Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Middlesborough 2013 Post-match news & Views

Comments

• Options
    At least Green had a shot or two when they're keeper was injured, Kermorgant started playing left mid and Sordell was donkeying around the centre backs. Our passing was rough, lost every 5050 ball, Gower losing it on the edge of our box, Hamer losing concentration, defence dithering on the ball, Harriott running blind alleys, JJ rushed back, all around there was a lot of shit decisions and shit football today, on that basis we're in the Brown big time
  • Options
    2nd best from the first 30 seconds onwards when Telly Sallivers (Kojak) ran 20 yards without no one getting a tackle on him with Hamer grabbing his shot at the second attempt.

Boro were average but tactically were better than us ( 3 vs 2 centre mid) but thanks to Gower, Hamer and Kermorgant got the only goal of the game.

Is Sordell on loan, holiday or Gardening Leave? He made BWP look like Kip Keino for effort. I'm hoping he will improve.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

At least Green had a shot or two when they're keeper was injured, Kermorgant started playing left mid and Sordell was donkeying around the centre backs. Our passing was rough, lost every 5050 ball, Gower losing it on the edge of our box, Hamer losing concentration, defence dithering on the ball, Harriott running blind alleys, JJ rushed back, all around there was a lot of shit decisions and shit football today, on that basis we're in the Brown big time

Yeah , but one of them being a corner!
  • Options

Green is stealing a wage.

Green the scapegoat again. Looked the most likely to score just before he got taken off.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Green the scapegoat again. Looked the most likely to score just before he got taken off.
    Good one Redhenry. Wrong thread though.

• Options
    Dear Mr Powell
    Please please please please please please
    could we have a central midfield pairing with a combined age of less than 55.

Last week Gower and Hughesy nearly topped 70 and today Gower and Jacko were over 65 and in both games we were over run with Gower in particular so off the pace that it was embarrassing watching the poor old codger.

It's a bad state if affairs that we have to travel to Barnsley contemplating bringing in Cort and moving up Dervite to make a 5 man midfield in order to stop Perkins running Mr Gower ragged again!

I don't know if you have given it some thought but maybe, Mr Powell, you could apply for a bus pass for that nice old chap Gower and ship him off to Eastbourne and bring in that athletic young cub Cousins who just might be able to run from our penalty box to their penalty box without the need for oxygen thereafter.

By the way could we also have a right sided midfielder who doesn't play hide and seek with Mr Solly? Just a thought!!

Yours in sport

Jonny

• Options
    Thought Gower was best of a poor bunch tbh.
  • Options
    Dreadful display - only Dervite played okay. Green was shocking.
    Solly and Wiggins were both poor and barely noticed Kermy and Jackson were playing.
    Hard to judge Sordell given how little service he got
    Boro should have buried us. The only consolation is that there are a number of teams as poor as us in this division.
  • Options

Redhenry said:

Que?

• Options
    Very poor today, even the basics we did poorly most passes didn't meet their man and their goal was terrible, Gower lost it by trying to beat their centre forward outside our own area and then we concede from the resulting corner.

Too many poor performances today, only Dervite came out with any credit and Church looked useful when he came on. We're going to have to be a lot better than today if we want to stay in the division
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:

Redhenry said:

Que?

Jokes

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Redhenry said:

Really? From that corner he tried to score for the 500th time? He had a great chance to put us 1-0 up when the ball bobbled to him inside the box but with only the keeper to beat, he fluffed his first touch and the chance was gone sooner than it came.

He failed time and time again to beat his man and was a defensive liability, not to mention a number of misplaced passes.

He just isn't second tier quality. Pure and simple.
  • Options

Redhenry said:

Really? From that corner he tried to score for the 500th time? He had a great chance to put us 1-0 up when the ball bobbled to him inside the box but with only the keeper to beat, he fluffed his first touch and the chance was gone sooner than it came.

He failed time and time again to beat his man and was a defensive liability, not to mention a number of misplaced passes.

He just isn't second tier quality. Pure and simple.
    Then I'll mention them. He misplaced passes.

• Options
    :-)
  • Options
    A poor performance, from a similar team to that which finished last season so well. Clearly we missed Pritchard and a fit JJ, and Sordell didn't stretch their defence enough - Church looked far more dangerous.

Green was as mediocre as usual, but was shocked at how poor Wiggins was, has he been distracted by the transfer talk, and whether he's about to be flogged off?
  • Options
    We didn't have a ball winner across the entire midfield today. I'd like to see Cousins given a game.
  • Options
    Danny Green makes Lloyd Sam look like Norman Hunter. A faint heart with no bottle for the game, IMO.

Lets not hear that its the so called boo boys fault, either. When he ran to take a corner in front of the Coveted End in the second half, we clapped him despite losing. He promptly put the corner straight over the bar.

Ben Hamer needs to spend less time posing on Twitter and infront of the mirror, and get working on his crosses, because at the moment he is shit.

