Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Semi Ajayi HAS gone TO Norwich (scratch that, Arsenal, more scratching, Cardiff)

Comments

• Options
    Charlton's biggest asset at the moment is Sir Chris, I believe Semi would become a much better player by learning from teacher Chris.
  • Options
    Am sorry to see Semi go, have followed his career for 2/3 years and I had high hopes for him. He is big strong and quick, has many of the qualities that Richard Rufus had. But with four first team Centre halfs and Lennon and Feely, also Gomes coming through. His chances of first team action will be limited.
  • Options
    Gomes is the one to keep. He's going to be special.

We had a triallist from Southend yesterday - it's the food chain of football. Ajayi is probably on 1or 2k a week with us. If he goes to the premier he'll double that with ease.
  • Options
    I think its entirely possible he wont even be on a grand a week to be honest. No chance he's earning 100k plus at £2k per week.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

We had a triallist from Southend yesterday - it's the food chain of football. Ajayi is probably on 1or 2k a week with us. If he goes to the premier he'll double that with ease.

1-2 k per week sounds like the era of Padew, i suspect our youth are on a lot less than that these days. Isn't the average 1st team sa;lary something like £3k or was that just in L1?
  • Options
    Perhaps Norwich are following up interest, after one of their scouts saw him play for Nigeria?

"Semi Ajayi’s participation in the prestigious Toulon Tournament is over following Nigeria U20s’ 2-1 defeat to Portugal"

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20130607-tournament-exit-for-ajayi-857799.aspx#AqHUhi25Hh4XRpLD.99
  • Options
    Ok 1-2 k may be a bit much - though Mambo is rocking a very nice - and not inexpensive BMW these days.

They aren't exactly pikey broke but 3 or 4k a week to someone like Norwich would be peanuts
  • Options
    WSS said:

I think its entirely possible he wont even be on a grand a week to be honest. No chance he's earning 100k plus at £2k per week.

Make you right. Can't see how he'd be on even 500 quid a week.

• Options

WSS said:

Make you right. Can't see how he'd be on even 500 quid a week.

I think i remember hearing from one of my best mates that knows scott wagstaff that he was on 30k a year before he became a regular in the side under Parky.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lets be honest guys, it's well and truly in his prerogative to get a new club at this stage in his career.

It's a shame, and I can completely understand everyone who's saying that this is a bad thing. However, I can't understand some of the negativity and comments aimed at him as a person.

Let's quickly look at the facts:

- He's approaching 20 and yet to get any game time with the first squad
    - He seems pretty accomplished with regards to international caps
    - The team he belongs to has only really strengthened this year with regards to his position, with two more players pushing him further down the order (!!!)

It's pretty fair to say he's got ability and he's at an age where he needs to develop on the pitch now, and that wont happen here if we now have Dervite, Cort, Morrison, Feely and Wood all in his position. If he can find somewhere else which will allow him to develop on the pitch - then that's brilliant.
    If you want to look at in general workplace terms, imagine signing up to an Apprenticeship at 16 to be an electrician. You learn the ins and outs of the trade, you put the effort in and you become really good at your chosen profession. You get all your certificates and you're ready to do the job!

Then after qualifying you find nothing has changed, you're still following your boss around and being told the same things, given the same menial tasks and not really trusted with a chance to show you are capable of doing what you've spent a couple of years learning. Furthermore, despite being qualified to do this job - you're still on minimum wage. And, to make matters worse? Your boss is now hiring other electricians - essentially resigning you to what you're currently doing, and it looks like you've reached the top of where you can go.

Say a job pops up for a qualified sparky, would it be wrong to go for it? Yeah, your boss has invested time and money in educating you, he's taught you a lot and without him you wouldn't be where you are now. But what was the point of the boss doing all of that if you're not going to use that knowledge? It's a waste for both of you, and additionally it's just plain frustrating for you too.
    A footballer passing out of our Academy and going to play at another team may not be the best example of it's results, but this has the potential for it to be another demonstration of producing Premier League talent. It's arguably better than some of the other lads that come out and end up at the bottom of the pile.. or not even playing!

I'm sure if he was on trial at some League Two outfit there wouldn't be much outcry, it would be a case of "Poor guy, a shame it hasn't worked out for him.". In this case however it could work out for him, sadly that may be elsewhere.

So whilst I'm not jumping for joy at the thought of us losing one of our prospects, I can see why he may feel like this is his best opportunity - and I'm rooting for the lad. I hope everything works out for him and he makes it in the game. If we don't get compensated for it? That's not his fault, that likely means he wasn't offered a contract - and that is purely the clubs fault. On the other hand, if he is under contract then the club will have given him permission for this trial.

