Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Boxing tonight

Comments

• Options

Gutted to hear that Jnr ‘could’ still win the WBSS competition as Kalle has asked him to be one of a handful on standby if GG can’t be fit for final on 2nd June. I’d much rather see Traux wildcarded in for the final with the IBF strap he took off DeGale

Agreed - at least there would be a belt to fight for. A non-title fight for the final would undermine the entire competition.
  • Options
    Juergen Braehmer out of the Callum Smith fight this weekend due to illness.

Nikey Holzken (who was the registered reserve) step in.

Holzken was training for a fight with Chudinov.
  • Options

Listening to the interviews I don’t know if Sr Is the issue I reckon JR is just as deluded

Eubank Jr said: “At the beginning of my career my dad was constantly advising and guiding, telling me what I should and shouldn’t do — as he had to.

“Now I’m at the stage where I’ve been there and done it and I know what I’m doing. I don’t need that constant instruction. I am now the best super-middleweight in the world. There is still so much I want to achieve and I’m still fresh. I want to create a legacy."

The guy is deluded.

Fair enough he's confident in his own ability, (although maybe less so after Saturday night), but how does he hope to address problems he's not aware of. You surely need a coach to spot issues, explain where you're going wrong and how to correct them. His training isn't just about what he's doing right, it's just as much about what he's doing wrong. And if he's an arrogant prick that thinks he's the worlds best already then he'll never improve.
    His dad tells him in the behind the scenes footage it was the right result and JR disagrees and seeks assurances from others in the team

The problem is when you constantly tell people they are great when their not they will end up believing it
  • Options
    I felt the silence was deafening when he asked his team if they thought he won.
  • Options

Listening to the interviews I don’t know if Sr Is the issue I reckon JR is just as deluded

Eubank Jr said: “At the beginning of my career my dad was constantly advising and guiding, telling me what I should and shouldn’t do — as he had to.

“Now I’m at the stage where I’ve been there and done it and I know what I’m doing. I don’t need that constant instruction. I am now the best super-middleweight in the world. There is still so much I want to achieve and I’m still fresh. I want to create a legacy."

The guy is deluded.

Fair enough he's confident in his own ability, (although maybe less so after Saturday night), but how does he hope to address problems he's not aware of. You surely need a coach to spot issues, explain where you're going wrong and how to correct them. His training isn't just about what he's doing right, it's just as much about what he's doing wrong. And if he's an arrogant prick that thinks he's the worlds best already then he'll never improve.
    His dad tells him in the behind the scenes footage it was the right result and JR disagrees and seeks assurances from others in the team

The problem is when you constantly tell people they are great when their not they will end up believing it
    To be fair in the immediacy after a bout it must be easy to assume you've done better than you did especially if you were coming forward.

If however after watching it back he thinks he did anything other than convincingly lose pretty much every round whilst launching wild uncoordinated attacks in the manner of a white collar contest then he's beyond deluded!
  • Options
    I hope that my suspicious mind on Braemer and his illness is in part allowing braemer vs Smith to be the final should George not make it
  • Options
    Braehmer had pulled out of his fight with Smith on Saturday with a fever, a Dutch guy I've never heard of will now take his place - Holzken I think his name is, any one know anything about him?
  • Options

Braehmer had pulled out of his fight with Smith on Saturday with a fever, a Dutch guy I've never heard of will now take his place - Holzken I think his name is, any one know anything about him?

Mate who knows his boxing reckons he's a kickboxer and essentially an appalling replacement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nope

Brahmer has previous for pulling out of fights if he doesn't fancy it though
  • Options
    Don’t reckon George will make it mate very coincidental the day groves has been back in for scan
  • Options

Don’t reckon George will make it mate very coincidental the day groves has been back in for scan

It doesn't leave long does it, personally I think they will delay the final as Groves is the draw, Smith only sells tickets in Liverpool
  • Options
    Who was the gimp with dreadlocks announcing, wot a wanker
  • Options
    He does all WBSS ring announcing
  • Options

Well worth a watch, behind the scenes before, during and after the Eubank/Groves fight.

https://youtu.be/ZptrpfbkHBM

Still have absolutely no idea how that wasn't given as a knockdown in the 10th
  • Options

Well worth a watch, behind the scenes before, during and after the Eubank/Groves fight.

https://youtu.be/ZptrpfbkHBM

Still have absolutely no idea how that wasn't given as a knockdown in the 10th
    Agree - clearly a punch that put him down.

