Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Barnsley post-match news and views 2013

Comments

• Options

Based on two games there is one significant difference apparent from last season already.

Our most reliable and talented players who form the core of the team (Yann, Solly, Morrison, JJ and Wiggins) have all been average or poor and all look either overweight or unfit or both.

Not sure how this is the owners/board's fault.
  • Options

Would be interested to know from those there - did the team really line-up in a 4-3-3 formation? Very strange if they did.

I didn't think so - looked like 4-4-2

• Options

Based on two games there is one significant difference apparent from last season already.

Our most reliable and talented players who form the core of the team (Yann, Solly, Morrison, JJ and Wiggins) have all been average or poor and all look either overweight or unfit or both.

Don't buy into this unfit stuff. Fitness for footballers is now a science and there is no way a player could disguise his weight or general fitness from the fitness team. Of course you have to make allowances for players returning from injury but that's it.

• Options
    Barnsley played far better football than us as they managed to pass the ball to each other and move forward but they didn't take their chances, whilst we were poor in our passing and general ability to attack but did take the chances we had.
  • Options
    agree
  • Options

Barnsley played far better football than us as they managed to pass the ball to each other and move forward but they didn't take their chances, whilst we were poor in our passing and general ability to attack but did take the chances we had.

This pretty much sums up everything i have read on the game. We played shit again but didn't lose.
  • Options
    Barnsley just looked hungrier and more up for it than we did!

Most shocking thing for me from the day though is the fact that my mate was charged £16 for his 5 year old son to get in even though under 12 concessions were advertised at £5. He had only budgeted so much and would've skinted himself so was very close to telling them to poke it. However, a couple of other Addick's became aware and insisted in chipping in to make up the shortfall so thanks to them if they're reading (not that I wasn't prepared to lend my mate how much he needed mind).
  • Options

Most shocking thing for me from the day though is the fact that my mate was charged £16 for his 5 year old son to get in even though under 12 concessions were advertised at £5. He had only budgeted so much and would've skinted himself so was very close to telling them to poke it. However, a couple of other Addick's became aware and insisted in chipping in to make up the shortfall so thanks to them if they're reading (not that I wasn't prepared to lend my mate how much he needed mind).

I appreciate that the motives of those who helped your mate out were the best.

Sooner or later though a stand needs to be made against immoral, thieving spivs such as Barnsley football club appear to be. They have the money so they can do it again. People should refuse to pay and hit them in the pocket where it hurts.

I accept, as a parent myself, that a disappointed child throws a different complexion on things.
  • Options
    I agree with Shooters Hill I cannot believe the players are not statistically fit however against the Boro they looked behind the game which surprised me given the way we finished last season. That said at least we didn't lose on Saturday and there is hope that Cousins did enough to convince CP to start him. One I am learning thing about Cp is that he appears to be very conservative and will only introduce a player (Harriott for example) when he is 100% certain they are ready. Sometimes taking a dart can be a good thing. Hopefully this result signals better things.
  • Options

Currently, Millwall, Barnsley and Sheffield Wendy. Oh and Blackburn,

How much would you like to bet that millwall backburn and wednesday finish above us...the point i am making is the signs are there already the club should be doing something about it.
    On what I've seen this season we are not going to win a single game. Or score ever again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2013

How much would you like to bet that millwall backburn and wednesday finish above us...the point i am making is the signs are there already the club should be doing something about it.
    On what I've seen this season we are not going to win a single game. Or score ever again.
    You'll win two matches I can think of...
  • Options

sack that Useless Ulsterman .... NOW (:->)
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I appreciate that the motives of those who helped your mate out were the best.

Sooner or later though a stand needs to be made against immoral, thieving spivs such as Barnsley football club appear to be. They have the money so they can do it again. People should refuse to pay and hit them in the pocket where it hurts.

I accept, as a parent myself, that a disappointed child throws a different complexion on things.
    Not defending it in any shape or form, but if the basis of this was that concessions are only available in advance it may be to do with rampant abuse of age concessions by away fans in general. The casual staff who sell away tickets at The Valley reported lots of problems with this and it's difficult for them to manage in the context of a walk-up crowd in the run-up to kick-off when they may be under pressure from the safety team to get the queue down.

That clearly doesn't justify charging a five-year-old £16 - it may be why they have such a rule in the first place.
  • Options

We have no way of knowing how the contract situation plays into squad morale, though. All of these players are out of contract at the end of the season. I don't know if it is a factor or that it is any defence if it is, but it could be affecting the players.
  • Options
    @br7 CP said it was an injury. So hats off to Stephens for getting injured.

It appears that some of the players lack fitness but this may actually be a symptom of the dip in confidence that appears to have taken place.
  • Options

We have no way of knowing how the contract situation plays into squad morale, though. All of these players are out of contract at the end of the season. I don't know if it is a factor or that it is any defence if it is, but it could be affecting the players.
    I don't buy into that at all... At the end of the day, wether out of contract at the end of the season or not, they are all professional footballers.
  • Options
    It's all a canny plan by SCP and the squad to persuade the board to invest before close of transfer window or else...

Just kidding - I think....
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    The board getting blamed for players form and letting goals in. This is getting silly.

Solly has been outstanding for two years. Is that down to the board? Didn't think so. Only the negatives.
  • Options

Don't buy into this unfit stuff. Fitness for footballers is now a science and there is no way a player could disguise his weight or general fitness from the fitness team. Of course you have to make allowances for players returning from injury but that's it.

It might be a science but I can see Yann is fat from half way back in the NWQ
  • Options
    When we returned from the training camp in Spain, in the friendlies against AFC Wombles and the Daggers, I thought we looked razor sharp: lean and fit, and crisp on our toes. Weirdly, our fitness appears to have declined since then, though I'm sure this is monitored closely by the staff. Kermorgant is certainly packing a few pounds - yet it might be useful padding for all the battering he's getting this season. But against Boro we all looked leaden and lost....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lean...crisp...battering....mmmmmmmm.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

When we returned from the training camp in Spain, in the friendlies against AFC Wombles and the Daggers, I thought we looked razor sharp: lean and fit, and crisp on our toes. Weirdly, our fitness appears to have declined since then, though I'm sure this is monitored closely by the staff. Kermorgant is certainly packing a few pounds - yet it might be useful padding for all the battering he's getting this season. But against Boro we all looked leaden and lost....

Its not all down to fitness. We were abysmal for 90 minutes against bournemouth and boro. We improved in the latter stages at Barnsley. We are playing shit. We need to play better. Simples
  • Options

Go and bet on it then if your that confident or cocky
  • Options

What a strange and needlessly aggressive post.

• Options
    Agree Guru. Can't really work out why anyone would get worked up by SLL bemoaning the crap start of his beloved Millwank.

Strange indeed.
  • Options

weird
  • Options
    Can we please start with Cort against Doncaster on Saturday. My mom.
  • Options

Cort and???????????????????

• Options

Noone else. Just Big Leon on his own ;o)

If you mean who I'd partner him with then that's the question. I thought Dervite looked shaky and low on confidence and Morrison's performance was way below what he is capable of. Forced to choose I'd plump for Dervite solely for the reason that Cort, based on Saturday, would probably be more supportive.
  • Options

His Mom apparently