Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Froch v Groves

Comments

• Options
    It is mate, especially disappointing when one of the reasons UFC is so big is down to them working hard to make the best fighters face each other and being innovative in helping the judges score the fights better. They have a screen so they can still see what is happening when their view is obscured and the fighters have their backs to them.

I probably have a too rosy view about British boxing in the past and iffy decisions are nothing new but there has been some stinkers lately. At least Ricky Burns had the decency ti look embarrassed after his fight with Beltran. Froch's attitude stinks. Especially after he kicked up a fuss about getting a supposed homer decision in Denmark after the first Kessler fight.

Another very suspect bit of judging was in the Broner v Malignaggi fight recently. Boxing is gradually killing itself with things like this and dyed in the wool boxing fans are sick of it. It has no place in the modern game.
  • Options
    got it sky plused mate will watch it tonight,

i agree froch has been saying some very odd things today, the scoring i think was rigged, i just don't agree the ref was

i think that he honestly saw something in groves eyes that (wrongly) made him panic and step in

if Froch would've connected with the next shot on groves head he would've gone over, he may have got up and beat him we will now never know and that shows we have all been robbed
  • Options
    Listened to it on 5 live so all I can say is the ref was close up and if Groves eyes were rolling it was an on the spot call to avert another Benn / Watson tragedy. Disappointing for the fans and viewing public but for that I am grateful.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Listened to it on 5 live so all I can say is the ref was close up and if Groves eyes were rolling it was an on the spot call to avert another Benn / Watson tragedy. Disappointing for the fans and viewing public but for that I am grateful.

No offence, but you can't possibly make a judgement if you didn't even see the fight. Groves' eyes were not 'rolling'. Froch, on the other hand, when he walked into George's right hand in the first round, his eyes went nighty-night. If the ref was really concerned about it, by that rationale he should have stopped it then. I've watched it ad nauseum since - it's one of the worst stoppages I've ever seen - and that's with the benefit of hindsight and having slept on it.
  • Options
    No offence taken....... You're barred from the night out by the way :0)
  • Options
    you didn't even invite nolly - how can you call it a night out?
  • Options
    It's a night out, not a fight out :0)
  • Options

you didn't even invite nolly - how can you call it a night out?

Mind you @Nolly if you want to tag along feel free (peace man).
  • Options
    Got back yesterday and still as angry about the decision as I was on the night. Thought better of Eddie Hearn and matchroom but the ridiculous scorecards show that there was only ever going to be one outcome to that fight.

Only one fighter was hurt in every round, and it was Froch. The stoppage was so premature and out of the blue, no one around me had even realised what had happened for a good 20 seconds. You expect bollocks like that abroad, but to f*ck over a young English fighter in his own country is a disgrace. You could understand it if Froch had been winning round after round, but the 9th was the only time he looked at all dangerous, and even then he hadn't wobbled Groves to the point of a stoppage! GG stood and traded with him in almost every round and showed little damage other than a bruised eye. No way there'll be a rematch, Froch's one dimensional style was well and truly exposed and he'd be an idiot to do it again.

Froch showed himself to be the classless w*nker he is with his post match comments, a little bit of humility would have gone a long way at that moment but instead he couldn't help but big himself up. I hope those boos stay with him but unfortunately I think he's so deluded he genuinely believes he is loved by the entire nation
  • Options
    Really good piece on the fight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/25082565
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:

Got back yesterday and still as angry about the decision as I was on the night. Thought better of Eddie Hearn and matchroom but the ridiculous scorecards show that there was only ever going to be one outcome to that fight.

Only one fighter was hurt in every round, and it was Froch. The stoppage was so premature and out of the blue, no one around me had even realised what had happened for a good 20 seconds. You expect bollocks like that abroad, but to f*ck over a young English fighter in his own country is a disgrace. You could understand it if Froch had been winning round after round, but the 9th was the only time he looked at all dangerous, and even then he hadn't wobbled Groves to the point of a stoppage! GG stood and traded with him in almost every round and showed little damage other than a bruised eye. No way there'll be a rematch, Froch's one dimensional style was well and truly exposed and he'd be an idiot to do it again.

