Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Froch v Groves

Comments

• Options
    I like brook but there is something missing from him I just don't get
  • Options
    http://boxingnewsonline.net/latest/blog/kell-brook-will-take-on-vyacheslav-senchenko

'Well, they promised us a big name and as it turns out we may have a long one into the bargain (or, ‘instead of’): Vyacheslav Senchenko is almost certain to oppose Kell Brook in the latter’s Sheffield hometown at the end of October, with his agent revealing the deal is “nearly done” for a 12-rounder at the 147lbs welterweight limit. The Ukrainian is a decent enough opponent and undoubtedly enhanced his profile in knocking out the comebacking Ricky Hatton last year, but after rumours suggested the likes of Shane Mosley and Victor Ortiz could be Kell’s next foe, this ‘news’ is just a tiny bit anti-climactic.'
  • Options
    indeed
  • Options
    no real contest for kell there
  • Options
    The problem with Kell Brook is that he talks like he's the uncrowned champion of the division but has fought no-one of note. Alexander would've been a massive step up, but that hasn't come through for him so he's back fighting top 20-50 level.
  • Options
    Having had a think about it I think Groves has got some real nuts taking on Froch but it is a winnable fight. Tough, but winnable.

Nolly is bang on, froch will look to spring on groves first chance he gets and Groves has not been under that sort of pressure before. Froch can only do that though if there is an opening and Groves ain't daft I can see him prodding a left jab out an circling for 12 rounds. Forget what Froch said in the press conference he won't want to stand and trade with Groves for the whole fight, and he knows how much he struggled against dirrell, Taylor and ward who are all well ring crafty.

I will be sticking a tenner on Groves over 12 rounds as I think he can pinch rounds from carl unless froch backs groves up and stops him.

Best fight for for British boxing since Haye v Maccarinelli
  • Options
    edited July 2013

I like brook but there is something missing from him I just don't get

I have often thought this. He has all the skills but i am not sure he really wants it, his body language is sometimes reluctant. The big fights are coming and we will find out when he fights an ortiz or mosley etc. He has immense talent but he is yet to be tested by a world class operator.

• Options
    Massive respect to both fighters for taking this fight at this stage of their careers. Froch could have padded his record with some mugs and Groves could have schooled that prat DeGale again.

Love the way both of them fight, and think this is very close - too close to call, in fact. If I was a betting man, I'd say Froch on points.

Really, really looking forward to it.
  • Options
    I'd give Groves a squeak at this.
  • Options
    Probably my two favourite UK boxers, I would prefer Groves to win it though, there's something about the way Froch talks down to people that I don't like whereas Groves comes across as a true professional at all times outside the ring, especially when faced with Defail.

I'm a bit confused how Groves can be ranked as a number 1 contender without fighting someone ranked in the top 15? Surely there would be some sort of eliminator before facing Froch?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Groves has no need to fight degale , if he takes the fight he would knock degale out this time rd but degale is so full of his own shit he would fall hook line and sinker for groves silky skills and power,but groves don't need to do that again

Groves is a real favourite of mine and I am torn because I love Froch but St George is so good to watch , he is a real prowling tiger in the ring
  • Options
    hate to say this but degale has also improved and could beat bika or the wbo champ, groves would beat him but both have improved, what groves has is he is a ticket seller
  • Options
    He is that nolly

Very likeable boxer, and you are right De Gale would beat Bika but he don't have any pull. He sells few tickets and will end up as an opponent for Ward in what could potentially be one of the most dull fights in history.

I'm pretty torn I have hug respect for Froch and have a lot of love for ginger georgie too. If its at the O2 I will wager groves' odds will shorten
  • Options
    i think degale will be moved towards bika they will be wise to keep him away from ward, bika will come to england for very little
  • Options
    got to want groves to win, london and very likeable
  • Options
    Degale ward would be a yawnathon
  • Options
    Tony Bellew has a world title fight set up vs the winner of Stevenson/Cloud too. Hearns' camp looks to be doing pretty well atm!
  • Options
    Keeping quiet on this because I know far less than the normal posters on boxing posts. This is what I want from boxing - I don't know the result, or can't guess. Froch has never hidden, unlike my favourite boxer Lewis, and Groves could take an easier route up.
    Forget Defail. This is a fight between two British boxers putting it on the line. Will be good to watch as well
  • Options
    anyone seen the Ringside programme on Sky Sports?

do these two really hate each other that much or is it all to add to the occasion?

wouldn't have thought there'd be problems selling tickets so why the animosity?