That said, I would like to see him breakthrough here - I just can't see it, and perhaps neither can he.
  • Options
    Thats a good, objective post LuckyReds.

To be honest, I think some people are just using this to have yet another dig at the club, as if this somehow proves that everything that's been said is right.

If he's played a trial for Norwich then presumably it's with our blessing, if he's under contract. If he's not under contract then who can blame him?!
  • Options
    I'm not particularly au fait with the new rules but if he is under contract to us can't a Cat. A academy still just sign him and pay the pre arranged compensation? If he is not under contract then he has been released and can do what he likes. If he is there with our permission then a transfer must be on the cards and we will get a fee. Is this right?
  • Options

Charlton's biggest asset at the moment is Sir Chris, I believe Semi would become a much better player by learning from teacher Chris.

Who only has 11 months left on his contract...
  • Options
    The success rate of youth to 1st team squad is always low so casualties are abound so why should we be upset when a young un strives to succeed elsewhere?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I'm not sure he's been poached. If madadd is right we were willing to give him another 6 months to prove himself. Powell wanted/now has 4 senior CBs. We signed Feely in January, offered Lennon a pro deal and Gomez may well sign pro with us when he's 17.

He probably thinks he can do better than that so has looked at his options. Being a Nigerian u20 international and part of a successful u21 side last season he's shown he's a decent player so Norwich have taken him on trial.

I don't think we can assume Norwich will offer him a contract. He might even end up back here. If Norwich don't like the look of him he could easily end up at a club smaller than us.

Saw Mambo a lot more at a similar age, but from what I have seen Ajayi didn't strike me as player that will definitely make it at Prem/Champ level. Potential yes, but that's the case for all our young pro's. Norwich are probably just having a look, just as we have done with those trialists in the U21 games.

If we offered him a contract equal or greater than his previous one I think we'll be entitled to compensation?
  • Options
    @RichCawleySLP: Central defender Semi Ajayi trialling with Norwich City after rejecting six-month deal at #cafc.

@RichCawleySLP: #cafc will not get compensation if/when he joins another club as they only offered the youngster a short-term contract.
  • Options
    If he is the prospect some have said he is (and I can't comment as never seen him play, but his Nigeria call up is impressive) why would we only offer six months ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

If he is the prospect some have said he is (and I can't comment as never seen him play, but his Nigeria call up is impressive) why would we only offer six months ?

Because we're broke
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Yes, that doesn't sound like Powell was that bothered about him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

se9addick said:

Because we're broke
    We'd be less broke if we were getting a fee from Norwich !
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Because every decent young player is hyped up by someone as a great prospect.

It won't be down to money, he won't be earning much. There's only room for so many young players in one position - he's 20 this season and we've also got Feely, Lennon and Gomez coming through.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

se9addick said:

Because every decent young player is hyped up by someone as a great prospect.

It won't be down to money, he won't be earning much. There's only room for so many young players in one position - he's 20 this season and we've also got Feely, Lennon and Gomez coming through.
    agree, if he was that good then he would have been offered a longer deal-evidently feely, lennon and gomez are better prospects and we shoudn't be too worried if he leaves
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Ajayi is no. 6 in the pecking order, so a 6-month contract is not very enticing. You're right about Gomez. I hope we don't play him in the Youth Cup team before he signs pro forms. Then it's open season for all the scouts, that's how we lost Kasey Palmer.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Ajayi is no. 6 in the pecking order, so a 6-month contract is not very enticing. You're right about Gomez. I hope we don't play him in the Youth Cup team before he signs pro forms. Then it's open season for all the scouts, that's how we lost Kasey Palmer.
    Young Gomez has already played in the Youth Cup. In the same game that Palmer had a blinder against Chelsea
  • Options
    Edwards did as well, and there was talk of him going to Man Utd or City a few months back. I'm not sure we'll see anymore u16s featuring in youth cup games from now on.
  • Options
    http://www.soccernews.com/norwich-closing-in-on-hooper/124374/

Ajayi has signed according to this, so no longer on trial. Could well be a big loss, I just hope he doesn't come back to haunt us.
  • Options
    Well spotted, Woody. That seems pretty conclusive.
  • Options

http://www.soccernews.com/norwich-closing-in-on-hooper/124374/

Ajayi has signed according to this, so no longer on trial. Could well be a big loss, I just hope he doesn't come back to haunt us.

If he comes back to haunt us in the premier league that may be more acceptable than haunting us in a league 1 game.
  • Options
    So this guy leaves for Norwich because he's unlikely to get game time with us being so far down the pecking order. That tells me we have a better midfield than at least one premiership club. And our defence is highly rated . . . . so what does that leave?