Froch showed himself to be the classless w*nker he is with his post match comments, a little bit of humility would have gone a long way at that moment but instead he couldn't help but big himself up. I hope those boos stay with him but unfortunately I think he's so deluded he genuinely believes he is loved by the entire nation

Agreed with every word. Thing is, it did seem to me pre-fight that a lot of people loved Froch because they didn't actually realise what a prize bellend he is. I can only assume many of those don't follow boxing that closely because if they did they'd have surely known he was a twat.
  • Options
    People like Froch because of the way he fights. He gets hit, gives the opponents plenty of chances.

Rarely in a dull fight and has fought pretty much everyone out there.

He is limited but usually finds a way to get the job done.

• Options
    the stoppage is one thing, the fact that two of the scorecards had Froch only one round behind is the worst thing about Saturday, I can forgive the ref for being over cautions, I can't forgive the judges for being wrong
  • Options
    Just wanted to say fair play to @Carter and others on here for having a lot more faith in Groves than i did. We've very few decent world level fighters so its a real shame Froch has showed himself to be a bit of a bell.

Couple of other important things that haven't been mentioned. The blonde bird in the blue dress sitting on the right as you looked was absolute filth, and secondly it seemed like there was just as much fighting outside the ring as there was in it.

@Croydon @nth_london_addick what was that all about ?
  • Options
    Love this tweet from Jason Euell straight after the fight....

"That fight was like going to Highbury, getting battered all over the place and leaving with a 4-2 win.. #Daylightrobbery "
  • Options
    There was a big scrap on the floor seats, a few blokes literally sprinted about 20 metres just to get involved. Heard somebody say afterwards it was between Forest and Chelsea?
  • Options
    during the build up to the crolla and foster fight, I was out by the bar and communial area and there was a few fellas from man citeh whom I have seen when we played them in the prem, ( I am sure fat rob knows them quite well and met us for a drink in woolwich by the asenal station one year) they had a good few younger chaps there, and they were looking for anyone who fancied a bit tbh,

some forest obliged at one stage as did a few Utd,

but on a main I found the most annoying set there were the Chelsea and East London Groves fans, just seemed your typical Charlie darling wide boys winding people up

was a great night tbf , but people sling booze and people get pissed off
  • Options
    Rothko said:

the stoppage is one thing, the fact that two of the scorecards had Froch only one round behind is the worst thing about Saturday, I can forgive the ref for being over cautions, I can't forgive the judges for being wrong

Whilst i agree that he should've been more than 1 round ahead, i don't think the fight was as one sided as Sky and Jim Watt's commentary would make you believe. He should be replaced, his bias towards Groves was beyond belief, he didnt even realise the tide was turning in the 9th until it actually happened. I'd have probably had Groves 3 rounds ahead after 8, and Froch was going to win the 9th if it hadn't been stopped.
  • Options
    I agree with Chris.

I also think Froch would have won it that round or the next as i think Groves was draining at a fast rate (he'd used up so much physical and mental energy in the first half of the fight), which Froch, to his credit seemed to have found a lease of life and a bit more dig in the 9th that he hadn't shown at earlier stages of the fight.

Doesn't matter though as everyone was cheated apart from Matchroom's bank balance.
  • Options
    Do wonder as well that Froch really needs to consider winding it in now. He has taken a hell of a lot of serious blows over the last five years
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Glad it wasn't just me. Jim Watt's commentary was awful.

Think he must have had some dough on GG.
  • Options
    anyone got a video link for the ringside interview only saw a bit on ssn
  • Options
    I think Watt mentioned that he'd visited the Groves camp in the build up so perhaps that's what led to his bias. I can normally ignore a biased commentary but Watt was so hysterical on this one it was a joke.
  • Options
    I think he'd got it into his head Groves early dominance, but then become tunnel vision with it. There were five of us watching it and we were saying he seems to be watching a different fight to us.
  • Options

anyone got a video link for the ringside interview only saw a bit on ssn

Froch only stopped talking about 20 minutes ago. The bloke with the mike let him just talk and talk and talk

• Options
    A fairly honest assessment from Hearn after the fight. Can't believe how fat Naseem is nowadays though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e92wlVnxJs
  • Options
    the interview I saw was immediately after the fight sitting next to one another ringside cant seem to find it
  • Options
    Froch's missus is so fit.