Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    Been roped into doing the Lac Leman cycle in May... About 190km and I'm massively unfit and a fairweather cyclist. Just got a turbo trainer and gonna get set up on Zwift. Anyone else on there? What else do I need to get it to work?
  • Options
    I’m on Zwift. Pretty easy, I just plug the turbo trainer in, connect it to Zwift on my iPad via Bluetooth and off I go. Graphics pretty poor but I can’t complain as it’s helped me survive the last 5 months of lockdown. Joining the planned races or structured activities is pretty decent fun. Nothing beats being on the road though. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Ride London is back next year, with a new route into Essex  https://www.ridelondon.co.uk/ 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Been roped into doing the Lac Leman cycle in May... About 190km and I'm massively unfit and a fairweather cyclist. Just got a turbo trainer and gonna get set up on Zwift. Anyone else on there? What else do I need to get it to work?
    I’d download the Zwift Companion app. It’s a useful way to look at your stats. Make sure you’ve got a fan to keep you cool, and a May under the bike to keep the sweat off the floor, although you don’t need any of those. 
  • Options
    @CAFCsayer what trainer did you get? If it's 'smart' you're all set on whatever app you want (I'd recommend FulGaz over Zwift, but that's just me...)..if it's not, then you mightneed a bit of jiggery pokery to get set up on on any of the training apps... I've entered this for next year https://deathride.com/ (out of date website..) and am also thinking about heading out to this too https://sbtgrvl.com/ if I can get sign off from Mrs Me....  Should probably do some training too...

• Options
    Hi all - back in Uk for Xmas and looking to get a new road bike. Have a budget of 3-5k and looking for disc brakes and Di2. Any tips, recommendations or advice?
  • Options
    It may be worth going to a bike shop that will do you a jig bike fit prior to buying and suggest frames with a geometry to suit your size, shape and type of riding you want to do. They will often deduct the cost of this from the bike if you buy through them.

You should get a great bike for that money. Personally I would steer clear of SRAM for hydraulic discs as they use DOT fluid which is more of a pain in the arse when bleeding brakes.
  • Options
    Also might be worth keeping some of your budget back for upgrades on things like wheels
  • Options
    jamescafc said:
    Hi all - back in Uk for Xmas and looking to get a new road bike. Have a budget of 3-5k and looking for disc brakes and Di2. Any tips, recommendations or advice?
    Ribble Ultra SLR 😁😁😁
  • Options
    After 20 years of MTB I’ve bought myself a Gravel Bike ….got to say their good fun !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So I got knocked off said gravel bike on Sunday and have a broken Tibia. ( Been a shit few weeks)  I have six weeks in a cast. 

Anyone out there found a way to retain some fitness with a broken leg.  
  • Options
    holyjo said:
    So I got knocked off said gravel bike on Sunday and have a broken Tibia. ( Been a shit few weeks)  I have six weeks in a cast. 

Really sorry to hear that, you are not having a great time recently.

I had a bad leg break 12 years ago and was hard to maintain fitness. Swimming was all I could do, but I had 9 months none weight bearing and lots of surgery. Hope the break is not too bad. You might just have to sit it out for a few weeks and eat and drink too much and then hit the fitness in the New Year when you have healed a bit more.
  • Options
    holyjo said:

Oh God, that's shit luck 😔

Get the driver's details? 

Depending on the break, you might be able to get back to it on the turbo after 4-6 weeks... Not much good if you don't have a turbo, obviously! 
  • Options
    holyjo said:

Depending on the break, you might be able to get back to it on the turbo after 4-6 weeks... Not much good if you don't have a turbo, obviously! 
    The driver was aggressive in their driving and didn't stop. They may not have even known that I went down because of the way they boxed me. As I went past their bumper caught my back wheel and I washed out. If Id been on the MTB I would have been wearing knee pads and would almost certainly fell differently due to body position. 

Bloody hurt I know that 

@Leroy Ambrose - do you mean 4-6 weeks after the cast comes off ? I know each case is different 

• Options
    holyjo said:
    holyjo said:

The driver was aggressive in their driving and didn't stop. They may not have even known that I went down because of the way they boxed me. As I went past their bumper caught my back wheel and I washed out. If Id been on the MTB I would have been wearing knee pads and would almost certainly fell differently due to body position. 

Bloody hurt I know that 

@Leroy Ambrose - do you mean 4-6 weeks after the cast comes off ? I know each case is different 

Shithouse. Any cctv anywhere?

