Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2nd Ashes Test at Lords

Comments

• Options
    What a day! All that for £30. Brilliant.
  • Options
    see should have bowled them all out yesterday and not wasted our time batting how much of a hiding would that have been if they didn't even have to bat a 2nd innings
  • Options

Off_it said:

Do those fellas stand there in the Long Room all day?

Doesn't seem like much of a view through the sash windows.

And, how does the seating get arranged outside: First come first served ?

Spoke to an old fella with the bacon and egg tie in a boozer on abbey road on thursday and he was queuing up from 5.30am and was 50th or so in the queue . It is a first come first served basis , they can't reserve seats
  • Options
    We trod them into the dust, Root got a score in. Bresnan got his hands on the bat and picked up some wickets. That was business. Not pretty, but like putting a wounded animal down, needed to be done by the book.

Third test we need to put on a show.
  • Options
    I don't think we need to put on a show. They're an absolute fucking shambles, but I don't give a monkeys how we beat them. Another win exactly like today would do just as well, thanks, followed by two more after that.
  • Options
    It was hope rather than expectation leroy. I'd actually like to enjoy some of it in cricketing terms. Don't think for a second I'm not enjoying this humiliation on several levels however.
  • Options
    As am I. Lovely to see them get utterly pasted. Clarke's been giving t the old 'England played well, we've got to pick ourselves up and get back in the fight' routine quite well so far, but I think he looked seriously pissed off being interviewed by Atherton at close today. I think that dressing room must be absolutely brutal. Rogers and Hughes failed utterly again, Watson did his usual idiotic trick of flashing the ball around then losing his mind and chucking that pad out like a semaphore flag again, Clarke himself looks in reasonable nick but is making stupid decisions because of the pressure and if it wasn't for decent spells from Siddle, Pattinson and Harris they would have been utterly annihilated. In fact, if their bowling wasn't as halfway decent as it is they would be - by some distance - the worst test playing nation outside Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.
  • Options
    True. If not for the agar stumping decision they'd have been out for 120... Two thumpings later its a trashing. Rogers is a journeyman. Watson was apparently reviewed 7lbws and lost them all. They have the arrogance of old and the ability that not even 90s england - with Peter such - fell to. It's like watching a Hitler Downfall parody written by hitler. It's hard to fathom
  • Options
    did I see someone run into an England player on a highlight clip I watched through a pub window whilst out on my runs
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Why are people moaning about an extra 30 minutes or so?

Get em out in the field, then declare and make their openers pad up and come straight out again.

Or is it just that people like to moan?

This will be over today, with a day to spare. When it is I'd like to think that people will come back on to say that Cook got it right. It isn't just about winning this game, it's about killing them for the rest of the series. And long may it continue.

Wow! good post fella ;)

• Sponsored links:

• Options

did I see someone run into an England player on a highlight clip I watched through a pub window whilst out on my runs

Yeah one of the Aussie batsmen (Khawaja at a guess) run in to Swann, it was an accident but a pretty clumsy one because the aussie wasn't running in a straight line or looking where he was going , he was just desperate to get in and help reduce the 582 run deficit :-)
  • Options
    absolutely marvellous... Cant wait for England to come over here for summer ... gonna be glorious ...
  • Options
    Covered End I've paid me dues!

:-)

http://www.justgiving.com/TheCharltonUpbeats
  • Options
    Well done Len.
  • Options
    Thanks again to 'Riviera' on a previous post a few weeks ago for giving the 'heads up' about the ticket 'returns'. First visit to Lords, great day out, great weather, great cricket, great seat (front row Mound Stand), great banter with the surrounding Aussies and of course a great result.

Result!!
  • Options
    i want to see a big score from the skip next time round
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Well done Len.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Well played Len.
  • Options
    Aussies losing one of their decent batsmen/bowlers in Pattinson due to a back injury according to the Beeb...
  • Options

Aussies losing one of their decent batsmen/bowlers in Pattinson due to a back injury according to the Beeb...

As he's bowled poorly in two Tests to date that could be an improvement.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mitchell Johnson will be back
  • Options
    Is that meant to make our batsmen worried? Bring it on Mitch!
  • Options

But he's looked one of their best batsman, very correct. And with talk of Agar being dropped (his bowling isn't good enough), that would be another decent lower order batsman out of the team...
  • Options

Mitchell Johnson will be back

he bowls to the left... he bowls to the riiiiight...
  • Options
    Pattinson's injury weakens the Aussie batting.
  • Options
    No surprise on Pattinson, the bloke is made out of fine China and rarely plays more than two Tests before getting crocked.

They will probably bring Mitchell Starc back in, I doubt they'll bring in Jackson Bird as he is too similar to Harris.

Agar has been found out, that 98 was pure fluke, and his bowling is not even County standard, Lyon - a modest offie - will come in for the rest of the series.
  • Options

But he's looked one of their best batsman, very correct. And with talk of Agar being dropped (his bowling isn't good enough), that would be another decent lower order batsman out of the team...
    Yep, I understand he bats higher in grade cricket and was a recognised batsman in age group cricket, but he's really there to take wickets.

Every time I've seen Pattinson bowl before this he's looked good, genuinely fast and hostile, but in these two Tests he has looked pretty rank. But I wonder if he's lost Clarke's confidence? Australia opened with Watson rather than Pattinson in the second innings. A strange decision not to give your fastest bowler first go with the new ball. In fact I think he was second change - coming on after Siddle?

Harris looks unfit as well, he bowled well in the first innings, but had shot his bolt thereafter.

Starc has a touch of the Mitchell Johnson's about his bowling - a few world class deliveries surrounded by junk.

Agar is ok, but he was outbowled not just by Swann (fair enough) but also by Root. But it's asking a lot of a kid who was playing his second Test and 12th ever FC match to lead the bowling. He's not ready to be a Test bowler just yet.

Oh dear...

• Options

Yep, I understand he bats higher in grade cricket and was a recognised batsman in age group cricket, but he's really there to take wickets.

Every time I've seen Pattinson bowl before this he's looked good, genuinely fast and hostile, but in these two Tests he has looked pretty rank. But I wonder if he's lost Clarke's confidence? Australia opened with Watson rather than Pattinson in the second innings. A strange decision not to give your fastest bowler first go with the new ball. In fact I think he was second change - coming on after Siddle?

Harris looks unfit as well, he bowled well in the first innings, but had shot his bolt thereafter.

Starc has a touch of the Mitchell Johnson's about his bowling - a few world class deliveries surrounded by junk.

Agar is ok, but he was outbowled not just by Swann (fair enough) but also by Root. But it's asking a lot of a kid who was playing his second Test and 12th ever FC match to lead the bowling. He's not ready to be a Test bowler just yet.

Oh dear...

Harris is basically playing with a crocked right knee, barely trains or does anything outside actual matches as the rest of the time is spent managing the injury so he can be on the field.

Not that far off Flintoff's position in 2008-09, except that Harris came into the international game late so is desperate to keep playing for a couple more years.
  • Options
    Harris is also carrying a lot of timber. That can't help the knee situation. FWIW, I actually think Pattinson has had a couple of decent spells in the first two tests. He just doesn't look genuinely threatening to me. Starc was dreck for 95% of the first test, but I expect they'll bring him back in for OT - unless they're seriously considering two spinners.

God help them if Cook and Trott remember how to bat - they'll be annihilated.
  • Options
    Think Starc was a bit unlucky to be dropped, so can see him coming back in for Pattinson.