Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Barnsley post-match news and views 2013

Comments

• Options
    Funny how people see things differently,I saw a Barnsley side that came out determined to avenge the embarrassing home defeat that they suffered last year.They threw everything bar the kitchen sink at Charlton,who in my humble opinion weathered the storm very well and when the chances to score arrived they were taken.Always look on the bright side of life onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    having seen the goals (once) I can't believe the hash the defender made of attempting to clear our equaliser off the line.
  • Options

personally, i think we wanted to be ready for bournemouth, but clearly we weren't. i reckon we need to put simon church upfront with yann because he is proving an inspired signing, scoring 3 goals already. goals were never the problem, people were just worried they weren't coming from the strikers. i think powell is a top manager, but let us never forget, that he has only been one for 30 months. he still has things to learn. powell is a great motivator, has good man management skills, is good in the transfer market, is a popular figure and is very good at setting up teams to play well away. he however is not perfect and i think he needs to get us playing a bit more dynamic and edgy. we did for a bit last season. i think we are lucky that doncaster is a game that is easy to win. i think church will get tons of goals, sordell will soon play a part, kermo is solid as ever. i think we will beat doncaster, and start a good run of form

These are very close to my sentiments
  • Options

having seen the goals (once) I can't believe the hash the defender made of attempting to clear our equaliser off the line.

Just be thankful :-)

• Options
    Would be interested to know from those there - did the team really line-up in a 4-3-3 formation? Very strange if they did.
  • Options

Yep it was a weak finish and I still can't believe it wasn't cleared and the first goal just eluded the defender on the line .....
    More than grateful for barnsleys help
  • Options
    Ah, right. They weren't "proper" goals then, so they don't count and we can all carry on being fucking miserable. That's a relief.
  • Options
    We have conceded 5 goals in 3 games against decidedly mediocre opposition. Clearly the defence needs tightening up and Morrison needs to be dropped. In addition, Wiggins should be looking over his shoulder. Although a class player, he is decidedly off-form at the moment.
  • Options

personally, i think we wanted to be ready for bournemouth, but clearly we weren't. i reckon we need to put simon church upfront with yann because he is proving an inspired signing, scoring 3 goals already. goals were never the problem, people were just worried they weren't coming from the strikers. i think powell is a top manager, but let us never forget, that he has only been one for 30 months. he still has things to learn. powell is a great motivator, has good man management skills, is good in the transfer market, is a popular figure and is very good at setting up teams to play well away. he however is not perfect and i think he needs to get us playing a bit more dynamic and edgy. we did for a bit last season. i think we are lucky that doncaster is a game that is easy to win. i think church will get tons of goals, sordell will soon play a part, kermo is solid as ever. i think we will beat doncaster, and start a good run of form

Agree with most of this but Doncaster will not be an easy win. They have made some very impressive signings, have a good manager in Paul Dickov and let's not forget, they won League One last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We have conceded 5 goals in 3 games against decidedly mediocre opposition. Clearly the defence needs tightening up and Morrison needs to be dropped. In addition, Wiggins should be looking over his shoulder. Although a class player, he is decidedly off-form at the moment.

Bournemouth and Boro are not mediocre. Barnsley maybe...
  • Options
    I thought boro were very mediocre.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Five deciding factors:
    Hamer's bravery kept us in the game in the first half when we were under a lot of pressure

Perkins' injury after half an hour lost Barnsley their midfield control and attacking zest

The strong wind blowing right down the field into the away end ... gave Barnsley a head start and we used it well in the second 1/2

Cort on for Dervite .. he was immense in defence

Cousins on for Stephens: first time I have seen him.... he is very good, measured and confident, took his goal well .. should be a regular from now on.

I enjoyed the game. Barnsley are no mugs. We started badly but my five points above kept us in/got us back in the game. We got better & better as the game went on. By the finish, with a bit more ambition we could have won it
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    It is difficult to know who is mediocre or not at this stage. Probably best to concentrate on ourselves - last season showed us anyway that we can beat good teams and lose to mediocre ones so it doesn't really matter.

