Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2nd Ashes Test at Lords

Comments

• Options

Why the hell are we still batting.sod sentiment there is a test match to be won.I'm sure Root has got ample time in he's test career to get a double century.about time we've declared but what a waste of 20mins.

What's really hard to fathom is why Root played such a stupid shot when the only reason England were out there was to enable him to get to 200. A very odd start to the day.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Presumably, feeling guilty, at delaying our opportunity to win the game, for his own personal reasons.
  • Options

Why the hell are we still batting.sod sentiment there is a test match to be won.I'm sure Root has got ample time in he's test career to get a double century.about time we've declared but what a waste of 20mins.

What's really hard to fathom is why Root played such a stupid shot when the only reason England were out there was to enable him to get to 200. A very odd start to the day.
    Presumably because Cook made it clear that there was a time limit - i.e. you have 30 minutes or I declare.

• Options

Presumably, feeling guilty, at delaying our opportunity to win the game, for his own personal reasons.

He batted all day yesterday and to team orders - the reward was to get a shot at a Test double hundred. That's good captaincy.

• Options
    Indeed, an "escape goat"??
  • Options

He batted all day yesterday and to team orders - the reward was to get a shot at a Test double hundred. That's good captaincy.

I know I was there :-) & I agree. But he must have still had a pang of guilt. I know I would.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Watson lbw Anderson 20

24-1
  • Options
    Whallop and were off and running!
  • Options

I know I was there :-) & I agree. But he must have still had a pang of guilt. I know I would.
    24-1, Watson plumb LBW.

I wouldn't feel guilty - there are still five and a half sessions to win and England won't be missing those extra few minutes.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reckon it might be all over today...with the cloud cover helping.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

24-1, Watson plumb LBW.

I wouldn't feel guilty - there are still five and a half sessions to win and England won't be missing those extra few minutes.

Yes, but it might not have been a few minutes. He might have been scratching around for an hour or even longer, with the majority of the Engalnd cricket supporters nationwide, aware that the only reason we're not bowling, is because of him.
    Personally, I didn't have a problem, as I'm 100% confident we'll win, but never say never.
  • Options
    Why are people moaning about an extra 30 minutes or so?

Get em out in the field, then declare and make their openers pad up and come straight out again.

Or is it just that people like to moan?

This will be over today, with a day to spare. When it is I'd like to think that people will come back on to say that Cook got it right. It isn't just about winning this game, it's about killing them for the rest of the series. And long may it continue.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    32-2

Rogers b Swann 6
  • Options
    It comes down to good management - I can see Cook/Flower taking him to one side and saying well batted yesterday, great innings etc - we are going to give you a shot at a Test 200, but we will declare if you hang around. There's a psychological element to this as well, Root will feel on top of the world and grateful that he was given this chance and the Aussies will have been ground into the dust just a bit more and forced to watch as England play a few games with them.

Anyway 32-2.

• Options
    brilliant... this is quite superb....
  • Options
    mascot88 said:

brilliant... this is quite superb....

And an embarrassing way to get out - shouldering arms at a straight delivery that went with the arm.

• Options
    Shane "LB" Watson.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Welcome to CL. The negativity in this thread compared to how much we're dominating this series is hilarious.
  • Options

Off_it said:

Welcome to CL. The negativity in this thread compared to how much we're dominating this series is hilarious.

Off_it said:

erm... yep..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    36-3 Hughes LBW Swann 1

And a wasted review.
  • Options
    hahaha ....
  • Options
    From the BBC's live website coverage:

The review confirms what we suspected, Hughes plumber than Plumby McPlumb. Australia, quite simply, are being crushed by the England steamroller. The Aussies are 36-3 chasing 583!

• Options
    Aussies don't like they will get 583 in the rest of the series, never mind this innings.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

The review confirms what we suspected, Hughes plumber than Plumby McPlumb.
    Australia, quite simply, are being crushed by the England steamroller. The Aussies are 36-3 chasing 583!

Oh don't take my name in vain.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

The review confirms what we suspected, Hughes plumber than Plumby McPlumb. Australia, quite simply, are being crushed by the England steamroller. The Aussies are 36-3 chasing 583!

According to TMS, he was also a plumber from Plumstead.
  • Options
    Clarke c Cook b Root 51

134-4
  • Options

Clarke c Cook b Root 51

134-4

As they say in the wrestling, all over but for the counting.

• Options
    Khawaja c Anderson b Root 54

134-5
  • Options
    Whallop