Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Boxing tonight

Comments

• WBC have made Benavidez v Dirrell for the title and made Callums fight for the WBC Diamond belt
    They SHOULD then make the two title holders fight (obviously after the tournament finishes in May) Whether they do or not is another thing
  • Benavidez is an impressive fighter especially for his age, big career ahead of him
  • Benavidez is an impressive fighter especially for his age, big career ahead of him

He is doing all the right things certainly. I'm not sure he's even got his man strength yet which is frightening but he has also yet to fight what I'd call a top table fighter
  • Carter said:

Benavidez is an impressive fighter especially for his age, big career ahead of him

He is doing all the right things certainly. I'm not sure he's even got his man strength yet which is frightening but he has also yet to fight what I'd call a top table fighter
    Agreed.

So far so good but how many times do they fall just short of being top class? He does look good though!!
  • So, assuming both Smith and Groves win their bouts, if they were to meet in a semi or the final they would be fighting for Groves' title? And if that's in say a years time and Smith has a World title by then would they both be on the line?
  • So, assuming both Smith and Groves win their bouts, if they were to meet in a semi or the final they would be fighting for Groves' title? And if that's in say a years time and Smith has a World title by then would they both be on the line?

I think that's the case? I know Groves title is on the line against Cox but he is very confident in beating him (rightly so) so I guess any other titles are up for grabs? Saying that is Smith fighting anyone who wont be in this Tourney or can he only fight whoever is in this competition?
  • Smith fights Skoglund for the WBC diamond belt in his QF.
    Semi finals are set for Jan/Feb with the final in May.
    Groves and Smith are in opposite half of the draw so can't face each other until the final.
  • All belts picked up along the way are on the line in future fights.
  • Thanks for the clarification.

I hope Eubank Jr makes through so either Groves or Smith can shut him and his dad up for a while.

Cruiserweight looks interesting with 3 world title holders, the overall winner can legitimately claim to be the best in that division- can only be good for the sport
  • Thanks for the clarification.

I hope Eubank Jr makes through so either Groves or Smith can shut him and his dad up for a while.

Cruiserweight looks interesting with 3 world title holders, the overall winner can legitimately claim to be the best in that division- can only be good for the sport

Except they can't as Bellew ain't in it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't be surprised to see Lebedev fight the tournament winner at the end of it all too. For all 4 belts.

Eubank Jnr is in the same half as Groves so that could be the semi.
    Groves route could be all Brits. Cox, Eubank and Smith.

However I have doubts over Eubank taking part at all.
    Just like the Golovkin fight he could just use it for a bit of publicity.
  • Don't be surprised to see Lebedev fight the tournament winner at the end of it all too. For all 4 belts.

Thing is with this Eubank will have to set the terms laid out not piss around like usual. Whether Daddy allows that is a different matter.
  • buckshee said:

Don't be surprised to see Lebedev fight the tournament winner at the end of it all too. For all 4 belts.

Thing is with this Eubank will have to set the terms laid out not piss around like usual. Whether Daddy allows that is a different matter.
    He'll fart-arse around and blow his fight out. He's already got a terrible reputation with every promoter and broadcaster.

For my money I think he gets knocked out by groves comfortably but he has picked an opponent he should have steered clear of. Smith has shown some real stones by entering this tournament and is capable of getting through to at least the semi final but I don't go in for the huge hype around him, he hasn't fought anyone of note yet and I think he's too stiff
  • bobmunro said:

Carter said:

Benavidez is an impressive fighter especially for his age, big career ahead of him

Agreed.

So far so good but how many times do they fall just short of being top class? He does look good though!!
    I agree with all that's been Said here but we need to blow caution in this wind so many times a fighter is hyped and falls short the kid is immense currently based on his fight record but hasn't been tested to hard yet

Same as Yarde and Dubois both immense and devastating but totally being pitched in with the fighters that offer no real test

OHD is a nice kid a good kid he talks shit but believe me that's OHD trying to build the bank balance to cover his limited ability

I really like him he is a good fighter he has an amount of skill and he has something I really like about him, I really think he needs a comfortable shoulder and needs to go talk to people like spencer fearon and get better guidance and team around him as he has something to offer

This wa a bad loss for him but shouldn't be anything other than the steps for learning all fighters need
  • Looking at JR the biggest down fall he will face very much like Connor benn I feel is that he looks like he should have devastating power , where as take Callum smith and groves for example who don't give off that visual opinion but absolutely rock you to your toes with the power punches

I spoke with martin Murray about groves and muzza is a hard bstd and rated the power of groves and said it was way above what he expected

Yet if you fall for the you tube clips of benn and jr you will wonder how anyone can take their hooks to the body yet both have failed to demonstrate the power the higher they climb
  • Looking at JR the biggest down fall he will face very much like Connor benn I feel is that he looks like he should have devastating power , where as take Callum smith and groves for example who don't give off that visual opinion but absolutely rock you to your toes with the power punches

I spoke with martin Murray about groves and muzza is a hard bstd and rated the power of groves and said it was way above what he expected

Yet if you fall for the you tube clips of benn and jr you will wonder how anyone can take their hooks to the body yet both have failed to demonstrate the power the higher they climb

I don't rate Eubank's power at all. I thought he struggled against Billy-Joe because he has a real chin but whilst he is sharp I don't think anyone of pedigree should be worried by his power. Connor Benn for me looks like he really matured in his last fight and wasn't so wild.

