Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Barnsley post-match news and views 2013

Comments

• Options
    For those there how did Cousins play when he came on?
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

I think a midfield three of Jackson, cousins and Pritchard would be very interesting, especially away. Kerm up on his own with Harriot supporting on left and Sordell/Wilson? on right

Wot? No Church?
  • Options

Season off and running. Don't care that we went all negative at 2-2 CP knows getting a foothold in the season extremely important.

But wouldn't it be nice to have gone for it, what a lift that would of had to the team and supporters. I was not there so will defer to those who witnessed it.
  • Options
    Leave out OUR leading goalscorer??????
  • Options

Rob62 said:

I think a midfield three of Jackson, cousins and Pritchard would be very interesting, especially away. Kerm up on his own with Harriot supporting on left and Sordell/Wilson? on right

Please please not one up front.

It really depends on how much support is coming from the midfielders. We played two up front against Boro and I've never seen a game where we have created so little
  • Options

Season off and running. Don't care that we went all negative at 2-2 CP knows getting a foothold in the season extremely important.

But wouldn't it be nice to have gone for it, what a lift that would of had to the team and supporters. I was not there so will defer to those who witnessed it.
    Conversely, with the way the game was going and the amount of defensive mistakes... It would've been a total kick in the teeth to lose our first point of the season.

Only three games into the season and we need to build a fountain. A point away from home is enough for now.
  • Options
    Credit where credit is due, decent comeback. However, can't help but think it is papering over cracks. Poor at Bournemouth, woeful against Boro and shocking for 70mins today.

Absolutely have to do something about our pedestrian midfield. Maybe Cousins will step up, but am nervous about placing our hopes on his shoulders.

Have to say that Morrison needs to come out of the side as well. Has been poor for a while now.

Still, I'm on holiday next week so we'll probably get a win against Donny.
  • Options
    It's slightly surprising that we're not in the bottom 3 with 1 point!

A crucial point to settle the team down, the training ground will be a bit more confident now

• Options
    edited August 2013

Conversely, with the way the game was going and the amount of defensive mistakes... It would've been a total kick in the teeth to lose our first point of the season.

Only three games into the season and we need to build a fountain. A point away from home is enough for now.
    Where are we putting this fountain?

Can we even afford to build it?
  • Options
    Cort made a big difference when he came on. Central midfield were poor but Cousins looks quality. We have some good youngsters but we lacked creativity. How's my shots have we had this season?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2013
    se9addick said:

Wasn't there today but the first half sounded like we had players not giving 100% which is unacceptable

I wasn't there, either, but I don't believe that any Charlton player spends a week training and working hard towards the next game, and then come 3 pm on Saturday walks out there and thinks, "You know what? I can't really get it up for this game, after all. I think I'll only give it 75 per cent in the first half and if the gaffer notices and bollocks me at half-time, I suppose I can put in a bit more effort in the second-half."

But may be I'm a naive old corinthian sentimentalist and that's exactly the way the modern footballer thinks. What do I know?

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Paul Green ‏@NewsShopperSprt
    REPORT Addicks recover well to seal point at Barnsley http://bit.ly/19ptXxu #cafc #barnsleyfc #championship @astedman1 @KGtopsnapper

Barnsley 2-2 Charlton

5:26pm Saturday 17th August 2013 in Sport By Alex Stedman

A SUPERB second half fightback saw Charlton come from 2-0 down to secure a share of the spoils against Barnsley at Oakwell.

Jordan Cousins and Simon Church ensured the Addicks collected their first point of the season, an outcome which appeared unlikely after goals either side of half-time from Chris O’Grady had put the Tykes in command.

The home side had the first chance as a speculative pass forward from Jean-Yves Mvoto wasn’t dealt with by Michael Morrison and Ben Hamer had to be quick off his line to deny Chris Dagnall.

The hosts continued to press in the opening stages as Charlton repelled the pressure, but the Addicks’ defensive resilience didn’t last long.

Scott Golbourne did well to work himself some space down the left and he crossed for O’Grady to bundle the ball home at the back post to put the Tykes ahead on 16 minutes.

