Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Middlesborough 2013 Post-match news & Views

Comments

• Options
    At least we have some time to put things right but clearly very disappointing. Even the likes of solly and wiggins and the less said about green and sordell the better. Thought church did well when he came on and he will surely get his chance at barnsley next week. What is disappointing to me is that we have lost to 2 sides i expect to be in the bottom half of the table. It could be a long hard season at this rate.
  • Options

It's no suprise that a nippy insitinctive forward would struggle at Charlton. The productivity and creation is non existent.
    As a forward, there is nothing more frustrating.

Who is this nippy insitnctive forward?
  • Options
    Didn't look like a team today apart from the defence looked to be handling things ok enough 'til a mad few minutes around the goal.
    Dervite MOM by far. Only bit of quality from us was the Harriot play and cross at start of second half that Sordell should have done better with. Same old problems of lacking decent passing and movement.

Biggest plus of the day is that so many of our players now have such beautifully couffered hair!
  • Options
    Think Hamer came/called for the ball but was blocked and Morrison (?) just headed it straight to their player.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    shirty5 said:

It's no suprise that a nippy insitinctive forward would struggle at Charlton. The productivity and creation is non existent.
    As a forward, there is nothing more frustrating.

Who is this nippy insitnctive forward?
    Anyone that would compliment Yann

Effectively, that would be Sordell. I've seen higlights of him play for Watford and Bolton and he's no slouch. Put him in a Charlton shirt and its no suprise we've not seen him produce in 2 games.
  • Options

Think Hamer came/called for the ball but was blocked and Morrison (?) just headed it straight to their player.

Yann.

• Options
    I was genuinely shocked at Yann's physical condition today.
  • Options
    I blame Airman Brown.

obviously the players had read VOTV before the game & concerned for their futures - only reason I can give for Solly & Yann being so off the pace.

I may be the only one but I'm going to stand up for Danny Green. His corners may not have been the best, but at least he tried to score & was about the only player to have a shot on target. Can't see what the point was in subbing him & bringing on Wilson..........maybe ok when you are 1-0 up away from home at wanting to see the game out, but being 1-0 DOWN at HOME, Wilson is not going to be the one to create anything. whereas Green just might.

As I said before the start of the season - its going to be a long hard struggle. Only good thing is that Millwall are below us, but I can see us playing them in League 1 next season.

• Options
    What did everyone think of Whiteheads elbow on Yann? Looked like a nasty challenge from North Upper, anyone closer get a better look?
  • Options
    At least 2 people seemed to think that sordell "worked hard" today. They wern't watching the same game as me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought gower and dervite were two of the better players and seemed to be the only two who weren't determined to give the ball away at the first oportunity despite the lack of movement around them. Morrison in particular was guilty of playing too many aimless long balls.

Green worked hard and I think the criticism of his defensive efforts is a bit harsh but his decision to shoot instead of squaring it when we had men queuing up on the edge of the box was a shocker not to mention missing our best chance.

Sordell needs to learn to graft for his goals because on that evidence we're not going to create many clearcut chances.

The most worrying thing was the way we seemed to fall to pieces towards the end, reminded me of the game last season when we experimented with 443.
  • Options

What did everyone think of Whiteheads elbow on Yann? Looked like a nasty challenge from North Upper, anyone closer get a better look?

If you mean the one in the first half it happened right in front of me. Their fella saw Yann coming and threw an arm in his direction. Don't think he caught him with an elbow, but you heard the slap as it hit him from where I sit.

Still not sure how the if the ref saw it he only gave a yellow.
  • Options
    Saw it and thought it was a red card. Whitehead a lucky boy.
  • Options
    Total and utter dross, to think i had to take a days leave and lose £120 on lost wages makes it worse....Our midfield is the worst in this division and will be our downfall.
  • Options
    Middlesbrough had three in central midfield, we had two. The Boro three, led by the free and roaming Whitehead, won the majority of possession, controlled the central areas, dictated the pace and pattern of the play and were instrumental in Boro winning the game. Simples. If they had capitalised on their chances they would have won by more.

We have serious problems in midfield. We are second to the ball. We are failing to protect the Back Four, especially the full back areas (Green / Harriott was no better than Pritch / Harriott last week at Bournemouth), and we are not providing enough service to the front two. Needs to be sorted out quickly.

Still, no need to panic. Only two games in.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Pritch got sent off last week, their bloke didn't this. Is it true the decisions will even themselves out?
    Looking forward to getting Pritch back personally.
    The very smallest crumb of comfort for me was that the three subs looked eager, and maybe they felt stung not to have started today. It might mean that competition for places in the side is meaningful, and it might get the players more on their toes.
    Yeah a crumb I know.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

If you mean the one in the first half it happened right in front of me. Their fella saw Yann coming and threw an arm in his direction. Don't think he caught him with an elbow, but you heard the slap as it hit him from where I sit.