Interesting you say that about Ohara Davies as I thought he was an awful boxer to each but obviously loaded up shots and thought Josh Taylor would have his number all day long assuming he could walk him down. If he's in it for the money solely he won't be around long he would have picked up a huge amount of cash for that Taylor fight and I'm not convinced he has the vinegar for many more fights like that
  • He got three times what Taylor got allegedly I find that astounding

I honestly believe that with the right team around him OHD can be one of those fighters who in the end will win a decent title , he is a gob shite when Eddie puts him on the PR duty and he will drive opposing fans and fighters to breaking point before fights , his fight against Derry should never have happened as Derry was done and should never have had the bout

I'd like to see OHD go against Sean masher Dodds either at lightweight ( I think OHD could drop a weight tbh ) for masher or light welterweight as I believe Sean could fight up I think it would be a cracking scrap and could be a route up for masher or a title for OHD there's more to offer with Ohara , tactically I think it was absolutely shocking from team davies and I'd like to know who even thought you could beat someone as technically smooth as Taylor in that way

If davies is making those decisions then he definitely needs better people around him and if it's his sims then like sam mcness he needs to bin his trainer sharp because they are both out of depth

If I could pick the a decent 4 way in that division and offer a chance for OHD it would be either Dodds or Swifty smith maxi Hughes at lightweight and really see who from the three can create and the winners face off and whoever gets through fights Barret as I don't see any of them going any further than that

Although I think I heard swifty has another title shot on horizon

• Yeah, think Smith has a shot at Corrales for the WBA.

Not sure how he gets these title shots. Lost to Pedraza, comes back and has 1 average win and gets a shot at Sosa (the weakest champion), gets beat fairly comfortably. Then followed by another routine win/'warm up fight' now in line for another world title. Crazy.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/40811881

The end of a great career - top boxer and from all that we can see a very decent man. Happy retirement Vlad.

(now got to cancel the Vegas hotel booked for 9-13 November - good job I didn't book the flights!!)
  • Right decision I think.
    Great career he's had.

Eddie and AJ won't be happy, cost them a few quid I reckon.
    Pulev doesn't do anywhere near as much as the rematch would have.
  • Sponsored links:

• Potential for a decent enough undercard now I imagine.
  • Right decision I think.
    Great career he's had.

Eddie and AJ won't be happy, cost them a few quid I reckon.
    Pulev doesn't do anywhere near as much as the rematch would have.

Agreed - and Pulev is not a stadium fight. O2 as the venue is my bet.
  • Now he's retired i think we'll realise how good he was. In the top 10 best ever heavyweights for sure.
  • edited August 2017

Now he's retired i think we'll realise how good he was. In the top 10 best ever heavyweights for sure.

Possibly - maybe just top 10 but maybe just outside. All subjective of course.

In the history of the heavyweight division only the great Joe Louis reigned for longer and that without a doubt elevates Vlad as an exceptional boxer.
  • I will always respect him for his record but his fights were 90% snooze fest after the early part of his career .
  • Now he's retired i think we'll realise how good he was. In the top 10 best ever heavyweights for sure.

An excellent fighter no doubt, a great ambassador for the sport yes, but one of the 10 greatest heavyweights, not for me.
    I hope he enjoys his retirement and passes on his knowledge to up and coming kids !
  • Vitali was better than Vlad
  • CAFCsayer said:

Vitali was better than Vlad

This, and a top 10 containing both would be dull indeed. To give the brothers their due, they have dominated and been great ambassadors for the sport when there is so much crap about. Shame for them it was been a weak division for many years
  • CAFCsayer said:

Vitali was better than Vlad

Absolutely agree with this.

Top 10 is so subjective, apart from the number one of course!!

My 2-10 (not in any specific order although Louis probably number 2) would be made up of Tyson, Frazier, Foreman, Liston, Lewis, Holyfield, Holmes, Louis, Marciano.

You can add to the argument the likes of Tunney, Johnson and Dempsey. Then you get into the likes of the Klitschko boys.
  • Great Technical boxer with power and an extremely likeable bloke! His message about ''passing the torch'' to AJ was class.
    Pulev v AJ will be a good fight but I cant see Pulev dealing with AJ's size and power.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!