Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2nd Ashes Test at Lords

Comments

• Options
    128/10

Harris ct KP Swann
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Only 33 needed to avoid the follow on now.

Another stubborn Australian last wicket partnership.

EDIT: Excellent! I typed him out!

128 all out.
  • Options
    so what would you all do now
  • Options

Bat again.

England have four bowlers - they can put their feet up and not be seen again until after lunch on Saturday.

The Aussie fast bowlers must be grinding their teeth - they only wrapped up England's first innings four hours ago.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    bat ------ twat the bastards all round the pitch get a lead of 700 and then bowl em out for 6.
    "are you watching Dame Edna, Rolf Harris, Russel Crow-----we gave vour boys a hell of a beating"
  • Options

Make them follow on.

20 or so overs to survive tonight against a new cherry with the prospect of cloud cover tomorrow morning.

Keep the pressure on.
  • Options
    same here I would put them back in and have to only chase a hundred max this is a shite aussie team
  • Options
    Bat them out of the game until just before close tomorrow evening. By that stage we'll have over two days to bowl them out with a target of around 500.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    LenGlover said:

Make them follow on.

20 or so overs to survive tonight against a new cherry with the prospect of cloud cover tomorrow morning.

Keep the pressure on.
    There's more than 3 days left. You can't give them a chance. You grind them into the ground.

If they follow on and by some great batting (miracle) they score 550 odd and leave us chasing 300 to win on day 5, we could lose.

You bat them out the game !

• Options
    I reckon that they would struggle to reach 200-230 and we could have a day and ahalf to reach it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I reckon that they would struggle to reach 200-230 and we could have a day and ahalf to reach it

They may well do, but Clarke is more than capable of getting 200 by himself.

It's not out of the question, that they could have scored 500 plus, batting on days 3 & 4.
  • Options
    Well all the pundits seem to agree with England batting again. Don't think the cloud tomorrow is going to be issue. It's likely only for the first couple of hours of play, and it's going to be high cloud. Plus Aussies don't have the sort of swing bowlers England possess.

Last thing you want is to be chasing a couple of hundred on a day 4 or 5 wicket with Agar and Smith bowling spin.

Put a few hundred on over the next day, get a lead of 500 and then bowl the aussies out.
  • Options
    I'm sure the MCC is glad England are batting again, the way Australia batted, if they batted again the game could be all over by tomorrow afternoon!
  • Options
    edited July 2013

LenGlover said:

Make them follow on.

Keep the pressure on.
    There's more than 3 days left. You can't give them a chance. You grind them into the ground.

If they follow on and by some great batting (miracle) they score 550 odd and leave us chasing 300 to win on day 5, we could lose.

You bat them out the game !

At the moment they are demoralised so there is every chance of a wicket or two tonight.

Their strength lies in their bowling. They could run through us with the probable cloud cover tomorrow morning so we would then definitely be vulnerable. Let their batters face the problem of Jimmy and co!

EDIT:

All academic as we are batting!
  • Options
    Their strength lies in their bowling.

And their bowlers will be knackered.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

or loosened up nicely....

I can see the sense of batting them out of the game IF we can do it.

However at 1 up in the series in my view the important thing is not to lose. By making them bat again they are the ones that have to take risks and there is less chance of losing.

I've only got cricinfo at the moment so what do Aggers and the boys think?

• Options
    Can't believe people even considering making them follow on. Bat again is the only option, well done Cook. Now lets pile on the runs and make them suffer.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    LenGlover said:

However at 1 up in the series in my view the important thing is not to lose. By making them bat again they are the ones that have to take risks and there is less chance of losing.

Len, I'll bet you any sum you care to name. I say England will win this match for sure by batting again.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Len, I'll bet you any sum you care to name. I say England will win this match for sure by batting again.</blockquote
    will win it no matter batting or bowling
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Len, I'll bet you any sum you care to name. I say England will win this match for sure by batting again.
    £10 to the upbeats then.

If England win this test I'll pay it if they don't you pay it.

I need to know how to pay though as I don't at the moment.

I don't really know why I'm betting because I can understand the thinking and it SHOULD work.

It's worth it though as the Upbeats benefit either way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    By batting again we guarantee at least a 300 leads (that's if everything goes totally pear-shaped and we're all out 70), which Australia would have to chase down on a turning wicket having not managed to score that sort of total so far in the series.

If we had put them in and by some miracle they'd scored 400-500 hundred, we'd be chasing a dodgy total, late in the game and could quite easily lose it.

So by batting again we virtually guarantee we can't lose (it takes 2 great performances, one with bat, one with ball for Aus to even have a chance), whilst if we enforced the follow on we'd make live unnecessarily uncomfortable should Aus put on a few runs (i.e. 1 great performance with the bat).

By the number the only option was to bat, forcing Aus to follow on could only ever lead to potential trouble.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

£10 to the upbeats then.

If England win this test I'll pay it if they don't you pay it.

I need to know how to pay though as I don't at the moment.

I don't really know why I'm betting because I can understand the thinking and it SHOULD work.

It's worth it though as the Upbeats benefit either way.
    You're on :-)
  • Options
    I am thst confident in our bowlers I would have believed we would skittle tem for less than 250
  • Options

I am thst confident in our bowlers I would have believed we would skittle tem for less than 250

I agree, but the current England management are cautious. They'd rather take the game away from Australia, completely remove the chance of default and win by a hundred or two hundred runs, than take a risk and win it by an innings.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    22-1 Eng lead by 255.

Cook b Siddle 8
  • Options
    Oh dear.

Capt Cook fails again....
  • Options
    22-2 Trott gone
  • Options
    Oh dear!
  • Options
    We've already got enough
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Start off by saying there is 147 posts on this thread since I last looked.

Other than the fact that we may have taken another couple of Aussie wickets tonight, and the game may have been finished by Tea tomorrow, can anyone else, in one sentence please, explain why we didn't ask them to bat again, OTHER than the fact that Lords had sold all tickets for 5 days, there will be food, drink, merchandise.....etc to sell on these 5 days and the fact that that It Is The Ashes, and if we can beat them in 2/3 days show them who's top.

[EDIT] Oops: 23-2. See they might have been........