Generally the advice depends on the break, obviously. If it's an uncomplicated break, you should be able to do light spinning 4-6 weeks after it, which might be straight after the cast comes off. Make sure you speak to the orthopedic consultant about when is best to start doing light exercise - happily, cycling and swimming are very low impact, so often recommended for rehab of injury anyway
  • Options
    My new Rohloff touring bike from Oxford Bike Works.

• Options
    My Trek Emonda 105 upgraded with carbon wheels that arrived in the summer.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Some great bikes there, you guys have certainly been splashing the cash. How are you finding going from rim to disc brakes on the road @Leroy Ambrose ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some great bikes there, you guys have certainly been splashing the cash. How are you finding going from rim to disc brakes on the road @Leroy Ambrose ?
    Makes no difference in the dry... But a huge amount of difference in the wet, especially descending. Some of the racing I do is on really grippy descents, and rim brakes leave me at a massive disadvantage compared to people on discs, so I'm hoping these will help. Already feel much safer on technical stuff - and I can brake a lot later than on carbon rim brakes which means I'm not wasting as many positions into downhill corners.

Other than that, the R5 is a lovely bike - similar handling to the S5 - not as aero, but climbs better for sure. 
  • Options
    Makes no difference in the dry... But a huge amount of difference in the wet, especially descending. Some of the racing I do is on really grippy descents, and rim brakes leave me at a massive disadvantage compared to people on discs, so I'm hoping these will help. Already feel much safer on technical stuff - and I can brake a lot later than on carbon rim brakes which means I'm not wasting as many positions into downhill corners.

Other than that, the R5 is a lovely bike - similar handling to the S5 - not as aero, but climbs better for sure. 
    Been thinking this is a good excuse to upgrade my bike since I moved up here. Had a big crash going down Sheep House Lane in October and to be fair never got a chance to touch the brakes after hitting a pot hole. But I won’t let that get in the way of the justification for getting a new bike.
  • Options
    My Ribble SL Disc, Di2 which is pretty decent. Need to make my front disc bigger though, as I need more stopping power. Previous bike was a CAAD12, and will forever be my favourite.

• Options
    edited January 2022
  • Options

Been thinking this is a good excuse to upgrade my bike since I moved up here. Had a big crash going down Sheep House Lane in October and to be fair never got a chance to touch the brakes after hitting a pot hole. But I won’t let that get in the way of the justification for getting a new bike.
    The Sheephouse descent is absolutely awful. Was it the top bit (by the tree) or the bottom bit (down near the resi?). Almost got killed there a few years ago racing down it (hilly TT) when some absolute whopper overtook me on the cattle grid. Closest I've ever come to meeting my maker. If anything, disc brakes would probably make that MORE dangerous for me because I'd obviously brake later (cos I knew I'd be able to stop) and therefore take more risks
  • Options
    Didn’t really clock that this thread existed on CL. Here’s a poor quality picture of my Cannondale SystemSix.

I’m doing the Hell of the Ashdown cycle in February. Anyone else done it, or doing it? 

One of my coached riders is. I love the way it's marketed as 'tough' - that's a normal Sunday club run up here 🤣

Got some decent climbs in it though - Kidds is an absolute fucker!
  • Options
    Don't forget to join the Strava club if you're not already a member: 

https://www.strava.com/clubs/charltonlife
  • Options

The Sheephouse descent is absolutely awful. Was it the top bit (by the tree) or the bottom bit (down near the resi?). Almost got killed there a few years ago racing down it (hilly TT) when some absolute whopper overtook me on the cattle grid. Closest I've ever come to meeting my maker. If anything, disc brakes would probably make that MORE dangerous for me because I'd obviously brake later (cos I knew I'd be able to stop) and therefore take more risks
    It was up the top, one second I was cruising down, next I’m in the air thinking I wonder what damage I’m going to do when I land. According to my Garmin, I was doing 32mph. Broke 3 ribs and skinned a lot of my right side. But thankfully although I hit my head it was fine but helmet was broken. Have re built the bike too. But need to get back on it as have piled on the pounds since. Though in my defence I am often getting ambushed by cake.
  • Options

It was up the top, one second I was cruising down, next I’m in the air thinking I wonder what damage I’m going to do when I land. According to my Garmin, I was doing 32mph. Broke 3 ribs and skinned a lot of my right side. But thankfully although I hit my head it was fine but helmet was broken. Have re built the bike too. But need to get back on it as have piled on the pounds since. Though in my defence I am often getting ambushed by cake.
    As soon as I heard the cake ambush line I immediately thought of every single caf I go to on my rides 😂

Can't remember if you're on Strava or not? 'Cruff CCC' to follow me if you are (and don't already!)