SHOULD work.

It's worth it though as the Upbeats benefit either way.
    You're on :-)
    Len, I will be at Lords tomorrow, in order to make a personal check on my investment & sample the standards of the local hostelries. Therefore, I will not be posting on here, but will report back on Sunday :-)
  • Options

LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Their strength lies in their bowling.

And their bowlers will be knackered.

or loosened up nicely....

I can see the sense of batting them out of the game IF we can do it.

However at 1 up in the series in my view the important thing is not to lose. By making them bat again they are the ones that have to take risks and there is less chance of losing.

I've only got cricinfo at the moment so what do Aggers and the boys think?

Len, I'll bet you any sum you care to name. I say England will win this match for sure by batting again.
    £10 to the upbeats then.

If England win this test I'll pay it if they don't you pay it.

I need to know how to pay though as I don't at the moment.

I don't really know why I'm betting because I can understand the thinking and it SHOULD work.

It's worth it though as the Upbeats benefit either way.
    You're on :-)
    Len, I will be at Lords tomorrow, in order to make a personal check on my investment & sample the standards of the local hostelries. Therefore, I will not be posting on here, but will report back on Sunday :-)
    Enjoy the day and have one in the local hostelries for me.

I win either way with this bet as I see it :-)
  • Options
    If you enforce the follow on, Australia will still need 230 odd to make England bat again. The England bowlers can't be tired as the Aussie innings was barely 2 sessions. If Australia get 330, then England would only need 100 to win, albeit on the Day 4 pitch.

Australia batted last at Trent Bridge and nearly chased down the total. Imagine England get skittled for 100 tomorrow, 330 odd is a tough target yes, but England will be nervous. And as they will be in mid afternoon tomorrow, it'll only be a day 3 pitch!
  • Options
    edited July 2013

If you enforce the follow on, Australia will still need 230 odd to make England bat again. The England bowlers can't be tired as the Aussie innings was barely 2 sessions. If Australia get 330, then England would only need 100 to win, albeit on the Day 4 pitch.

Australia batted last at Trent Bridge and nearly chased down the total. Imagine England get skittled for 100 tomorrow, 330 odd is a tough target yes, but England will be nervous. And as they will be in mid afternoon tomorrow, it'll only be a day 3 pitch!

My sentiments entirely and that was before the events of the last hour or so.
  • Options
    chill folks, Australia are shit. Not even we can lose from this position
  • Options

The guy chosen for his batting. Just leaving the office for a corporate day at Lords with one of the broadcasters. Looks like I will have a day of watching the Aussies smash us round the park. Thats a 400+ wicket there.

lol
  • Options

Never judge a first inning batting total until both teams have had a go!

Agree 100%, or in internet terms, This!

• Options
    I think we should have forced the follow on but what do I know. The south Londoner living in California. :-)

I hope England don't choke now. Only England can make a meal of a match that they had in the bag. Put pressure on themselves by declining the follow on rather than going with the momentum. I still think we'll win though but I would have asked them to bat again.