Less Shockwaves..more graft.
  • Options
    Posting before reading.
    Never was a winning goal more inevitable, and Boro deserved it.
    We were second best, but not abject. In my view we were poor in central midfield, but there was an improvement when Dale came on. Harriott was tucked inside for the first hour, when he went wider late on it was better. I have seen all of our lot play much better than that, and it seemed we couldn't match the energy and drive that Boro had.
    The platform for the defeat was established in the first half when Sordell and Yann were getting less and less touches, and so the ball was a stranger to them as the game progressed.
    We have some issues to try to address, and it is the responsibility of the management and the players we have to do so. Having said that, a loanee in midfield who has some command would be helpful, we will soon see Perkins of Barnsley play in that role, and we need one of our own. As I said above, witness what it was like when Dale (surprisingly for me) tried to take command at what can be done.
    We move on disappointed and looking for a response.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Don't think Green was worse than anybody else. Morrison gave the ball away lots more times and Gower can't play in a 442
  • Options
    Anyone know the "official" attendance: Don't think there was 15k in there today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:

Don't think Green was worse than anybody else. Morrison gave the ball away lots more times and Gower can't play in a 442

Check out the player scores. Most people thought he was poor to dreadful. I scored him 2 and that wasn't the lowest.

• Options

Anyone know the "official" attendance: Don't think there was 15k in there today.

14883 from memory. Looked very sparse. Lots of peeps on holiday but keep this level of performance up and thy will be leaving in droves.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2013
    Got out of the game, what we deserved. Lack lustre, disjointed, off the pace and dispiriting team and individual performances.

It is not that we lost, it is the manner that we lost in. What was worrying was the absence of quality, team cohesion and fight.

The full backs were exposed, and not helped by either Green or Harriots. Harriots is a danger, worth keeping in the team. Maybe he should have started with Wilson for solidity. Green showed why he hasn't nailed the right midfield slot. Unless, it is game time, he needs but he looks like an impact sub only.

The midfield did not look right at all. Stephens shows creative spark but you need someone behind him doing defensive duties. Gower completely failed to do that. His mistake lead to the corner that lead to the goal. Middlesborough were threatening with decent wingers but looked pretty toothless.

Sordell did not receive the ball to feet but looked completely off the pace and not that bothered about it. Occassional flashes of what might be but not enough. Not justifying his place in the team.

Would have liked to see Piggott on instead of Church, who run around a lot without achieving much, but I understand why CP might want to shield him from a disgruntled crowd response following a dysfuntional performance.

451 / 4231 should be considered. We do not appear to have the players for 442 and we need to compete in midfield.

The team at times looked completely unbalanced last season, but CP managed to find the solution. I hope he can do it again, because it did not look good today.

• Options

Redhenry said:

Check out the player scores. Most people thought he was poor to dreadful. I scored him 2 and that wasn't the lowest.

Crikey did he run over your cat or something?

• Options
    Totally outclassed in possession - Carayol was outstanding for Boro.

Bright spot was the fact that our defence only allowed a handful of half chances despite midfield providing no protection.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Being a fan of Green, I was disappointed by his display especially after playing well midweek. Poor delivery, not offering himself up on the break. Not tracking back (sometimes he was so far upfield this must have been instructed) and the shot from a corner.

But saying that he did see a lot of the ball (not a good thing when the whole team are dire) and have two shots apart from one when he reacted too slow.

Agree with RedHenry though, I don't think he was worst than the rest, Harriott for instance must have lost the ball at least 6/7 times (two good runs though) and as for Wiggins, Gower and the two upfront who despite the poor service couldn't hold the ball up when they did get it.

I do sense scapegoat too as we were poor all over the pitch today, Green just saw a lot of the ball.
  • Options
    Never enjoy criticising our lads but wasn't over impressed last Saturday and def very disappointed at today's showing.

As others have pointed out, our midfield clearly needs a rethink. Without JJ & the industry that Pritch gives we are sadly underperforming. However, I thought Gower worked hard although sadly, DG was not at the races...again. Hoped to see young Cousins given some time on the pitch but maybe next time..

More disappointing though was The Beast who looked a shadow of his former self - albeit not in a weight sense. That haircut reminded me of the loss of Samson's powers when he visited the barber. We need Yann to be playing at his optimum weight and back with his intense appetite for winning the ball & scoring as soon as possible.

No-one had a good game today but when that includes our POTY, it's even more of a concern. He deserves to have a better ally on the right than he was given this afternoon.

I'll be in France next weekend so will miss the trip to Barnsley for the 2nd season running but will be there in spirit. Let's hope that whoever is on the pitch in a Charlton shirt is there both physically & mentally & that those hardy souls who make the journey bring back 3 points to kick start our campaign.

In SCP we trust !
  • Options
    Green wasn't worse than anyone else really, but all he is in the team for is his delivery and if that isn't working there is absolutely no point of him being on the pitch. Harriot at least beat his man a couple of times and got balls in. Also Green missed a sitter which is probably why is being picked on.

As in the player marks thread, Dervite was really good and defence was solid enough in general I guess but I'd agree that Carayol looked really good and caused Solly loads of problems. Stephens impressed me as well and he lost the ball a couple of times but there didn't seem to be anyone to pass to.

I hope it is Sordell lacking on match fitness as he had a few flashes of looking good, but generally was out of the game. Kermorgant was poor as well but he took a hammering today and Woodgate was amazing against him.
  • Options
    It's no suprise that a nippy insitinctive forward would struggle at Charlton. The productivity and creation is non existent.
    As a forward, there is nothing more frustrating.
  • Options
    IMO Boro did a job on Yann. I lost count of the number of times he hit the deck today, they roughed him up and it took away the threat.