Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Barnsley post-match news and views 2013

Comments

• Options

Morro doesn't look right to me. Church is not up to speed and has got 3 goals in the 2 games he has started so we can't talk about dropping him. A midfield of Pritch, JJ and Cousins would be very interesting. I think we'll get going.

I just wish Chrissy could be a bit more positive. Bringing a defender on for a forward when we had amazingly got back to parity says it all for me. I think he has done a great job but I think he is even more cautious than Curbs was. The problem is that at the moment we can't keep teams out so we are better playing more open!

Was he being defensive? Some on here (and elsewhere) have been calling for Evina to get a chance at left midfield.

Evina has pace and did well going forward v Oxford. If Harriott is unavailable Evina might well start there. If he had got down the left and put a cross in for the winning goal it would have been a great substitution.

Not being there we also don't know how Harriott was doing. If he was getting tired it might have made sense. Add to that the fact that our equaliser was created and scored by our two strikers.
  • Options
    were we as bad as last week, against boro?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Morro doesn't look right to me. Church is not up to speed and has got 3 goals in the 2 games he has started so we can't talk about dropping him. A midfield of Pritch, JJ and Cousins would be very interesting. I think we'll get going.

I just wish Chrissy could be a bit more positive. Bringing a defender on for a forward when we had amazingly got back to parity says it all for me. I think he has done a great job but I think he is even more cautious than Curbs was. The problem is that at the moment we can't keep teams out so we are better playing more open!

Was he being defensive? Some on here (and elsewhere) have been calling for Evina to get a chance at left midfield.

Evina has pace and did well going forward v Oxford. If Harriott is unavailable Evina might well start there. If he had got down the left and put a cross in for the winning goal it would have been a great substitution.

Not being there we also don't know how Harriott was doing. If he was getting tired it might have made sense. Add to that the fact that our equaliser was created and scored by our two strikers.
    In my opinion it was the right decision. Harriott was having a poor game; did well to take on a couple of players, but then failed to release the ball and got tackled, and this happened a couple of times. Evina played left wing, so wasn't really a defensive move, but was more apt at covering Wiggins if needed.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    To be fair, If I was a manager I'd just set up to really go at sides - that's why the negativity annoys me. Not to say I am right but Barnsley were there for the taking. Would have been unfair on them but that would have put even more pressure on. Still I do feel better - We might have a good midfield option in Cousins and a goal scorer in Church. With Pritchard, JJ and Hughes out, we really have been weakened in midfield, mind you so would any side losing that number of players.

You can see where the pick up will come and it's a long old season.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Really hope Cousins is the holding midfielder we've been waiting for. A younger, fitter version of Hughes. Would like to see a 5 man midfield of Pritchard, Gower, Cousins, Jackson and Harriott. Leaves us with strong options on the bench too.

Don't worry, we will come good :-)
  • Options
    I think Barnsley losing Boris helped us a lot. Certainly a get out of jail for us. Things are not looking too rosy in the state of Denmark at the moment. I have faith in CP though and hope he doesn't start losing his enthusiasm what with all the non support coming from those up top. The sooner everything is sorted the better. In the meantime let's hope we can keep our heads afloat. Stating the bleeding obvious I know but going back down to L1 would not be good.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    On the match thread somebody posted that SCP did a radio interview 94.9 ? And sailed pretty close to the wind with some of the things he said. Anyone have further info ?
  • Options
    any comeback from 2 down shows that there is care and commitment to the cause and support for the mgr and a will to achieve for themselves and the fans

would've took a point before the day just to have a place to build from
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial
    "The season starte here," said CP after the game. Read the full story at http://ow.ly/o1ioe (GH) #cafc
  • Options

any comeback from 2 down shows that there is care and commitment to the cause and support for the mgr and a will to achieve for themselves and the fans

would've took a point before the day just to have a place to build from

Spot on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial
    "I’ve got to give them all the plaudits because they really dug in as a unit and showed they have got strength of character" CP (GH) #cafc
  • Options

On the match thread somebody posted that SCP did a radio interview 94.9 ? And sailed pretty close to the wind with some of the things he said. Anyone have further info ?

Yeah it was me. There was a very odd interview where they alternated quotes from Steve Lomas and SCP. Chris sounded really down. He pretty much said that he had only just managed to scrape enough pennies together to bring in two late strikers and that the preparation hasn't been ideal. It wasn't so much what he said as the very obviously disheartened way he said it. He for sure wasn't playing by any "company man" rules and putting a brave face on things as managers normally do.
  • Options
    He must be commended for bringing in Church and Sordell under the circumstances.
  • Options
    CP interview on BBC 94.9 here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23739872

Very pleased with a draw after what sounded like an awful start, can't complain with the end result really.