Yeah weren't sure if it was an elbow or more of a slap but he definately knew Yann was coming and threw his arm out. I assume the ref saw it as straight away gave a yellow but surely should of been red? Not trying to blame the ref for our piss poor performance but thought it looked a naughty one.
  • Options
    So frustrating seeing the long ball every single time which just bypasses our midfield. Might as well player 5-0-5 if we're going to do that. Looking at the players we have I wonder why they can't pass the ball? Gower, Stephens, Green, JJ, Yann & Sordell all have good technique so why do we always resort to route 1?

What's even more annoying is we do not have the presence in the air or the pace for flickons to play this style correctly. Who wins headers apart from Yann? Sordell clearly prefers it on the floor (didn't win a header all game) and I'm pretty sure everyone else does but we still persist.

Maybe it's time for Powell to mix it up on the trusted 4-4-2 and help out our midfield. I wouldn't be surprised if we'd have gotten a point today playing a 4-5-1 with Harriott and Church off Yann and Hughes sitting behind a pairing of JJ/Gower/Stephens. There was so much space between our CMs and the back 4, just free space for them to gallop about unchallenged.

Only two players who I felt performed well were Dervite and Harriott, the rest looked slow and clumsy. Worst I've seen Wiggins play in a long while, maybe ever. Also thought Stephens did well for his short appearance, got fairly stuck in and looked composed throughout.
  • Options
    Pitch looked nice.
  • Options
    Harvey and Floyd looked fit...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chris Powell talking utter bollocks post match.

" I expected us to have more spark"

You picked that team and coached it, mate.
  • Options
    why cant any player on our team pass to another player ? last two games distribution awful

Sordell looks like an awful lot of our loan signings --he dont give a shit

CP is mr laid back but even his body language looked shocking today " yes i know we are dog shit---but what do you expect?"

midfeild has been kak for ages and we havnt got the money or the owners who give a shit.
  • Options
    It's hard to put your finger on what went wrong. Boro were the better of two poor sides and simply looked a more compact unit. Our best players all had bad days - whether that is down to a bad coincidence, Boro doing their homework or a lack of cohesion at the club is hard to say. Maybe it's a combination of those things. I have bad days at work as well; I always feel better when I have a better one afterwards. Three points next week would make a huge difference.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Agreed, either it was worth nothing as an accidental clash or it was a red for me. Tbf Dale is a lucky boy he didn't connect properly either as that looked a bit naughty.
  • Options

Just joined today eh ? Lay off CP, he is trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    colin1961 said:

Have to say I don't think either team done enough to win the game, one mistake and we lost the game and they scored when we were having our best spell.

Once again there are questions , Why pick Jackson when he was clearly not fit, as I witnessed at the Colin Powell game his legs have gone and today he struggled to chase back on a number of times. We looked a lot better when Stephens come on and we started to get our wingers into the game and create openings.

Why start Sordell ? Church must have been full of confidence yet he started on the bench.

Why do we have to play the high ball to Kermit every bloody time ? It don't work .

But more important why was the team so flat from the first whistle there was no passion why?

Hamer 5 very little to do but bad mistake cost us, does he know his place is safe whatever happens ?

Solly 5 Worst game ever seen him play

Wiggins 5 Same all over the place

Morrison 6 Strong in the headers but distribution today was awful

Devitte 7 MOM Brave made lot of good tackles

Green 6 Better 2nd half, was starved of any decent service into right areas

Jackson 3 Should not have started

Gower 6 Done ok but not going to be the box to box player we need

Harriott 6 Like Green better 2nd half, no decent service first half

Kermit 5 Poor today, won nothing and had a couple of chances should have done better with

Sordell 6 Worked hard but again little to work with and Kermit performance did not help him

Subs

Church 6 Should have started

Wilson 4 Why did he come on when we are 1 down..

Stephens 6 Made us look better and got the ball down and played

Very disappointing result but we nearly got it right, church should have started and Stephens should have started in place of Sordell and Jackson and who knows..but one thing is for sure we need a quality midfielder that was all that was missing today some quality in the centre.

Ah, so you're bexleyboy then. Knew he must be on here somewhere.

(*Makes a mental note to take all comments with a large pinch!)
  • Options
    grass
  • Options
    vff said:

Just joined today eh ? Lay off CP, he is trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
    I suspect that this person may already be well known to us and is fishing for a rise, the sad sad man.
  • Options

So he picked it, and coached it, and expected more spark. What's your point?