Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2nd Ashes Test at Lords

Comments

• Options
    a really disappointing day from the purely cricketing point of view .. the Aus batting was rubbish and the English reply not much better .. something like 1/2 an hour without a run scored just before close .. people have paid some hundred pounds to watch this, I have seem better school games .. a nice day out apart from the rubbish cricket .. glad it was a freebie .. and my friend bought a nice baseball cap with father time as the logo .. she says he reminds her of me ... cheek !!!!!!

• Options
    Gonna end in a draw.
  • Options
    Ffs, can all you doom and gloom merchants just pisd off. Why do you feel the need to infect every single thread with your endless pessimism.
  • Options
    Good start so far today. 103/3. 336 in front.

Just need to get a decent score, another 150/200 and this could be over by tomorrow tea time
  • Options
    Yes reach 400 and then do a 20:20 attack to get as many over 450 in as little time as possible leaving plenty of time to bowl out the Aussies seeing that the weather is turning for the bowlers...
  • Options
    If they don't get bowled out, there is no way Andy Flower will allow a declaration without a lead of at least 500. I expect it to be closer to 550, with the Aussies facing 8-10 overs tonight.
  • Options
    its great... solid there...
  • Options
    Some proper Test cricket has belatedly broken out.
  • Options
    Excellent morning session
  • Options
    Looks a good decision to bat again now, doesn't it NLA/Len?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

Looks a good decision to bat again now, doesn't it NLA/Len?

It does appear to have worked thanks to an exceptional nightwatchman job by Bresnan and Root living up to his name.

I did in fact say (yesterday before I'm accused of hindsight) that the tactic SHOULD work but my preferred option would have been the follow on.

I stand by that still although I'll take a win however it comes if it comes.
  • Options
    Can we have a bit of a tonk now lads?
  • Options

Can we have a bit of a tonk now lads?

THIS
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Given where we are the ideal now would be to extend the lead to 500 and then declare leaving Australia a sticky 10 overs or so tonight to negotiate.

A wicket or even two would then set us up nicely.

No need to take risks though there is still plenty of time. Not losing, preferably by winning, is the objective with a lead already in the series.
  • Options
    Keep it tight until tea, then open up a bit afterwards would be my guess. Chasing a big total at Lord's is not as testing as it would be on most grounds, so it would be stupid to go out and thrash it around knowing that there's the possibility we could get skittled with only a 450 lead.

Of course, the convicts are a bit shit, but you don't want to give them even a sniff.
  • Options
    Grind them into the deck.

• Options
    close call .. out or not out ?
  • Options
    Gower and Warne reckon that was out. Personally I'm with the 3rd umpire looked to go down to me.
  • Options
    the more I see it the more it looks clean .. this is the problem with replays .. often more doubt is created than from the original umpire's decision
  • Options
    They won't tell them to open up too quickly. Prior still needs runs to get going in the series, so you'd want him to get a solid start and a few runs on his account before asking the batsmen to take the higher risk approach of accelerating the rate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Out. All day long. Love it.
  • Options
    I hope Root gets his century.

He certainly deserves to.

As for Bresnan the scorebook says 38 but that innings was worth so much more than appears in the context of the game.
  • Options
    As long as the Aussies are choked I am happy...
  • Options
    Out.

The camera angle foreshortens the image but it should bounce into the fielder's hands if it hit the turf first.

Oh dear what a pity never mind...

• Options
    Technology is not the all curing panacea some people claim.

Mistakes will still be made.
  • Options
    They were going ballistic about that decision on TMS just now. Boycott was spitting feathers. They all agreed it was out and the technology was never going to give it out. Haven't seen it yet myself, but must admit I was laughing in my car at the apparent injustice suffered by the poor Aussies.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    As an aside, I think the principle of 'staying with the onfield decision' when it's a tight call is a sound one. With that in mind, maybe the umpires should be told to always make a clear onfield decision whenever they make a referral. That would've removed controversy over the Agar stumping too - it was so close, (as was, it would seem, that catch just now), the third ump would've been right to stick with the umpires call, regardless of which way he had decided to call it.
  • Options
    nope we would've bowled them all out by now instead of watching real slow play
  • Options

As an aside, I think the principal of 'staying with the onfield decision' when it's a tight call is a sound one. With that in mind, maybe the umpires should be told to always make a clear onfield decision whenever they make a referral. That would've removed controversy over the Agar stumping too - it was so close, (as was, it would seem, that catch just now), the third ump would've been right to stick with the umpires call, regardless of which way he had decided to call it.

good post ...
  • Options

As an aside, I think the principal of 'staying with the onfield decision' when it's a tight call is a sound one. With that in mind, maybe the umpires should be told to always make a clear onfield decision whenever they make a referral. That would've removed controversy over the Agar stumping too - it was so close, (as was, it would seem, that catch just now), the third ump would've been right to stick with the umpires call, regardless of which way he had decided to call it.

completely agreed.

Joe Root on 97* and looking rock solid, can definitely see the similarities with Atherton.