Hopefully we can push on from here against Donny.
  • Options
    First half we were very poor. Cousins came on and showed some energy and kept it simple which allowed Gower to get more in the game. After the first 45 minutes a draw felt like a win. As things stand at the moment would expect both sides to be bottom half on this showing.

Think we have basis of a reasonable squad but finding the right blend of youth and experience will take a bit of experimentation by CP. Just hope we stumble on a successful formula sooner rather than later or it could be a long hard season.

Travelled back to Penistone, where we are staying this weekend, on train with some grumbling and very unhappy tykes - we were definitely the happier with the final result.
  • Options
    Just got back to St Annes, and would agree with others who said that the draw felt like a win. The first half was relegation form, and it was a relief to see us finally produce something a bit better. Shame it had to take us going 2-0 down before it happened! For me, Harriott and Cousins woukd share man of the match. The workrate and desire shown by both was a great example to the rest of the team.
  • Options
    I cannot understand why anyone would want to see a midfield 4 or 5 with Gower as he Ida's lost another 2 yards since he lost a yard or two last season having been marginalised by Laudrup. Nice bloke, nice footballer when he was young but the sands of time .........................
  • Options
    Just got in. Have to say I thought Barnsley were the better side moved the ball about well and O'Grady led the line well. I'm worried that our big players Morro, Yann and Wiggens look so out of sorts. Hopefully scraping a point will give us something to build and it doesn't take much to spark the side.
    Good to see another youngster Cousins come in and not look out of place and thought Church's goal had a touch of the Darren Bents about it.
    Two spots of the day, sure I saw Tom Morris having his lunch in the lovely Dearne Valley Park just down the road from Oakwell and I definitely saw headphones Norm in the club shop buying a commemorative Barnsley v Man C scarf reduced from £10.00 to £3.00. Knows a bargain does our Norm.
  • Options
    CP said Stephens picked up a groin strain. That's why he was subbed.
  • Options
    He should have said it was a tactical change!!!! Then we would have been impressed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just got back and only skim read through all the comments.

I thought Barnsley completely outplayed us for much of that game and should have finished us off before half time. Long ball after long ball resulted in nothing apart from frustration in the away end. Yann was shite, don't know what on earth was wrong with him but apart from setting up Church's equaliser he looked like he couldn't be bothered or was too tired to try. Defending at set pieces was shaky at best, always seems to be someone in the box unmarked. Great to see Cousins come on, chase down everything in sight and then score.

Great fightback, at least the spirit from last season is still there

• Options

He must be commended for bringing in Church and Sordell under the circumstances.

Particularly Church. His record was not great before coming from us but he's hit three goals in two starts since joining - lets hope he can keep it up.
  • Options
    In truth, it's another poor performance, but the comeback may well kick start the season. My thoughts here: http://chrispowellsflatcap.wordpress.com/2013/08/17/powells-faith-in-simon-rewarded-as-church-answers-charltons-prayers/
  • Options
    personally, i think we wanted to be ready for bournemouth, but clearly we weren't. i reckon we need to put simon church upfront with yann because he is proving an inspired signing, scoring 3 goals already. goals were never the problem, people were just worried they weren't coming from the strikers. i think powell is a top manager, but let us never forget, that he has only been one for 30 months. he still has things to learn. powell is a great motivator, has good man management skills, is good in the transfer market, is a popular figure and is very good at setting up teams to play well away. he however is not perfect and i think he needs to get us playing a bit more dynamic and edgy. we did for a bit last season. i think we are lucky that doncaster is a game that is easy to win. i think church will get tons of goals, sordell will soon play a part, kermo is solid as ever. i think we will beat doncaster, and start a good run of form
  • Options

i think we are lucky that doncaster is a game that is easy to win.

Errr, yeeeess let's say that ;-)
  • Options
    They're probably saying the same thing
  • Options
    MKAddick5 said:

In truth, it's another poor performance, but the comeback may well kick start the season. My thoughts here: http://chrispowellsflatcap.wordpress.com/2013/08/17/powells-faith-in-simon-rewarded-as-church-answers-charltons-prayers/

Enjoyed that, thanks. Very thorough too- you must have an encyclopedic knowledge of players at this level to be able to give an account covering both sides like that!
  • Options
    Following the game on line, I have to say great fight back but we were playing a team that lost their last game at home 4-0 and are one of the favourites to go down. I think it shows that if the things stay the same we will be in a real dog fight and staying up we be great.
  • Options
    Thanks Red Mid. Updates were brilliant.
  • Options
    McCartney said:

Two spots of the day, sure I saw Tom Morris having his lunch in the lovely Dearne Valley Park just down the road from Oakwell and I definitely saw headphones Norm in the club shop buying a commemorative Barnsley v Man C scarf reduced from £10.00 to £3.00. Knows a bargain does our Norm.

Very unlikely to have been Tom - he doesn't travel away these days.