Groves seem really confident to me and I can't work out whether Froch is saving it for the ring or is genuinely worried about a younger opponent?
  • Options
    It was a little uncomfortable, not the usual David Haye style theatrics. I don't think it was put on, I think he's got under Froch's skin. The only question is whether that is a good thing, or not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2013
    It looked like Froch was ready to smack him when Groves kept asking if he was crying. Funny stuff
  • Options
    Froch doesn't like him and george knows how to push his buttons can't wait for this fight even if my seats are with st georges entourage I am firmly in the froch camp , georges time will come
  • Options
    Groves has certainly got under his skin. Think this fight might have come a little too early for George tho I can see him winning world title within the next 2 years. Froch is a worthy world champion and I expect him to win this one but I do find him very annoying and extremely arrogant in the way he comes across.
  • Options
    Froch prides himself on being some sort of warrior who commands respect, which I think is very arrogant and unlikeable. Groves has pushed his buttons, I like the comment about Carl's brother wanting an autograph, it's all part of the mind games which Groves is winning by a mile, although Froch fans will tell you otherwise.
  • Options
    Froch has been made to look better than he is because of a very poor division. Mcghee was walking round as world champion in that division ffs.

Groves was right when he said 'froch entered the super six and got beat twice'.

Only two fighters worth a rub and he lost to both of them.

The kessler he beat was not the same kessler in the first fight. No way.

Wouldn't be surprised if Groves beats him.

• Options

Froch has been made to look better than he is because of a very poor division. Mcghee was walking round as world champion in that division ffs.

Really? I would say a large majority of boxing fans/pundits would say that Froch has one of the most impressive CVs of any modern day boxer.

Also Magee was IBO champion from 15/06/2002 until 26/06/2004, and any time he thought anyone of any real top quality he lost.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The pundits will always big up boxers they are showing.

Its just that i mean because froch fights in world title fights doesn't mean he is fighting real world class fighters.

glen johnson
    Bute
    mack
    Abraham (good in his day)

all world title fights. But world class?

For example at welter weight you have

mayweather
    pac man
    bradley
    marquez
    kell brook
    Broner
    Alexander

Pound for pound puts the super middle weights to shame

if he was mixing with that type of calibre and winning world titles then i would agree with the fact he was à great modern fighter.

magee was wba interim title holder in 2012 which shows how weak the division is.

Just my opinion. I enjoy watching froch but i just don't think he is one of the greats.
  • Options

The pundits will always big up boxers they are showing.

Its just that i mean because froch fights in world title fights doesn't mean he is fighting real world class fighters.

glen johnson
    Bute
    mack
    Abraham (good in his day)

all world title fights. But world class?

For example at welter weight you have

mayweather
    pac man
    bradley
    marquez
    kell brook
    Broner
    Alexander

Pound for pound puts the super middle weights to shame

if he was mixing with that type of calibre and winning world titles then i would agree with the fact he was à great modern fighter.

magee was wba interim title holder in 2012 which shows how weak the division is.

Just my opinion. I enjoy watching froch but i just don't think he is one of the greats.

Where as I do agree that the Welterweight division is certainly stronger than the Super Middles, just as an example Souleymane M'baye is currently the WBA interim champion in the Welterweight division. This being the case I personally don't really think using the example as Magee being an interim belt holder can be used in anyway to argue how strong or weak Froch's CV/Division is. The interim titles are often refereed to as 'paper belts' as they really have no worth.

One thing I like about Froch, Yusuf Mack permitting, is he does not hide away trying to take the easy fights in his division.

• Options
    Oh for sure Froch doesn't duck anyone and has a proper old school style about him. It is well known in boxing that he is thought of as a pretty bitter bloke. Don't blame him as it took him ages to get recognition for what he was doing.

Groves has definitely irritated him but I don't think that will make a huge difference on the night, Groves is right about a couple of things though. Froch has one style and one style only, and Andre Ward bullied him in their fight, up close too which Froch was not expecting. Groves won't do that but I think Froch will be surprised with how hard Groves hits

For what it's worth I fancy Groves to do it, will be bloody hard but I think all this about the fight coming too early for him stuff is lazy. He is as ready as he will ever be
  • Options
    Was such a strange watch that.
    All very WWF with them sitting out the back with Eddie between them lol.

Froch definitely visually the more uncomfortable.