Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Semi Ajayi HAS gone TO Norwich (scratch that, Arsenal, more scratching, Cardiff)

Comments

• Options
    No, as we didn't offer him a long enough contract
  • Options
    It still seems odd, that a player we offered a bare minimum contract to, the sort you offer to a marginal academy prospect that may not be good enough, ends up at Arsenal with a 2 year contract. Obviously Arsenal can afford to take a punt, as the cost of their Academy is peanuts when compared to, say, an Ozil, but still strange.
  • Options

With the lack of depth in Arsenal's squad at the back, he's probably nearer the 1st team than he would be at The Valley! After all, they had to play Sagna at CB on Saturday, and it's hard to imagine Jenkinson playing the number of games he's play at any other Pl club.

Quoting myself, it's worth noting that Arsenal's bench tonight had an 18 year old CB Isaac Hayden, and a 17 year old forward Chuba Akpom...Carl Jenkinson is a veteran compared with those 2!
  • Options
    When the title of the thread was changed I was disappointed the words 'has' and 'to' weren't added also ;)
  • Options
    Paul Green ‏@NewsShopperSprt 29s

#cafc manager Chris Powell was reluctant to sharte his views on the news Arsenal had signed former Valley youngster Sami Ajayi #afc

Paul Green ‏@NewsShopperSprt 7s

CP: Good luck to him. I hope it works out for him but that is all I will say on the matter because he is a young player #cafc

hmmm..........
  • Options
    That's mysterious from CP. I agree with killerandflash, it is very odd that we'd offer him 6 months and Arse offer him 2 years. Can't understand it.

Really liked the look of him in what little I saw of him.
  • Options
    I read that as Semi is a bit of an arsehole but he's got a move to arsenal so good luck to him.
  • Options
    Looks like CP had a beef with him, presumably he could not be reformed, except by Wenger.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Looks like CP had a beef with him, presumably he could not be reformed, except by Wenger.

Or CP had a beef with someone else for not offering him more than 6 months

• Options
    buckshee said:

Kap10 said:

Well Norwich weren't interested either. The way things have been going, if Arsenal had rejected him, would Barcelona have snapped him up instead!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

buckshee said:

Kap10 said:

Well Norwich weren't interested either. The way things have been going, if Arsenal had rejected him, would Barcelona have snapped him up instead!
    We don't actually know Norwich did not want him, he may have been offered the Arse trial whilst with them and decided to try his luck
    buckshee said:

Kap10 said:

Fair point!
  • Options
    gunnerblog ‏@gunnerblog 51s

Seems Semi Ajayi trained with the first team today. Swift progress for the lad released from Charlton.

We could end up massively regretting this decision...
  • Options
    We didn't reject Ajayi. The Club offered him a short contract he wanted a longer one. So he exercised his right to get a longer contract elsewhere. I have said for a number of years that he has got most of the attributes that you need in a centre half. Pace, ability in the air and a strong tackle. The only thing that is missing is his distribution. But he is at the right club to help him with that. I am not surprised that he is training with the first team as I have posted on here many times over the years he was one of the youngsters I thought would make it.
  • Options
    On the bench for the Gooners tonight ...
  • Options
    Not bad, a youth player that left us, not played for Arsenal yet, and he has three threads going tonight
  • Options
    Move on
  • Options

Move on

Indeed.

Out of contract this Summer and currently on trial with Sunderland. Played in their U21s yesterday.
  • Options
    Sign him back! Liked him lots.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Vincenzo said:

Sign him back! Liked him lots.

Don't think I've seen him play in the the accademy sides but if I did he didn't leave a lasting impression. Didn't work out for Danny Green and not looking too good for Wilson at the moment, just saying like.

Again one for the future, we need Championship players who can hit the ground running, oh what's the point. :-(
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Played on trial for Ipswich today. Not surprised he hasn't broken through at Arsenal, I wasn't convinced he would have broken through here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I can see him pitching up at Millwall.
  • Options

Hi can see him pitching up at Millwall.

hey there :)
  • Options
    If we want to attract good young players and encourage them to stay, we should use examples like this, alongside the numbers that have got first team football sticking with us!!!!
  • Options

If we want to attract good young players and encourage them to stay, we should use examples like this, alongside the numbers that have got first team football sticking with us!!!!

Not share that would convince many compared with the numbers they have in their pay packet
  • Options
    We need a centre half (or two).

Anyone seen him play since he's been at Arsenal?
  • Options

Not sure he is a good example. Do you really think SA should have signed a 6 month contract at Charlton ahead of a 2 year one at Arsenal? I got the feeling at the time we had a choice of him or Feeley to offer a proper deal to as we were skint, we went for Feeley (only a guess mind).

He will have had some great experiences, had the safety of a longer contract, probably on more money. It was a good choice for him.

All that being said, I would be very happy to have him back now.
  • Options

Yes I saw him and I thought he did well. He even got himself on the fringes of the First Team. I would have him back in a heartbeat. If we get an experienced centre half as well that would be good.

• Options
    dickplumb said:

Yes I saw him and I thought he did well. He even got himself on the fringes of the First Team. I would have him back in a heartbeat. If we get an experienced centre half as well that would be good.

How do you rate him compared to Obileye ?
  • Options

dickplumb said:

How do you rate him compared to Obileye ?
    I have always rated him. I haven't seen enough of Obileye to give you a comparison. But Ajayi is good in the air and quick.