Eubank “I still think I’m better than Groves” - truly delusional.

• Options
    Carter said:

It doesn't leave long does it, personally I think they will delay the final as Groves is the draw, Smith only sells tickets in Liverpool
    Hope so.

Gonna be a bit of a farce if they've got Smith in the final who beat an unknown, versus a guy who was either a loser (Eubank) or Brahmer (didn't win a semi to get there).
  • Options
    Carter said:

I sure hope so. What's the point of having a competition like this if you're not gonna allow the WC and top seed enough time to make the final?
  • Options
    Although I have heard from a friend who knows Groves' family that he's confident they will delay the final and he will make it. So we'll see.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bookies go 10/11 Groves and 5/6 Smith; can't split 'em. I personally think there's some value in Groves again if he does get back to full fitness.
  • Options

Bookies go 10/11 Groves and 5/6 Smith; can't split 'em. I personally think there's some value in Groves again if he does get back to full fitness.

I like Callum Smith I don't think he's got the minerals to beat Groves though, what I love about Groves is he is unusual for a British Boxer in his style, you can tell he used to be a kickboxer in his early fights but now he's really improved, I know a lot of people were shocked at what he did to Froch in the first fight and he has adjusted and has visibly improved his conditioning and fitness since the losses to Froch and Jack which ironically makes him a bit more like Froch and I don't think he's looking to take everyone's head off in the first few rounds which makes him a far better all round technical fighter and a more challenging prospect for his peers at 168lbs
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Not sure how recent it is, saw it today on Facebook, but the video of Groves promoter on the nosebag in the press conference is amazing.
  • Options

Not sure how recent it is, saw it today on Facebook, but the video of Groves promoter on the nosebag in the press conference is amazing.

He reckons all that behaviour is a nervous twitch he has had for years.....
  • Options
    Carter said:

I like Callum Smith I don't think he's got the minerals to beat Groves though, what I love about Groves is he is unusual for a British Boxer in his style, you can tell he used to be a kickboxer in his early fights but now he's really improved, I know a lot of people were shocked at what he did to Froch in the first fight and he has adjusted and has visibly improved his conditioning and fitness since the losses to Froch and Jack which ironically makes him a bit more like Froch and I don't think he's looking to take everyone's head off in the first few rounds which makes him a far better all round technical fighter and a more challenging prospect for his peers at 168lbs
    I too would favour a fit Groves over Smith.

Everything else you say is spot on, Dan. The first fight I took my boys to was Groves/Degale because my Danny was a huge Groves fan. That was a great fight but George is a far more astute boxer now and a lot of that must be down to Shane.

Sometimes it’s easy to forget what a stellar amateur career George had too - and for me he is pretty much now the complete super middleweight.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Carter said:

Agreed. Groves has always, until recently, been very underrated considering he's always been game to fight the best and although he has come up short a couple of times, has never been outclassed.

People say he's not the fighter he was when he fought Froch the first time. I'd agree. He's better.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Carter said:

I too would favour a fit Groves over Smith.

Everything else you say is spot on, Dan. The first fight I took my boys to was Groves/Degale because my Danny was a huge Groves fan. That was a great fight but George is a far more astute boxer now and a lot of that must be down to Shane.

Sometimes it’s easy to forget what a stellar amateur career George had too - and for me he is pretty much now the complete super middleweight.

Exactly, he only missed out on Beiging by a bees dick and was properly knocking people out as an amateur. I think he realised after the Jack Fight he had to make a couple of adjustments and Shane McGuigan who was also a very decent amateur has made them with him. He's an intelligent bloke Groves and unlike a huge amount of British fighters he has the nous to box to a predetermined game plan.

Benavidez will be a tough fight but could well cement a legacy for George and I'd love to see him get him over here for a unification bout
  • Options
    Carter said:

He reckons all that behaviour is a nervous twitch he has had for years.....
    It’s a bit of both
  • Options
    I will disagree with both of you on groves vs Smith ,

Cal by far the best smith and imo stops George by 9
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!