Doncaster will indeed be a stiff challenge, but at home, it is a game where we do have a realistic chance of winning it! Hopefully the point will push us on - we will have Pritchard back and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing Cousins start. Win that and our season will have kicked off. Things that look gloomy suddenly don't look so gloomy!
  • Options
    All i can say we stopped one of our relegation favourites gaining ground on us...anyone else who thinks the opposite is deluded...before you slag me off, name another team in this division who we are better than...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Currently, Millwall, Barnsley and Sheffield Wendy. Oh and Blackburn,
  • Options

All i can say we stopped one of our relegation favourites gaining ground on us...anyone else who thinks the opposite is deluded...before you slag me off, name another team in this division who we are better than...

Only seen two of them so don't have clue.
  • Options
    CP said Stephens picked up a groin strain. That's why he was subbed.
  • Options

Only seen two of them so don't have clue.
    So have i and that is enough
  • Options

How much would you like to bet that millwall backburn and wednesday finish above us...the point i am making is the signs are there already the club should be doing something about it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

How much would you like to bet that millwall backburn and wednesday finish above us...the point i am making is the signs are there already the club should be doing something about it.
    Without opening yet another can of worms exactly how can it be addressed without any money ? In any case how do you know that the club aren't trying to do something even if it means players leaving.

• Options
    its evident on the pitch
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2013

On the match thread somebody posted that SCP did a radio interview 94.9 ? And sailed pretty close to the wind with some of the things he said. Anyone have further info ?

Yeah it was me. There was a very odd interview where they alternated quotes from Steve Lomas and SCP. Chris sounded really down. He pretty much said that he had only just managed to scrape enough pennies together to bring in two late strikers and that the preparation hasn't been ideal. It wasn't so much what he said as the very obviously disheartened way he said it. He for sure wasn't playing by any "company man" rules and putting a brave face on things as managers normally do.
    This tells you how close any takeover is or one which allows CP to invest in the team.

• Options
    I wonder how our financial situation now compares with the financial situation when Alan Curbishley took over?
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2013
    Posting without reading.

Glad to see the team fight back from 2 down, Great to see Jordan Cousins play and score. Good bit of pace for Simon Church for his goal. That's promising.

We are off the mark. We are one point ahead of Millwall. Don't think we should see Doncaster as a push over. We need to make sure that we hold the midfield.
  • Options
    MuttleyCAFC Member
    9:31AM
    jackmasterflash said:

Yes can't agree at dismissing Donny when we are under performing. Also starting sentences with capitals would help but hey I'm no scholar either ;-)))
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    You can't dismiss any team in this league - it's just I think Jackmaster was saying most would prefer Donny to say Watford or Forest next week!

The personnel isn't that much different to the side that ended the season so strongly - yes a poor start is disappointing but some subtle changes can change everything around. I am pretty confident that the same squad with Church and Sordell basically replacing Fuller and Haynes and with Cousins and Piggott now knocking at the door is not going to be anywhere near the relegation zone.
  • Options
    Can we have it in writing m8?
  • Options
    Barnsley clearly built up for this game, firstly to get season going at home and mostly to avenge the 0-6. They meant it from the off and we were clearly second best with occasional patches of possession.
    At 2-0 resigned to defeat, Barnsley looking for a third to payback a little more of that earlier hammering. Then up steps Leon. He is a big awkward stopper who gets in the way but crucially does not lump the ball back to the opposition for another go. Changed the game, gave confidence to those around him and suddenly we're going forward. Goal 1 fortuitous, goal 2 just made it over the line but good speed by Church to hold off the defender for the crucial 10 yards to set himself.
    Went back into our shell for last 5 but Leon held firm. Very positive contribution from Hamer all game.
    We got started last year on the back of a few solid defensive performances. Let's do the same again and then we can start nicking the 1-0 aways again like Burnley and Udders.

• Options
    Barnsley were up for this one, so a good point specially after going 2 down, hats off to Powell for realising how much of a mare Stephens was having and giving Cousins a go.