The lead was almost doubled soon after when Jacob Mellis hit the post after getting the better of Dorian Dervite before Charlton scrambled the ball to safety.

The visitors’ best chance of the first period came on the half hour mark.

A quick free-kick from Mark Gower gave Callum Harriott time and space on the edge of the area, but his low shot was well saved by Luke Steele.

Chris Powell made two half-time changes as Leon Cort and debutant Cousins replaced Dale Stephens and Dervite.

M’Voto had the first chance of the half, heading wide after being well marshalled by substitute Cort, but it was only a matter of time before the lead was doubled.

The goal came from a familiar source, Mellis was given too much time down the left and he picked out O’Grady to head home.

Penalty box pinball at the other end resulted in Harriott testing Steele again before Rhoys Wiggins did well to snuff out the dangerous Mellis.

Charlton knew they had to score quickly to have any chance of rescuing something from the game and they did just that on 64 minutes.

After Church was denied brilliantly again by Steele, Jordan Cousins volleyed home on his to claw the Addicks right back into the contest.

All of sudden the momentum was with the visitors and the game was all square eight minutes later.

Yann Kermorgant sent Church through on goal and the former Reading player chipped over Steele for his first league goal for the club.

Barnsley responded with chances from O’Grady and substitute Digby, while Leon Cort headed wide from a corner for the visitors.

Charlton held on to secure a point and the second half fightback will give the team some much-needed confidence.

< Charlton: Hamer, Solly, Dervite (Cort 46), Morrison, Wiggins, Wilson, Stephens (Cousins 46), Gower, Harriott (Evina 75), Church, Kermorgant. Subs not used: Pope, Green, Sordell, Piggott. Att: 9,554 (461 from Charlton)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Off_it said:

Just read the match thread. Embarrassing comments from some., wetting their knickers and blaming all and sundry.

Wonder if they will reappear on this thread to dish out some credit.

Can't see any flying Pigs yet Offy talking of which we have still got our noses in front of them. Didn't sound good over the air waves 1st half. CP had nothing to lose with the subs at half time and fair play to him for changing it. Gutsy comeback if not a game for the purists but the strong wind must have been a major factor in this. We have a point on the board when it seemed a lost cause onwards and upwards. Pleased for JC, the Reverend and the fans whose trip wasn't all doom and gloom COYR!
  • Options
    @BBCSport #resultoftheday Barnsley 2-2 Charlton #cafc getting first points on the board after coming back from 2 behind
  • Options
    Not the best away day I've had :-) .
    Embarrassingly poor first half, showed much more spirit after going two down. Subs had a big impact, cort deserves some praise and well done to Church for taking his chance well. Will need significant improvement if we are not to struggle this season.
  • Options
    Hopefully that comeback will see us push on now and see us start our season.

Am especially interested in how Cousins did apart from his goal (was he deployed in a defensive or attacking role), should he be involved in the Doncaster game next week?
  • Options
    Good to hear from someone at the game. Speaking to a friend who was there, the consensus from the fans seems to be 'how the hell did we steal a point from that'? Hopefully it gives some heart to the team, because we simply have to be better - regardless of the importance of fighting back strongly for a point today.
  • Options
    two half time subs. CP obviously not happy at all. Stephens needs to move on ASAP for all concerned. Good point after being two down. Can't comment further as not there. Good to see Cousins being given a decent run out and CP showing faith in him as we needed to turn the game around. Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    JordanCousins ‏@jordancousins94
    Dream came true today, made my league debut and scored, what more can you ask for, big thank you to everyone @CAFCofficial
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Just read the match thread. Embarrassing comments from some., wetting their knickers and blaming all and sundry.

Wonder if they will reappear on this thread to dish out some credit.

Well if I count as someone who was wetting my knickers then I'm quite happy to show my face and give them credit for a bit of a fight back, in the end it was a point well rescued although there was never really a point where we were exactly battering the door down.

We shouldn't have been so poor before we scored though and CP needs to find a way to get us starting with a bit intensity and fast. A midfield of Gower and Stephens always had disaster written all over it.

