Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Semi Ajayi HAS gone TO Norwich (scratch that, Arsenal, more scratching, Cardiff)

Comments

• Options
    You should definitely wait until you know the facts before you slag him off. If he's on trial it might be with the club's blessing, we don't know.

Anyone know if he's covered by EPPP, or is that not a consideration as he's a pro now?
  • Options
    He hasn't fully left yet as he is still in the cafc.com squad list, agree it's probably a trial... fingures crossed we get something out off this, hopefully him staying...
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

You should definitely wait until you know the facts before you slag him off. If he's on trial it might be with the club's blessing, we don't know.

Anyone know if he's covered by EPPP, or is that not a consideration as he's a pro now?

he's on a pro contract so EPPP doesn't come into it.
  • Options
    He may well have been out of contract this summer, but I'd guess we'd still get some compensation?
  • Options
    If you were Ajayi and thought you were going to be in a scrap for 4th choice with Feely you would be pretty cheesed off with the arrival of Wood and the message that sends for your chances of progressing.

I don't know what to think really. Over the years I've read that this youngster or that is set to be the next Messi only to see them struggle to get a game at Margate a year or so later.

Trust in SCP I guess.
  • Options
    If I was Ajayi I wouldn't think I'd stand a better chance of breaking through in a Prem side.
  • Options
    Why worry if we lose a semi if we've got wood? I'll get me coat.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Ha ha! That's excellent!

• Options

seth plum said:

Ha ha! That's excellent!

I agree , brilliant Seth.

As for Semi moving to pastures new, so what ... Noone appears to slag the club off for taking nine year olds and then casting them off when they don't match the clubs needs.

Maybe the club have sent him to Norwich on trial with their blessing, maybe he is jumping ship. maybe he is staying ... get over it, that's football and to be honest that's life. How many people on here have developed skills with their employers and used those skills to get better jobs with better pay with someone else.

Defoe was different his move breached league rules.
  • Options
    He has every right to play with them if he is out of contract or if it has been done with the clubs blessing.

He would be a fool to hang around as a 5th/6th choice centre back in the Championship when he has a chance to break into the Premiership at a young age. Good luck to him I say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2013
    You can't expect loyalty from any player if they are on short term contracts. For me that applies to anyone on a one year deal or less.
  • Options
    You sure it's him? I heard he was missing because he was with Nigeria U21's.
  • Options
    I'm going to wait until Matt Wright confirms or denies it on the OS

; - )
  • Options
    There's something not right about this.

I'm pretty sure that Ajayi is under a pro contract - or was.

If so he can only be playing at Norwich with the club's agreement. If he isn't under contract then he was either released in the summer or considered not good enough to be put under contract.

It would be strange that a player who has a number of U19/U20 caps for Nigeria is not considered good enough for a Championship club, yet is getting a trial at Norwich.
  • Options
    Red7Oak said:

You sure it's him? I heard he was missing because he was with Nigeria U21's.

A quick scan of the web indicates that Ajayi last played for the Nigeria U-21s on 6 June at the World Youth Festival in Toulon.

• Options

There's something not right about this.

I'm pretty sure that Ajayi is under a pro contract - or was.

If so he can only be playing at Norwich with the club's agreement. If he isn't under contract then he was either released in the summer or considered not good enough to be put under contract.

It would be strange that a player who has a number of U19/U20 caps for Nigeria is not considered good enough for a Championship club, yet is getting a trial at Norwich.

He could have turned down an offer and received interest from other clubs.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Kap10 said:

seth plum said:

Ha ha! That's excellent!

As for Semi moving to pastures new, so what ... Noone appears to slag the club off for taking nine year olds and then casting them off when they don't match the clubs needs.

Maybe the club have sent him to Norwich on trial with their blessing, maybe he is jumping ship. maybe he is staying ... get over it, that's football and to be honest that's life. How many people on here have developed skills with their employers and used those skills to get better jobs with better pay with someone else.

Yeah, props to Seth.