Positives are it sounds like Cousins did well so hopefully CP will feel more confident about giving him a start and freshening up the midfield. Hopefully Cousins can do the business from the start. Second positive is Church finding the net from a Yann assist because it sounds like a proper move leading to a goal, not an out of nothing wonder strike or a scruffy bit of defending. We need to get much better at creating clear chances.

Sounds like the game was there for winning at the end but I'm happy with CP being a bit cautious. It's early days and rescuing a point was a step in the right direction, albeit a small one. Had he thrown caution to the wind and got done on the break a defeat would have been a huge blow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done Church and Cousins. We still sound shit.
  • Options

Pritchard, Cousins, Jacko, Harriot when all fit??

Probably. Pritch in the middle with Wilson on the right until Jacko is properly fit.

There are parallels with last season here. We started with pretensions of out footballing teams and couldn't do it. Only when we started picking our 'hardest working' midfield did we start to see some decent results. I think that's where we're at again.

I think the league is stronger than last year as a number of sides have strengthened significantly and the three relegated sides are better than the 3 promoted last year so I expect a tougher year than last.

Fortunately the three sides promoted from League 1 don't look that strong and Millwank are still... well... wank.

Survival is the aim and hard work and energy are the main ways we'll get there IMO with the odd moment of quality from Yann, Harriott and Jacko thrown in for good measure.

• Options
    Hope all the substitutions were in order for everyone today ....

Sounded like a load of old chuff but its a point on the board and something to build on
    But the writing is on the wall and last year was an over achievement and the rose tinted will have to readjust to what is a realistic decent finish for us this year
    I think out of the relegation zone is our target and I for one will be more than happy with just that , unless circumstances behind the scenes change dramatically
    Happy for the season to end now with the scum in that position

Top 6 0%..... 7th-12th 8% ...... 13th-21st 76%........the dreaded R 16%
  • Options

Yes it would have been great and as a fantasy manager I will always throw caution to the wind. CP doesn't have that luxury. Difficult pre-season - no money - club for sale - job on the line - great responsibilty on shoulders to the fans of the club he loves. He knows a fighting comeback draw was worth not going all out.

• Options

Pritchard, Cousins, Jacko, Harriot when all fit??

Definitely
  • Options

For those there how did Cousins play when he came on?

He looked better than any of the other midfielders we used. Looked like he wanted it a lot more, constantly harassing defenders, and took his goal well.
  • Options
    Morro doesn't look right to me. Church is not up to speed and has got 3 goals in the 2 games he has started so we can't talk about dropping him. A midfield of Pritch, JJ and Cousins would be very interesting. I think we'll get going.

I just wish Chrissy could be a bit more positive. Bringing a defender on for a forward when we had amazingly got back to parity says it all for me. I think he has done a great job but I think he is even more cautious than Curbs was. The problem is that at the moment we can't keep teams out so we are better playing more open!
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial
    MATCH REPORT: Read an in-depth match report of Charlton's draw with Barnsley here http://bit.ly/1eSn4Fu (JS) #cafc pic.twitter.com/ks7RNVV0Gf
  • Options
    it was frustrating listening to the commentary which was 10 minutes behind the play; still, knowing what already happened from the matchthread, it was nice tto be benefitting ftom hindsight while the game was being played. Thank goodness we came from behind and not the other way round!!
    A points a point and hopefully CP will be learning from each match; next week will be a good indicator.
  • Options

Morro doesn't look right to me. Church is not up to speed and has got 3 goals in the 2 games he has started so we can't talk about dropping him. A midfield of Pritch, JJ and Cousins would be very interesting. I think we'll get going.

I just wish Chrissy could be a bit more positive. Bringing a defender on for a forward when we had amazingly got back to parity says it all for me. I think he has done a great job but I think he is even more cautious than Curbs was. The problem is that at the moment we can't keep teams out so we are better playing more open!

Powell made absolutely the right call today once we were level and 95% of managers would have done the same in those circumstances.

If we had a win under our belts already he'd have been a bit more adventurous but as others have said, avoiding defeat was priority number one.