Football's not the same as most jobs though Kap. The kid has 10 years of training and development from us without actually doing a single day's work. ie. playing a game for the first team. When you develop skills at work it's while you're doing a job of work for them. You don't owe your employer anything. That's not the case with footballers.
  • Options
    Hard to comment when I know nothing of the background. As far as I was aware all the kids had contracts running out this summer and there has been absolutely no news about whether any of them have re-signed. Shame to lose a guy I had high hopes for.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Brilliant!! ha ha
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Kap10 said:

seth plum said:

Ha ha! That's excellent!

Yeah, props to Seth.

Football's not the same as most jobs though Kap. The kid has 10 years of training and development from us without actually doing a single day's work. ie. playing a game for the first team. When you develop skills at work it's while you're doing a job of work for them. You don't owe your employer anything. That's not the case with footballers.
    Many of the employers I have worked for would disagree.

Alternatively, You could argue though that whilst clubs give them training and develop their skills and make them marketable, the kids give up their youth and for most they are then dumped in the scrape heap.

Anyway its an interesting philosophical debate regarding development of talent and child exploitation, which may be best served in a different thread at a different time.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We've had decent youngsters leave at the drop of a hat for bigger clubs even when we were in the Prem, and now someone does it people shit themselves.
  • Options
    One of our players shows up on someone else's teamsheet. Charlton appear to be losing a promising young player. Surely that's worth comment on a Charlton forum?
  • Options

Honestly, the loyalty within youngsters is pathetic. I do hope if norwich decide against buying him we don't just let him come straight back in. Sell him to someone else

if a club decides to get rid of a youngster, there is rarely any mercy shown ... contract expired? .. thanks son, see you, all the best. There may be some help in adjusting to 'the real world' but rarely enough.
    It's not ideal but if a youngster is aiming for the top he can't be really blamed for going for the best club, best offer
  • Options
    Maybe he never saw himself getting a chance here. Mambo never appeared in a league game, but did well in League 1 last season. Kevin Feely is nearly 21 but no more than 5th choice.
  • Options

Honestly, the loyalty within youngsters is pathetic. I do hope if norwich decide against buying him we don't just let him come straight back in. Sell him to someone else

if a club decides to get rid of a youngster, there is rarely any mercy shown ... contract expired? .. thanks son, see you, all the best. There may be some help in adjusting to 'the real world' but rarely enough.
    It's not ideal but if a youngster is aiming for the top he can't be really blamed for going for the best club, best offer
    But it's the club that's invested in the player with coaching and money. It's like being upset when you don't quite get to the end of an audition process or go through a few interviews and a training day only to find out you haven't got the job. The club doesn't have to spend it's money training and developing anyone.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

One of our players shows up on someone else's teamsheet. Charlton appear to be losing a promising young player. Surely that's worth comment on a Charlton forum?

It is and i don't see people shitting themselves over it either. You have got to worry when a youngster leave for another club after we have nurtured him for years. If you take it to extremes and they all leave at 18 then that is detrimental to the first team especially when we have no money to strengthen. The youth is our future. Plus some fans start to think why bother with Valley Gold if I'm never going to see them progress to the first team, after all that is the main aim of VG not ticket priority or a season ticket discount.

• Options
    Why would he stay? He's not playing here and a Premier League club have offered him (I imagine) more money and a better level. It's frustrating when the 16 year olds are poached as they're not ready yet but Ajayi is at an age where he might expect to be playing and he seems to be behind Feely in the pecking order.
  • Options
    When even the senior pros are (essentially) only on one year deals then I can understand a young player looking around for a little more security in their job.
  • Options
    think he only got offered 6 months.... so can't blame the lad, depends whether he gets opportunity to break into 1st team or ends up languishing in reserves...grass isn't always greener!

• Options
    It's sometimes best to move on when you are starting your career whatever it is. I doubt Semi could see much light at the end of the tunnel and thought he needed to protect his status as a professional footballer and progress his career as best he could. I assume SCP isn't distraught by SA moving on and on that basis nor am I. Good luck to the lad though.